If the Church isn't true, how would you know?

Then it is time to talk to some different Catholics!

Stick around these forums and we’ll point you in the right direction.

That is a good start, but only a start. Keep seeking.

Based on whose intepretation, though? I’m Catholic, and I believe the Bible lines up with Catholicism. Or your interpretation? Or Luther’s? Or the Mormon prophet’s?

Who gets to decide which interpretation of the Bible is correct?

Also, how do you know which New Testament books belong in the Bible, in the first place?

(Hint: The Catholic Church passed it along that way)

A good place to ponder is “the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ”. The Church is one with Christ. Christ is Incarnate, and we are invited into communion with him in a real instituted sense. Mystical does not mean a vague spirituality as we moderns might use it.

You are interpreting the “Church is God” as if the trappings of religion are an idol in place of the real God. That’s not what we are talking about.

We are talking about the mystical union of Christ with his Bride, the Church.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p2.htm
Secs 787 and forward.

As I’m sure you’d agree, truth is not determined by popular vote. It doesn’t matter what all of those Catholics think – they’re wrong, and the Church will never change its teachings regarding any of those things, especially due to the whimsical winds of fashionable opinions. You’ll find here that there are more than a few Catholics who not only agree with the Church, but who are ready and happy to defend each of her teachings.

It wouldn’t still be here after 2000 years since Jesus established it.

Everyone worships something, some are mature enough to recognize that human trait, and some like to deny it even while they go on worshiping whatever it is. In this age the worship of self is a big one, in many forms.
The loss of a sense of religious/moral values is absolutely tragic for human beings. It leads to tyranny and force based on arbitrary whims. Loss of human dignity and protection. Etc…

If the Catholic Church were to do as you say, I would know because the Holy Spirit would tell me in my heart.

But I don’t see that happening because Jesus is the Founder of the Catholic Church. And we have His Promise that He will never abandon us. He will be with us always. When we receive the Eucharist, we are receiving Jesus Himself.

It just seems odd that no one finds that phrase scary [doubting the church is doubting Christ]. No disrespect but I just find it odd. It comes off as blind obedience and very cult-ish. Pay, pray, obey.

There’s nothing blind about it. You are welcome to doubt and ask any questions you like. Unlike a cult, you aren’t going to be haul in front of a tribunal or threatened for doing so.

Faith is a choice freely made.

John Henry Newman, while still a Protestant and searching, made the following line, famous.

"To be deep in history is to cease being a Protestant"

He could make that statement by doing his homework. He looked all the way back in history to the beginning of the Church Jesus established on Peter…

IOW applying that formula and historical homework, he found that to be deep in history is to be Catholic in the Catholic Church

You quote John Henry Newman saying “To be deep in history is to cease being a Protestant”…I’m curious why we ALL don’t know more about the history of the Catholic Church and again, the forefathers such as St. Polycarp, St. Jerome, St. Clement of Rome, Justin Martyr, St. Augustine and the like and their writings…And there is a direct lineage from these men to Jesus and The Apostles…In fact, St. Jerome, Ireneaus and Tertullian all wrote or referenced a direct linkage between Polycarp and John The Apostle, with John having appointed Polycarp the Bishop of Smyrna personally, thus extending the faith to the 2nd Century…This early Church history seems to have been all but forgotten, since I don’t hear it discussed much…Those who know haven’t forgotten, though…If anything, one would think that studying the histories of these Church fathers would increase one’s faith in the validity of the Catholic Church as the One True Church…Not that one needs that validity to have faith, of course, although it’s good to know about them…

:slightly_smiling_face: that’s all part of the history Newman recognized when he went deep. As a result he became Catholic.

I’ve used some of that history in various responses. (1st 4 centuries condensed)

HERE link 1

AND

HERE link 2

because it is not taught. And what the public school system teaches is heavily biased. In fact, critical thinking is barely even taught at the college level these days. Philosophy should be introduced at the high school level and all Catholic Schools should teach a course in Church history. 8 years of Catholic Church education and I had nothing of church history. But my mother, a generation before me did get church history in her Catholic School education. Her family members never left the Catholic Church whereas my siblings did. They think they know what the Catholic Church is but they really don’t know and they don’t want to look into it.

This is a seriously scary part about Blind Faith and following a religion and blindly accepting everything as truth. Every religious person I know believes their religion and theirs alone to be true, so obviously all or one of them is wrong, but they will never admit it and many refuse to even accept that some of their religion if not all could be false. Which is why I become more agnostic. One thing we must all admit is that no one knows what happens when you die no one of any religion. So be kind and love one another.

Our faith is not blind. You’ll find on this forum a number of people who converted to Catholicism from a number of faiths, and from agnosticism/atheism. We did not just wake up one morning and decide to become Catholic.

Maybe because we tend to idolize our own experiences, knowledge, tastes.
We must be smarter than those that came before us. They cannot have much worth knowing!
We live in the present, and our human self centered-ness makes it difficult to appreciate that all good things have been passed to us by others. It is difficult truly. This is the danger when progress becomes progressivism.

With all due respect every religion feels the same way that theirs is the truth alone

Sure. But believing this to be the case is not blindness. Blindness would be believing this without reason.

Sadly logic and reason are the first things to go with some people regarding their religion.

The same can be applied to some of those without religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.