If the Real Presence is true then why

This may be a roundabout answer, but we’re all capable of being like her and telling the difference between a wafer and Jesus. The difference is not all of us love Jesus like St. Catherine of Siena did, sadly including myself. I imagine it’s just like recognizing your best friend; it would be pretty much impossible to mistake someone else for him/her.

They sort of did when they came to arrest Him. Twice they said they were looking for Jesus the Nazarene, twice Jesus replied, “I AM,” and twice they fell prostrate before Him. Yet, like Satan before them, they refused to serve Him, even condemning Him for blasphemy for claiming to be the Son of God, though they saw Him reattach a severed ear and heard tell of Him raising Lazarus before thousands of witnesses.

Hierognosis is the word for the ability to detect a holy object.

Little Nellie of Holy God was a hierognostic who died of tuberculosis before her fifth birthday. Her ability to understand the Eucharist and the Real Presence directly influenced Pope St Pius X’s lowering the age for First Communion in 1910 to 7 years old. Before, it was normal for an individual to be at least 10-12 years old.

In my much younger days, when I didn’t know Catholics weren’t supposed to partake of non-Catholic communion services, I personally did exactly that.

Not sure I qualify as any ex-spurt, but I for sure could tell the difference. It’s just not the same as properly confected Eucharist.

The Pharisees did not receive the Eucharist. However Judas from Iscariot did since he was present at the Last Supper. The Eucharist did not change his mind.

If anyone can’t believe Jesus’ own words in Scripture about the Eucharist then they must have a problem. Jesus said it, I believe it and for me that settles it. I’m not about to doubt or question Jesus on this.

Greetings of Peace!
@TiberSwimmer90 Jesus is really present in the Eucharist because He said “THIS IS MY BODY AND THIS IS MY BLOOD” He never says “This IS LIKE my body and this IS LIKE my blood” so it is not a symbol of Christ’s Body and Blood it is literally the Body and Blood of Christ.In John 6:53-56 He said “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them." But if we do not believe that this is the real Jesus we can not be save.:blush::blush::blush:

Yeah, the Scripture (John 6) even makes the point that this was a hard teaching, especially given that Jewish people, under their law, did NOT consume animal blood, let alone human blood. A lot of Jesus’ followers bailed after hearing that they would have to eat Jesus’ body and drink His blood to “have life within them.” They probably thought he was crazy. If it was just symbolic, they wouldn’t have been so unnerved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.