If the romans hadn't persecuted the Christians would the jews have?

We know that the Jews weren’t allowed to put Jesus to death under Jewish law.But Romans could.When the christians were being persecuted by the Romans for the first 3 centuries if they didn’t would the Jews have persecuted the Christians?

The answer is perhaps, since minority groups–especially religious and political ones–seem to have a tendency to become scapegoats. Witness the Jews themselves. While I find your hypothetical question an intriguing one, I can, unfortunately, envision its becoming divisive as the thread develops. Still, I’m interested in what others may think.

I thought that the persecutions came to end when Constantine declared Catholicism the official religion around the middle of the 2nd Century.

Have you the faintest idea of what happened to the Jewish people in that era?

Maybe they wouldn’nt had done so because they were afraid as their power was not up to that of the Romans who made Laws and Judged cases including that of the early Christians

The Jews did persecute the Christians–it’s how St. Paul started out, by hauling Christians away in chains. He too ran into Jewish persecution in Asia Minor by the Jewish leaders there. There were a couple of reasons for this: 1) they very much oppposed the new sect which they considered heretical and blasphemous, and 2) they were afraid the Romans would begin persecuting them because the new sect was going everywhere making converts among their citizens. Not unreasonable reactions, really, by those trying to maintain the status quo.

:thumbsup:

I did not think of Paul so I’m glad you did…The first thing I thought of was “who stoned Steven?”

Peace
James

Constantine ruled around 313AD.Maybe even till sometime later.

1. Constantine never made Christianity the “Official religion of the Empire”. He did legalize Christianity, and he did become an adherent to Christianity himself, which would have had a similar effect…But Roman society remained open as far as religions go.
    (and I believe it was the middle of the 4th century, not the second…

2. The official persecutions of Christians by the Roman’s did indeed end after the legalization of Christianity.

Peace
James

Nor was he the guy who made Christianity the religion of the Empire. He ended the persecutions and made Christianity legal. It was a later guy (though not long after, in historical terms) who actually made Christianity THE religion of the Empire.

Usagi

I thank you for all your replies.So Christians were killled by both Jews and Romans but mostly by the Romans(I expect because their were more of them).Kaninchan:I guess you are referring to the Jews also being persecuted by the Romans Or fighting war with the Romans.

The scale of what happened was breathtaking, valentino.

Yes until 337. My brain was apparently not working. Thanks for being kind and not calling out my obvious stupidity. I was thinking of something else. :banghead:

What I read indictaed that he essentially made religious tolerance the law. Not christianity specifically and indeed changed the legal language to more neutral terms like divinity. I also read that while he did indeed seem to be a Christian adherent , he also maintained other symbolisms to other pagan religions. It was probably for political reasons which must be why there is ongoing controversy over the authenticness of his Christianity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.