If we are tempted by satan, does that mean we do not have full consent to any mortal sin?

In other words, if we are being influenced by satan, doesn’t that diminish our “full consent” with regard to any mortal sin?

Satan is the prince of deception,confusion and is very adept at getting to us via our fears and weaknesses,it is all too easy to be led astray but in the end we do have the free will to fight him.A well formed conscience will help to strengthen us against his ploys.so no,I don’t think our culpability is mitigated by his power.

No, Satan tempts us, but ultimately it is our fault for giving in to his temptations.

You should be a lawyer… or are you a lawyer? Great question either way! I have to agree though, it does not diminish our capacity.

What if the temptation is beyond ones capabilities though?

I realize many people like the old saying of ’ God will never give anyone more than they can handle’, implying that he would only ‘allow’ satan to go so far, depending on the person, but since many people commit suicide for whatever reason, maybe God is giving them more than they are capable of…right?

Plus, how much someone can handle, is going to vary greatly from person to person.

Our Lord God is infinitely perfect. It is never His fault if we succumb to temptation.

I don’t know where people get these ideas from! :shrug:

Adam & Eve were told not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil…satan tempted them & God punished them for disobeying Him.

No diminished punishment…very clear from the beginning.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1Cor10:13

(Deuteronomy 13:3): “The Lord your God trieth you, that it may appear whether you love him.”

Temptation is about proving a person’s love for God, which is to the person’s spiritual good and therefore not about taking away responsibility but rather allowing us to use it for good.

The godless would prefer that we be treated as wet noodles and never be trusted with being responsible adults. Thank goodness, God sees us otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.