If willing, can you guys recommend some good books about Catholicism and its history or just about Catholicism in general.

I want to study this faith farther, I am really starting to think its true, can you guys recommend Books about the faith?

[quote="studychristian, post:1, topic:290395"]
I want to study this faith farther, I am really starting to think its true, can you guys recommend Books about the faith?

[/quote]

Catholicism For Dummies

A Brief Catechism for Adults

This was the book my parish uses for cathechizing potential converts. Its very bullet point but contains a lot of doctrine.

I reccomend “Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church” by H.W. Crocker III

Its a great book that offers a great commentary to Church History.

A friend was converted by reading Peter Kreeft’s writings about the catechism called ‘THE LUKE E. HART SERIES’. You can order them one at a time or a few… they are reasonably priced and the whole package… Since they are each SMALL they are easy for a beginner (I’m a new Catholic myself).

Wow, thanks for asking… these books are available online kofc.org/un/en/cis/podcasts/hart/index.html you can read them in pdf by clicking read or play to listen!! What do you think about them? I’m on the third one of ‘What Catholics Believe’

Start by listening to the first one, FAITH.

Jess

P.S. Being a new Catholic, I remember my journey well… Attending mass and staying in the pew during Eucharistic Adoration helped tremendously… and the Rosary, I would pray at night once a week and if I didn’t… my days didn’t go as well. (Today I pray it daily usually) You can also listen on youtube… Donna Cori Gibson sings the Divine Mercy Chaplet and this is beautiful to listen to before bed. You can read up on how that started with St. Faustina… Amazing stuff!! So happy you’re swimming in the deep water :wink: God Bless~~

The Fathers of the Church - by Mike Aquilina
On Being Catholic - by Thomas Howard
Any thing by Scott Hahn

Here’s a starter.
shop.catholic.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
shop.catholic.com/product.php?productid=228
youtube.com/watch?v=r7W97ru024c&feature=fvwrel
youtube.com/watch?v=NG3QdH7Z74s&feature=related

May the Lord God richly bless you and light your way on your Faith journey.

Scott Hahn*
St. Augustine*
The Book of Truth

Anything Scott Hahn, he is arguably the best Catholic writer/apologist of our time

"This is the Faith: A Complete Explanation of the Catholic Faith" - Rev. Canon Francis Ripley (Tan Publishing)

Scott Hahn…these I would recommend for you:

Lord Have Mercy (about the sacrament of confession), Hail Holy Queen (about the Marian dogmas), The Lamb’s Supper (about the eucharist and Mass), Catholic for a Reason series…and for starters…

Signs of Life
In Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots, Dr. Scott Hahn guides readers through the Catholic Church’s rites, customs, and traditional prayers. From the Rosary to the use of Holy Water – from infant Baptism to praying with icons – Dr. Hahn helps you to discover the deep biblical and historical roots of each practice. Each chapter covers a single topic, beginning with the basic facts from Church teaching and tradition, and then proceeds to answer common objections to and misconceptions about the practice. Each chapter concludes with advice for everyday application.

scotthahn.com/scott-hahn-books.html

I forgot…anything about the Sainsts…

My recommendation:

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis

Welcome. :slight_smile:

If you wish to study the Church’s teachings in a more detailed way than the simplified Catechism, this site may help you

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Warm regards, Trishie

Any book of a saint is a good read.

I had no idea there were so many good books. I am listing them down, maybe I can find them at a local bookstore here. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

God bless!!

My Catholic Faith: A Manual of Religion” (Angelus Press, $40, hc) is a beloved classic and an awesome, very readable resource. It is a Catechism from the 1950’s, geared for young people, filled with illustrations, with a great layout, easy to read and to reference. I can’t think of a more traditional and straightforward source of information about the Catholicism. Yes, I suppose you could get “Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church” (USCCB, $15, pb) which is a useful and concise, if slightly dry, summary of the Catechism but it is nowhere as delightful as “My Catholic Faith” (My church has them for sale at $30 - I’d cover shipping!).

Scott Hahn is good for people coming to the faith as he was a Presbyterian minister who converted. He’s very contemporary and easy to read. Since you are looking for something to explain the Catholic Faith, start with “Reasons To Believe” (DLT, $13, pb). It deals specifically with the questions you most likely have and the answers you are looking for.

Once you feel like you know the faith more comfortably, check out “The Story of a Soul” by St. Therese of Lisieux - an account that shows the beauty and simplicity at the heart of the Catholic Faith.

"How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. This book is what made it possible for me to return to the Church. I was so discouraged by the sex abuse scandals, I stopped going. Every time I thought of the Catholic Church, I thought "pedophiles". What a terrible connection. After reading this book, the scales fell from my eyes. Any church that can accomplish all that the Catholic Church has done, is truly the Lord's church. It absolutely is the foundation of Western Civilization, and I couldn't be prouder to be a part of it. :)

BTW, the aforementioned “Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church” is probably the best history of the Church for starters.

Also, here’s a link to an interview about the Hahn book: Scott Hahn Interview About Reasons To Believe

Another good book that is a departure from the heavier reading of the previously mentioned books is “Pray, Hope, and Don’t Worry: True Stories of Padre Pio” by Diane Allen. It’s full of eyewitness testimony of Padre Pio’s mystical and miraculous events. I friend of mine had an aunt that knew Padre Pio personally and corresponded with him for years. She was a Lutheran and became Catholic because of him. She said he was the real deal. :thumbsup:

The following list focuses on ecclesiastical history :

The First Seven Ecumenical Councils by Fr. Leo Donald Davis, SJ.
History of the Church by Eusebius
The Christian Tradition (4 vol.) by Jaroslav Pelikan
The Early Church by Henry Chadwick
The History of the Franks by St Gregory of Tours
Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Venerable Bede
Medieval Civilization by Jacques Le Golf
The Reformation by Diarmaid MacCulloch
The Rhine Flows into the Tiber by Fr. Ralph M. Witgen

And a good book on spirituality:
Christian Spirituality in the Catholic Tradition by Fr. Jordan Auman

THANK YOU ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIRST VIDEO. AND THE SECOND I AM WATCHING NOW. IT INSPIRED ME TO FINALLY PAINT A SCRIPTURE FOR MY WALL! THE FAMILY’S NOT CATHOLIC OR VERSED IN CHRIST SO THIS WILL HELP!! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366102816793878&set=a.124250407645788.22685.100001824880493&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.