If you could ask the pope one thing....

Catholics, Non-Catholic Christians, Jews, Muslims and everyone else, if you were allowed to ask the Pope one question, what would you ask?

I think for this fantasy exercise we’ll say that no question is off limits and that he would give you an honest answer to any question you ask.

I would ask him if he has ever heard the famous advice from American president TR to speak softly and carry a big stick. My fantasy is to see him go after some dissident bishops the way the good sisters used to take on the most disruptive boys in our HS class.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
… Exodus 20:4&5

“Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.” … Leviticus 26:1

My one question to the Pope would be:

Since the warning against doing such acts is so explicitly stated in the Second Commandment, then why are Popes willingly choosing to bow down to statues and graven images?

Where can I get one of those nifty Pope mobiles?

In all seriousness I would ask if he’d bless a rosary and give it to me.

Those verses clearly deal with making statues for the express purpose of having them as a god. Catholics don’t worship the statue, they certainly don’t believe they are their god.

How about that little rock Muslims have in Mecca. What would you call cramming into a mosque and circling it like it several times? Is the stone more important than God? You accuse Catholics of the same things Muslims do. How convenient.

But now we’re getting off topic.
If I had one question, I’d ask for the most memorable point in his journey to Christ.

Will you join me with a beer? :smiley:

God bless

In 2010 and 2011, two years running, Easter will coinincide in both the Eastern and Western reckoning.

This is a God-sent opportunity to come up with a common date of Easter. Probably the easiest way would be to adopt the Eastern computation.

But who knows when another such golden opportunity will occur? Let’s not waste it!

hahahahaha
i was gonna say something similar, but mine would have been recommend a good German beer :smiley:

I would ask him to pray for me, and my family.

As others have said:

a) We don’t bow down to statues/objects in the intention of worshiping them. The Japanese bow to each other as a formal gesture, certainly not in the intention of making them “gods”.

b) Muslims themselves bow down to that one cube-thing in Mecca. According to your logic, Muslims break that commandment five times a day 24/7.

i would ask “Vie gehts mein Papa?” (How are you my Father in Jesus?) Just kidding.

i would ask him "How can i find the courage to serve Jesus as beautifully, as completely and as fearlessly as you have?"

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I would ask him to have his most conservative Cardinals investigate the Bishops and priests who have masses that have much abuse in them and don’t follow the original guidelines and then deal with them in a firm but loving manner.

Also appoint more conservative Bishops.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

The following bit of news appeared prior to the 2008 US papal visit:

Pope Benedict XVI has a pilot’s license for the papal helicopter and likes to fly from the Vatican to the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo, but the pope does not have a driver’s license as he never learned to drive a car.

popevisit2008.com/funfacts.php

Is this true?

“Holy Father, I would love to hear you tell me about your childhood, and how you decided to become a priest.” (basically, tell me your life story) :wink:

Then I would just sit and listen, and hopefully learn.

~Liza

My question (apart from the gazillion other questions I’d want to ask) would be, do you think you will be declared a Saint?

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Salaam/peace

As a Muslim , it will be hard for me to meet Pope. So , 1 question is not enough for me , I want to ask many :slight_smile:

1. In your lifetime , if Jesus (pbuh) comes back & u see that he is actually a Muslim :smiley: , will you accept Islam & tell other Christians to do
    so ?

2. Sometimes do u feel that it’s wrong to worship Jesus (pbuh) as God Almighty ?

3. Catholics give u so much honour …do u really deserve it ?

4. Any advice for those Catholics who are hostile to people of other faiths ?

5. Are u sure , on the final day , you will be able to go to heaven ?

Maybe you should ask God if he accepts a 53 year old having sex with a 9 year old! I dont think he would… :rolleyes:

hmmm, idk, maybe one of these:

Do you really think their your God’s voice on Earth?

If you could choose to wage a war against other religions and know your side would win, would you do it?

Their are others, but them are the two that I thought of.

In all honesty I think I would just ask him what it felt like to be Pope…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.