If this were your marriage, what would you do?

Or not do…

Well, I’ve been a member of this forum for over a month now, reading, participating, even trying to help others. I’ve given you all parts of my story but yesterday’s counseling session has me reeling and needing some Catholic help. I mean, I have other friends but the Catholic part of this is really important. I am going to be very honest about the reality here, so if it seems like TMI, I apologize beforehand,

Catholic History: I lost my mother at age 10, and church went with her because my dad was a convert and I guess it was HER church and not really his. I experimented with many spiritual directions from then on, including a short spell (pun intended) when I considered myself a witch. Anything but Catholic, I did Zen Buddhism for a while, yoga, meditation, etc. When hubby and I met I wasn’t anything, certainly not attending church nor would I have said I was a Catholic at all. He is a cradle Catholic too, also lapsed for a different reason.

We met in a punk rock bar. We were physical pretty quickly after we met (why not, we didn’t have any reason not to) and I was not a virgin at that point (had lost my virginity at 15). Neither was he. We are a product of the “free love” 60’s and 70’s. I was on birth control and had been since 15. We “dated” for a while, then I got tired of always being in 2nd place to his work and we broke up for a few years. Several temporary relationships ensued on my part. Not sure about what happened on his side.

I was due to leave the state to go to college in 2 days when my best friend ran into him in downtown Denver. I mean, they just literally ran into each other. She told him that I was leaving the state and he asked for my phone number and called me. We met and fell into bed again. We were amazed at the “coincidence” which I later saw as God’s will.

OK, so after another split up, we got back together and I moved into his condo. Things went reasonably well, and then his job was transferred out of state. He proposed to me at that point and I agreed. We moved and we’ve now been married for 22 years. First son was born about 3 years after we married. During the pregnancy I got very sick and could not eat, was losing weight and feared for my baby’s health. I started to pray to God, and made a deal with God that if He would give me a healthy baby I would go back to church. How mature of me (LOL). Well I had a hard time with labor but eventually, we did have that healthy baby and I found that I was so grateful to God for the miracle of this baby, so awed by the creation of life, knowing that most of the credit belonged to God, that I started on my path back to the Church and have not stopped yet.

Needless to say my husband has not taken that same path. He stopped going to church when his parents divorced after a very stormy marriage - he had prayed and prayed for God to send him to Hell instead (this was in the 1960’s) of his parents or not let them divorce. They did divorce and God didn’t send him to Hell, and I believe at that point, he cut God out of his life (at least the God of Catholicism). He was about 14.

He’s always come to church with us, and gone through the motions, including the usual prayer at meals. He allowed me to send the boys to Christian schools. He says he has kept his mouth shut although he disagrees with me on most matters of faith. Yesterday’s session included him saying that he will discuss a subject like abortion with me, but I might not like what I hear. And when he talks about God his face changes - he looks remote and hard. He works to cope with what happened in his life. I go to Al-Anon because work is like an addiction to him. And I am very co-dependent because I have tried to make up for that addiction and pretend it wasn’t there.

So there you are, the whole mess. As I grow in my faith, and want to deepen my commitment, we are pulling farther and farther apart. He says I have walls up - but his walls are against God. The counseling has gotten me to the point where I feel completely hopeless that he will ever want to deal with the pain of his childhood and instead is blaming me for returning back to the Church he no longer believes in. Help.

oh and p.s. I have confessed my promiscuity, use of ABC and all the rest. I still feel guilty and ashamed of that and DH has no idea how promiscuous I was.

Daily Rosary. By yourself.

Visit Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, either in a Eucharistic Adoration Chapel ... a Catholic Church that has Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration or just in front the the regular tabernacle ... and simply look Jesus in the Face and say, "Please help. I don't know what specifics to ask for. And no funny stuff."

That is based on experience.

You have been able to grow and your husband can't. He's rather like my husband in some way, except that mine is a lapsed convert who has no faith in God "because God did nothing' as he headed towards a complete nervous breakdown due to obsessive work (and it would appear, also childhood issues which he has mostly wiped from memory). He has never recovered from his breakdown, which occurred 17 years ago. He however is more likely to disapprove if I don't go to Mass every day and so on, it doesn't fit in with his criteria of behaviour, that if I believe I should go all out, but just not involve him in any discussion about religion and God. Because he is basically courteous, he doesn't discuss his opinion of God if in fact God exists which he disbelieves. My husband's view on abortion is probably similar to your husband's. He would regard fewer human beings to go through this world in the usual suffering etc to not be a bad thing, particularly if they're not wanted by their own parents.

