If the priest is celebrating the OF alone.

Does he make the responses himself as in.

The Lord be with you.
And with your spirit

This would seem odd.

Number 254 of the GIRM says:

1. Mass should not be celebrated without a minister, or at least one of the faithful, except for a just and reasonable cause. In this case, the greetings, the instructions, and the blessing at the end of Mass are omitted.

In practice… sometimes :smiley:

Saying the responses of the faithful (by the Celebrant) is pretty automatic and might disrupt the “flow” of the Mass in their heads if they are concentrating on skipping them. So it all depends on the Priest. The same goes for speed too.

I agree with this!

Our pastor came to speak to a group of Boy Scouts working on a religious award, and that was one of the questions he answered…

He says there is a form for Mass said privately, and he is able to skip the dialogue parts.

“Do you say it out loud or in your head?” one asked. “In a quiet voice.”

“No homily?” “No, I usually just spend a few minutes reflecting on the readings.”

“What do you wear?” “Usually, just an alb and a stole.”

“How long does it take?” “About 15 minutes, depending on how long I reflect on the readings.”

Thanks guys.

I’ve wondered abou this. I assume the EF requires at least a server/acolyte?

No. It can also be said “solo” if no server is available.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.