If you are present 2000 years ago

If you are alive during the passion of the Christ, do you think that you could have done what theJews did? Like shouting “crucify Him” or even cursing Jesus christ?

[quote=viktor aleksndr]If you are alive during the passion of the Christ, do you think that you could have done what theJews did? Like shouting “crucify Him” or even cursing Jesus christ?
[/quote]

I suppose it would depend on how much former knowledge I had. I doubt I could have done this had I been at, say, the Sermon on the Mount or had some other personal experience which would have made me question the situation. But, if all I knew about him was the negative picture painted by the Jewish authorities (whom, as a good Jew, I would respect) then I would have been against Jesus.

Since the Passion occured during Passover, Jerusalem was crammed with pilgrims who had never personally known or experienced Jesus. I imagine the vast majority of those shouting and cursing belonged to this group of pilgrims.

But, if all I knew about him was the negative picture painted by the Jewish authorities (whom, as a good Jew, I would respect) then I would have been against Jesus.

This is the most tragic part, and the one so often forgotten. Good Jews followed the lead of their priests and scribes. Most of the people shouting at Jesus were actually very devoted, faithful Jews. Many of them likely had heard (or believed) only what their trusted leaders had said. This was the time before t.v. and radio, after all, and a faithful Jew who had not personally met or heard Jesus was practically obligated to submit to the judgement of the elders. Jesus even said as much to them when He said “do everything they tell you to do.”

My answer is the same as the first poster’s, assuming I was a Jew. I don’t have any comprehension of the pagan mindset of the time, so I can’t speak for that. I will say that at a point in my life, my philosophy exactly mirrored what we see of Pilate: having listened to God tell him that He’d come to speak Truth, Pilate said “What is truth?”. That kind of in-your-face denial is how I was five years ago.

I think the actions of those present at the passion is symbolic of all of humanity. It is my understanding that when we sin, we ARE rejecting Jesus crucified just as many did during His life.

[quote=DavidFilmer]the negative picture painted by the Jewish authorities
[/quote]

but Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea

Even if you wanted to go against the Jewish leaders, you would have had to tend with the Romans who dispised Jews to begin with.

“Not My Will but Thy Will be done”.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]If you are alive during the passion of the Christ, do you think that you ***could have done *** what theJews did? Like shouting “crucify Him” or even cursing Jesus christ?
[/quote]

the key in this question is “could have done”. yes, every single human being is capable of every sin…including the complete rejection of Christ by demanding His crucifixion. a wise man once said never to put yourself above any sin because that opens you up to putting yourself under that sin.

I think we would all hope that we could have been a follower of Jesus but remember even the apostles and disciple abandoned Him when He needed them most.

Most people are skeptical of new teachings, and for the normal Jew, Jesus was radically new. His message of charity and hope is very appealing, but He was completely non-conventional.

The tougher question is could we have been like one of His disciples or apostles, they gave up everything to follow Him, that is far harder than what we do now. We give up a hour of two each week. Imagine having to quit your job or leaving your family behind. The followers of Jesus back then had to do what our clergymen basically have to do today.

Making a living and supporting a family back then was much harder than now and I think following Jesus back then is probably much harder than today. And just think if you were a Christian or a convert about a hundred years later, you have to risk facing certain death with the lions and animals in the arenas.

Things are a lot more subtle today, but back then martyrdom was a very real possibility.

It would have been really nice to know Jesus or to have seen Him, but it was no picnic. As far as being part of the mob who put Him on the cross, we are all guilty of that to some extent. IF we did not sin, He would not have had to be crucified.

wc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.