Is he likely to change...like your husband who is also a driven man with some long-term angers he won't discuss, he has an underlying intolerance and cynicism for people and for God. It's not likely to change. I can't talk much of people as he doesn't care for people. He will do kind and helpful things occasionally for known people but others...he doesn't want to know about them. He is though, generally a polite person, and unless I wish to unleash his anger or make him feel utterly exhausted, I avoid all areas of discussion that may cause conflict, as resolution isn't possible, and where he considers me wrong, there is no capitulation, only exhaustion in him and anger if I pursue the matter.

We've been married for over 40 years. He hasn't been able to work since his breakdown so we are together most of the time. It isn't wonderful but we manage to make it passably companionable.

I don't actually know what I can say to help. I live my faith around him without expecting what he can't give and without rubbing his nose in it. He did go to counselling for some years, but even the best gave up on him...not Christian counsellors. When he gave up on God he did so quite genuinely, like your husband. I accept my husband for who he is and am kind and cheerful around him. I don't necessarily always feel cheerful, but it sure doesn't help either of us if I discuss worrying things! I pray for him, and respect his basic goodness, which is there regardless of how damaged he is in some ways...but none of that particularly would help you, I think?

Did I miss it, or did you not provide how long you have been in therapy? Is the therapy as a couple or was this just a one time session for both of you and you usually go alone? Is your husband still willing to continue therapy? That could be the key if he's still agreeing to it. In my experience with my own counseling, it was always much harder and much longer than I expected it to be, to reach a point that I thought I had turned a corner or something. It always got harder right before a breath through as well. Are you also seeking out direction from a spiritual director as well?

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:2, topic:221239"]
Daily Rosary. By yourself.

Visit Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, either in a Eucharistic Adoration Chapel ... a Catholic Church that has Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration or just in front the the regular tabernacle ... and simply look Jesus in the Face and say, "Please help. I don't know what specifics to ask for. And no funny stuff."

That is based on experience.

[/quote]

If this were my marriage - I would do this... :thumbsup:

I too, am unsure about your therapy details, but on the spiritual side of things, you may want to ask for some help from St. Monica. Her husband was one tough customer, but he eventually saw the light, as did her son, whom we now know as St. Augustine.

Here's a link to the Catholic Encyclopaeda page about her: newadvent.org/cathen/10482a.htm

Hope this helps!

TheRealJulianne,

it definitely sounds like a tough situation. Being married to a non-believer is lonely, I know from experience. I'm guessing that you're hoping that your husband will convert one day. Who knows, that may happen. Thing is, that is not in your hands. God is obviously calling you closer and at the moment that is creating a problem in your marriage. Invite Jesus into this mess, as you put it, and ask him to help you. I've had a problem with a family member some years ago and agonised over that relationship for years. At one point I asked Jesus (I remember it was during adoration) to take over and take care of that person because I couldn't deal with it anymore. And he did. Things didn't change magically but something happened, I felt more at peace and that relationship slowly changed for the better. So what I'm saying is put your marriage into his hands. Pray for your husband and your marriage, that God's will be done there. Try to love your husband for who he is. God will do something, that is for sure. It might take time and the results might not be obvious or what you expect, but He will definitely help you in this.

I hope my rambling is of some help.

God bless.

No, it does help, Trishie. You say you live with your husband "companionably." We aren't at that phase of life yet. My husband still expects intimacy from me, yet he offers no real emotional connection and I feel shut down physically because of that. We are at loggerheads with each other. I just want a true connection with him and to be loved for who I am, but he cannot appreciate such a large part of my current self that I feel fake most of the time when we are together. It's like the pie chart of our love is being reduced to a tiny sliver and most of that is our 2 sons. I used to just ignore my emotional needs or get them met through my kids, so I really never expected that from my husband although I always wanted it.

And I feel sad because I am the one who changed. When we married neither of us could have predicted that I would go back to being a faithful Catholic. I sure didn't plan on it! Yet I believe that God called me back, my faith is the best part of my life. I think part of the problem is that I am putting God first in my life and my husband second.

