If you are against celibacy of priests, Why?

If you are against priests’ being celibate, can you explain why?

Peter was married and that is good enough for me.

It’s a man made discipline and more to do with inheritance and protection of property than scripture or apostolic tradition.

i’m not totally against it, i’m not totally for it

hey, if they do allow married priests in the Catholic Church, i might sign up :wink:

but thats also the reason i don’t want married priests. i don’t want my donations going to be spent on their family vacations or their kids college fund. besides, St. Paul says it best:

1 Cor 7:32-33
32 But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. 33 But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife.

I’m not against it but I think it shouldn’t be manditory but a choice to marry or not. I have heard that the reason they are not allowed to marry is so they won’t be distracted by their spouse and can fully do God’s work. Is this true, if so I really don’t see the logic to it.

its in the bible, look at my earlier post :thumbsup:

I’m not opposed to priestly celibacy at all but would like to see a level of priesthood where marriage is an option as well. Simply because we’d have more priests.

Me too, just like the Eastern Catholics and Orthodox. I wonder if the permanent diaconate is popular since being married before ordination to the diaconate is allowed in all churches…

I know that God calls people to the priesthood, however I think that some may not be open to hearing that call because of the celibacy practice.

What does that mean, though? That all priests should be married? Or that it should be a choice?

If you think it should be a choice, what do you based that on? If Peter is the type, then all clergy should be male and married. Is that what you’re suggesting?

You’re against celibacy because it is a discipline. Why is this discipline a bad thing?

I am not against celibacy. I am opposed to it being a prerequisite for ordained ministry because it is not biblical for it to be a requirement. It should be a choice for the person. The Lord can use a person at various times in their lives. We must not allow our practices to limit Him unless we are 100 percent sure that it was His will. The Catholic Church allowing married Anglican priests and married Eastern Catholic clearly shows that there are some examples that Rome considers okay. So why not Latin Rite as well? How can it be okay for one person but not another?

My bad. I stand to be corrected. Thanky you for the correction.

just to be clear on the passage, St. Paul did not require celibacy. he just made an argument in favor of it. he did not prohibit anyone in Corinth or anywhere from getting married but has asked those who were called and single that they should stay single.

the Catholic Church just made it mandatory from a certain point in time that those who would receive the sacrament of Holy Orders to make a vow of celibacy. and as mentioned in this thread, its more of a discipline rather than a doctrine and if the church decides to change it in the future, they can.

but St. Paul’s argument does make sense. he wants those who wish to serve God to not be concerned with anything else but God.

Did I say it was a bad thing?

The question was are you against it and why.

I told you.

I didnt say it was bad.

homosexual people are called to be celibate…nuns are called to be celibate…unmarried people are called to be celibate…post marital people are called to be celibate ( that’s me ) and really not that bad after the initial shock to the system and you gain the ability to see things in a different uncluttered way. Strange as it may seem I understand why celibacy is a MUST for priests. Priests must be able to carry out their pastoral duties to their flock without the burden of worldly pleasures of the flesh…God demands it and I understand why. GOD BLESS ALL on CAF
Had to post edit there after realising it was for those against celibacy…but the above stays …pre emptive strike against the “against” brigade…well someone did say there was possible trouble ahead…so what the heck!

Well, that’s one way to dismiss it without having to do much study of the discipline. :shrug:

It is not a must because not all Catholic priests are celibate. If there are married priests, and there are, why is it okay for some and not others? Its two sets of rules

I think that is confusing as well. Especially now that the Catholic church wants to bring many (married) Anglicans into their fold. At some point the celibate priests are going to start wondering why others can get married and they can’t.

I don’t think it is necessarily a bad thing. To be honest, many of my favorite pastors have been celibate and single. However, I do not think that many people are called to be celibate, and I don’t think that the call to celibacy and the call to ministry necessarily have to coincide. There are celibate people outside the ministry, and there should be room for married individuals inside the ministry.

“Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”

–1 Cor. 7:8-9

sinnegam,
Priests aren’t restricted from “pleasures of the flesh” except for sex / marriage. They can drink, they can smoke, they can indulge in rich foods and yummy desserts…they’re only restricted from the one thing that might help the pressures of the priesthood to be borne a little easier. I don’t want to see an all-married priesthood; I’m old-fashioned enough to want celibate priests, but I don’t think it’s necessary or should be required at all levels of the priesthood. It used to be that convert priests from other denominations couldn’t be pastors, only associates. Now they can. I think it’d be a swell idea if there were a priesthood that remained at the associate level who could already be married and stable, like deacons are now.

Ive read some around the subject, including the arguments and vatican documents referenced here: sancarlo.pcn.net/argomenti_inglese/pagina40.html

The fact there are married catholic priests, and the Orthodox has full Apostolic succession and marry ( I know about Bishops having to be unmarried ) makes it an inconsistent discipline to me.

I see the good in celebate priests, I see the good in married priests.

I dont personally agree that catholic priests of the latin rite should have to live under that discipline.

Like the Pope cares what I think :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.