The sex part is huge for him and also huge for me. I just feel as if all of his advances are physical and not emotional so I end up feeling used. I know he wants sex to connect with me but he is totally not affectionate in any other way so even if we hug I am afraid he will start groping me (which he usually does). I would so love to find out what a holy sexual relationship is like! Not likely to happen at this point.

We're messed up, aren't we? I can't type this without crying. How screwed up can any 2 people be and still stay together? I feel God put us together but now what can I do? I can't divorce him because I'm Catholic but I'm not sure I can live with him and not sin because he isn't Catholic!

If your husband feels you have walls up...that you are withholding the degree of warmth he needs, even unconsciously due to your reservations about him because of his genuine attitudes, then it would only confirm to him the unkindness and heartlessness of the God connection. He will only be confirmed in 'knowing' that God gives nothing much.

It was so with his parents and he may be beginning to see that it is happening with you also. He isn't altogether wrong, because the very fact that you are discussing him as any kind of a problem with others, does show a separation from him. Equally so does mine, but my husband would be the first to agree and wouldn't take offence.

He is aware that you think he needs fixing, and that wouldn't feel like unconditional love, so he is likely to throw himself even more into his work. If there are achievable goals at work he will begin to find his hope only fixated on that.

I think DH is unlikely to be concerned about what you did when you weren't dating him. If he knows you started ABC at age 15 and since you started with serious intimacy with him very quickly, he probably has a good idea of the general picture concerning your past. At any rate, whatever you are hiding from him is in degree, not in kind. If he is concerned, but hasn't asked, he probably does not want to think about it. Since he hasn't asked, do not burden him with the information. The only reason you should say anything to him is if you have lied to him about it since you got together for the second time. Otherwise, do not burden him in order to unburden yourself. If your "lies" have been in omission, respect the possibility that he may not want to know. Once you tell him, that cannot be undone.

As for the rest, please seek the counsel of your pastor. You need some reassurance from someone who "has skin on." You are not alone in your "fix", either. I know women who are very active in the Church who have husbands at home who are not friends of the Church. Being a witness is your job. The actual conversion of your husband, though, that is between him and the Holy Spirit.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:1, topic:221239"]

oh and p.s. I have confessed my promiscuity, use of ABC and all the rest. I still feel guilty and ashamed of that and DH has no idea how promiscuous I was.

[/quote]

With respect to the guilt, you might spend a lot of time reflecting on the stories of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1-11), the woman at the well (John 4:1-43), and the woman who anointed the Lord's feet from the alabaster jar in the house of the Pharisee (Luke 7:36-50) and the woman who anointed his head in the home of Simon the leper (Mark 14:3-9, Matt. 26:6-13)

It is the evil one who torments you over sins from which you have been absolved. It is right to do what you can to make amends, to make reparation not just for you sin, but for those still caught in that kind of sin. But as for the guilt, the Holy Spirit is the Paraclete, which is a legal term for an advocate, while Holy Scriptures refers to the evil one as "the accuser." If you are being accused and shamed, rather than called back to reconciliation, know who that comes from.

The sex part, yes neither of you feels really loved, as a big part of you, your faith and hopes, can't be shared, and he feels shut down by his past, and the distance between you, however friendly you are with each other. For years I simply endured that physical aspect, trying to cover as kindly as I could that I hated it....because if you are tolerated, not loved, it's just horrible...his illness makes it rare, for which I was truly grateful, but lately it's been fine for both of us! My husband isn't an affectionate sort of person either, and for many years, totally not affectionate, but now in little ways there are little affectionate gestures sometimes!

He left four times, came back after months living by himself. The last time was just after his breakdown.
I guess in a way we have come out the other side of the long ordeal! I think in his own not very demonstrative way, he is quite fond of me now.

[quote="PatriceA, post:4, topic:221239"]
Did I miss it, or did you not provide how long you have been in therapy? Is the therapy as a couple or was this just a one time session for both of you and you usually go alone? Is your husband still willing to continue therapy? That could be the key if he's still agreeing to it. In my experience with my own counseling, it was always much harder and much longer than I expected it to be, to reach a point that I thought I had turned a corner or something. It always got harder right before a breath through as well. Are you also seeking out direction from a spiritual director as well?

[/quote]

I didn't say - we've been going to a Christian counselor since April. We've had issues with our 2nd son during this time, and my FIL who was blithely undermining our authority by telling our son it was healthy for him to have sex at age 16. My FIL is another cause of strain on our marriage. He and DH are in the same business (FIL is almost 80 and also a workaholic who will never retire) and in fact are in a business venture together. So DH spends a lot of time dealing with his father's dramas which has left him little time for us and even less energy. DH's father is a narcissist, to say the least. DH always says "Aren't you thankful I'm as normal as I am with a father like that?"

I am not going to therapy alone right now and I have considered giving DH an ultimatum that he either goes to start dealing with his issues or we will have to separate. But then "don't make threats you don't intend to carry out," I am afraid of putting him on the spot like that, because he might just choose to leave.

I have spoken to a priest I know. He urged me to keep going to Al-Anon because it helps me. He said not to leave my husband if he is not being cruel or abusive. He is really too busy to be available so I may need to find someone else.

DH wants to change counselors. I'm a little leery of that but the Christian part of the sessions aren't doing him a whole lot of good, so...maybe that would make sense. DH hasn't said he's ready to quit counseling or anything. Yesterday was really hard as he looked me in the face and said, "We can debate abortion but you might not like what you hear." I don't mean to over-dramatize but his expression was so angry!:eek:

I do sidewalk counseling at Planned Parenthood. My sister had an abortion. I bore his 2 sons. He's going to tell me that abortion is OK???

:bigyikes:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:8, topic:221239"]
No, it does help, Trishie. You say you live with your husband "companionably." We aren't at that phase of life yet. My husband still expects intimacy from me, yet he offers no real emotional connection and I feel shut down physically because of that. We are at loggerheads with each other. I just want a true connection with him and to be loved for who I am, but he cannot appreciate such a large part of my current self that I feel fake most of the time when we are together. It's like the pie chart of our love is being reduced to a tiny sliver and most of that is our 2 sons. I used to just ignore my emotional needs or get them met through my kids, so I really never expected that from my husband although I always wanted it.

And I feel sad because I am the one who changed. When we married neither of us could have predicted that I would go back to being a faithful Catholic. I sure didn't plan on it! Yet I believe that God called me back, my faith is the best part of my life. I think part of the problem is that I am putting God first in my life and my husband second.

The sex part is huge for him and also huge for me. I just feel as if all of his advances are physical and not emotional so I end up feeling used. I know he wants sex to connect with me but he is totally not affectionate in any other way so even if we hug I am afraid he will start groping me (which he usually does). I would so love to find out what a holy sexual relationship is like! Not likely to happen at this point.

We're messed up, aren't we? I can't type this without crying. How screwed up can any 2 people be and still stay together? I feel God put us together but now what can I do? I can't divorce him because I'm Catholic but I'm not sure I can live with him and not sin because he isn't Catholic!

[/quote]

The psychologists define a dysfunctional family as a family with more than one person in it. Do not get discouraged because your marriage and family have issues. You're not ignoring your problems. You're dealing with them. That is a good thing, and I am sure it pleases God.

You have a big job here. The Lord knows that, too. It is too big for you. It is probably better to back away, trust God to lead you one step at a time, and start chewing this elephant one bite at a time. Get really friendly with St. Monica, because you're in this for the long haul.

OK, so....your husband sounds as if he is willing to connect with you, just not with God, at least not quite yet. Well, God is patient. Since the sexual issue is a problem that many "purely secular" couples have, realize that it is OK for you to approach your husband with your intimacy concerns in terms that are purely secular. If your husband is going to drag his feet if you put sex and holiness in the same sentence, then leave that part and tackle what he is ready to hear. Rome was not built in a day. You are not a bad Catholic if you realize that you have to use language your husband can hear.

You are not alone. Your story is as old as the faith itself. St. Paul did not encourage marriages between believers and unbelievers, but he did encourage those who came to the faith without their spouses in tow to hang in there, and see what God might do:
To the rest I say (not the Lord): if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she is willing to go on living with him, he should not divorce her; and if any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he is willing to go on living with her, she should not divorce her husband. For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy through the brother. Otherwise your children would be unclean, whereas in fact they are holy. If the unbeliever separates, however, let him separate. The brother or sister is not bound in such cases; God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband; or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
1 Cor. 7:12-16*

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:12, topic:221239"]
DH always says "Aren't you thankful I'm as normal as I am with a father like that?"

[/quote]

It is hard to tell a frog raised by a fish that he's all wet. Hang in there. At least your husband doesn't see his father as the ideal. That is something, anyway.

It's really hard to deal with the not-believing-in-God thing. When a radically emotional situation crashes your faith in God, who appeared to care nothing about prayers that called out from the depth of your being, but in vain, then it's very hard to overcome. Still a child, and vulnerable in his hurt, it didn't figure that his parents had free will, all he knew is that God did nothing. One of my husband''s counsellors asked my husband, "What broke your heart?" he relied, "God did. I tried my very best and there was no response."
That is how it is for your husband also. With the best will, neither your husband nor mine can force themselves to believe in God/in a loving God.

Regarding abortion, yes we value each child, and we know they're infinitely valuable to God.
However if a person doesn't believe in God, and they know how terribly difficult and unhappy life can be...and your husband isn't happy, nor is my husband capable of happiness for more than a few minutes at a time...then it is a logical consequence that they would think the birth of a child isn't the happiest event, and if the parents don't want the child maybe it's better of not living on. That's a logical consequence for unbelief and a degree of depression. Many of us have such strong maternal/paternal caring that we couldn't bear a child being deliberately killed whether we believe in God or not, but for less happy people, and very hurt people...I know there are other possibilities...it's less likely they can logically defend the existence of an 'unwanted child."

After several years, the most intelligent of the counsellors who treated my husband gave up. And my husband wouldn't try again. Your husband may not be able to move past his unbelief and his childhood pain, even with counselling. It isn't necessarily the answer people think it is when they readily suggest counselling. Talking doesn't always help.
And there is a point at which we have to accept the person for whom he honestly is...and keep being Christian in ones attitudes and practice, and continue to pray for him, because in the end only God can give the needed graces.

I know that my answer to every thing is to pray and to deliberately and positively put the situation into God's hands.

Well ... just now I was surfing the net and came across a parish in Maryland and the pastor posted his homily from the Sunday, the Feast of Christ the King.

Here is an excerpt:

But sometimes I forget to trust the Lord in my challenges: I either forget that I can turn to him (and Mary and the saints) in my tough times….or I forget that his love has the power to touch my life and to bring me to new life. I forget….But it is good to remember. So I recalled a story someone sent me in the mail about a priest who was REMINDED to trust in the love and power of the Lord in his ministry, and that Jesus was with him every step of the way. Here is his story:

It’s by Msgr. Scott Friend, of the Diocese of Little Rock, Arkansas.

After my ordination, I was assigned to work with the growing number of Hispanic immigrants in my diocese. I was supposed to develop a ministry for them throughout the state and would drive 3,000 miles every month, knocking on doors looking for immigrants and celebrating Mass in different parishes.

But I got discouraged after a short while. Sometimes I would drive several hours for Mass and only 10 or 20 people would show up. I was frustrated and not sure what to do, and became very cynical about things, though I tried not to show it.

Around the end of October in my third year of the priesthood, I went to a parish called St. Luke’s for a monthly Mass that followed by a meeting with the leaders of the parish. They told me: “Padre, we are making plans for the Mass of Our Lady of Guadalupe in December. We are going to have a big fiesta to feed everyone who will come. We have enough beans and rice, but we don’t have enough meat. Could you find us a deer?”

I thought to myself, “This is it! All the time I spent in school, all the training I’ve had, and these people want me to find a deer as if they grow on trees!” So I said, “Si Dios quiere,” which means, “If God wants it.” However, I meant it sarcastically.

Then Msgr. Scott wrotes: The following Tuesday, I got a call from a man I’d never met before who wanted to talk to me about Hispanic ministry. I invited him to come the next morning for Mass.

The man came up to me, after Mass the next day, with trembling hands and said to me, “Father, do you have a sharp knife and some plastic bags?” Surprised by this request, I asked him what was going on! His answer made my hair stand on end:

He said, “On the way over this morning, I hit a deer, and it is in the back of my car. I need to drain the blood from the deer so that the meat doesn’t spoil.” Speechless, I went into the rectory, got a knife and the bags, and went with him to his car.

Once we got to his car, I began to question the man, because my mind did not want to believe what was happening. I asked him to tell me how this happened. He said that it was really strange: That it was a beautiful morning, and the sun was shining and he was enjoying the drive. He then noticed the deer eating grass on the side of the road. He said that when he got close to the deer, it lifted its head, looked in the direction of his car, and just walked slowly out into the road where it was hit.

While it is not unusual to hit a deer in Arkansas, it is rare when it happens in the daytime. And there was another thing the man did not understand: That there was no visible damage to the car, not even a scratch, only some fur under the bumper. The man said that he was still trembling from the experience.

The man then gave me some deer meat. As I carried it back to the rectory I looked up to heaven and said to God, “You didn’t have to be so dramatic!!”

So I recall, on this Feast of Christ the King, that each of us are accompanied in our life by Jesus, Christ the King, who understands our pain in our tough time, because he walked to Calvary, and who shows us, through the Resurrection, that his love is more powerful than any problem in this world, and can guide us to new life.

May each of us remember that, on this day.

[quote="EasterJoy, post:14, topic:221239"]
It is hard to tell a frog raised by a fish that he's all wet. Hang in there. At least your husband doesn't see his father as the ideal. That is something, anyway.

[/quote]

That is a maxim I have never heard before! You have me an honest smile on a very tough day, thank you!

No, hubby is a good man, and he told me once that he knew our kids would be OK not because of him, but because I had a pretty good childhood compared with him. And my mother DIED when I was 10! Both of his parents are still living! He knows he got jacked in the parent department. His mother is an intense person in her own right, not a narcissist but somewhat intrusive in some ways.

"Hard to tell a frog raised by a fish that he's all wet!" Did you make that up?? It's really good. :thumbsup:

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:16, topic:221239"]
Around the end of October in my third year of the priesthood, I went to a parish called St. Luke’s for a monthly Mass that followed by a meeting with the leaders of the parish. They told me: “Padre, we are making plans for the Mass of Our Lady of Guadalupe in December. We are going to have a big fiesta to feed everyone who will come. We have enough beans and rice, but we don’t have enough meat. Could you find us a deer?”

I thought to myself, “This is it! All the time I spent in school, all the training I’ve had, and these people want me to find a deer as if they grow on trees!” So I said, “Si Dios quiere,” which means, “If God wants it.” However, I meant it sarcastically.

Then Msgr. Scott wrotes: The following Tuesday, I got a call from a man I’d never met before who wanted to talk to me about Hispanic ministry. I invited him to come the next morning for Mass.

The man came up to me, after Mass the next day, with trembling hands and said to me, “Father, do you have a sharp knife and some plastic bags?” Surprised by this request, I asked him what was going on! His answer made my hair stand on end:

He said, “On the way over this morning, I hit a deer, and it is in the back of my car. I need to drain the blood from the deer so that the meat doesn’t spoil.” Speechless, I went into the rectory, got a knife and the bags, and went with him to his car.

Once we got to his car, I began to question the man, because my mind did not want to believe what was happening. I asked him to tell me how this happened. He said that it was really strange: That it was a beautiful morning, and the sun was shining and he was enjoying the drive. He then noticed the deer eating grass on the side of the road. He said that when he got close to the deer, it lifted its head, looked in the direction of his car, and just walked slowly out into the road where it was hit.

While it is not unusual to hit a deer in Arkansas, it is rare when it happens in the daytime. And there was another thing the man did not understand: That there was no visible damage to the car, not even a scratch, only some fur under the bumper. The man said that he was still trembling from the experience.

The man then gave me some deer meat. As I carried it back to the rectory I looked up to heaven and said to God, “You didn’t have to be so dramatic!!”

So I recall, on this Feast of Christ the King, that each of us are accompanied in our life by Jesus, Christ the King, who understands our pain in our tough time, because he walked to Calvary, and who shows us, through the Resurrection, that his love is more powerful than any problem in this world, and can guide us to new life.

May each of us remember that, on this day.

[/quote]

Wow, that's an amazing story. "You didn't have to be so dramatic!" Indeed, but maybe He did, to shake this priest out of his cynicism. Kind of hope the Lord doesn't think I need something that dramatic...but all in His will...Thanks.

Did I put this in Parenting by mistake? I thought I had posted it in Family Life, because it really isn't about parenting but about my marriage. Could the mods move it over to Family Life or did they move it from Family Life?

I am confused!!!

:confused:

Won't be the first time.

I think you put it here to begin with. Don't worry....we all have days like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.