If YOU could.change the Catholic Church

AH, the one best passage of the bible Protestants refers to
when they want to support their belief in Sola Scriptura.
Would be a shame if it refuted itself…

Oh wait…

Read the verse before, 2 Timothy 3: 15
And tell me why you and every protestants are wrong about verse 16-17.

Tim.3 Verses 13 to 17

[13] while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived.
[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Very good

Thank you

God Bless

PJM

Actually, I referred to a stronger clue in verse 15:
“and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” (…)

If Timothy knew these scriptures from his childhood, that means only one thing:
Paul can only be talking about the Old testament, which was the only Scripture present back then: Paul didn’t had the N-T in mind when making that statement.

So, following this context:
The protestants declare (without knowing) that the O-T is “sufficient”. By this logic, the N-T isn’t useful at all.
(notice how the Bible doesn’t even say “sufficient”, but uses words such as “profitable”: therefore not complete)

Protestant contradictions and confusions at its best,
yet verses like these are the foundation of their belief system.

Sounds like something my ancestor nailed to the Church door 5 centuries ago…

My wife was a teacher before becoming a stay at home mom, and I used to interview people for my job.

Here why I would be totally against a Catholic School offering a job to a non-Catholic before posting the positing:
– All school (public and private) should be posting for positions. You want the BEST possible candidate for each position.
– To be fair, I would object to a Catholic school hiring a Catholic without posting

Hiring someone without posting for the job is not proper candidate screening. There is always someone better if you look hard enough. Now, perhaps that better person doesn’t live in your area, but perhaps he/she does. A hiring manager will never know without posting.

Thank you for your answer, but that doesn’t really answer the question to @kinghenery17 (not sure you’ve seen any of his comments, pretty sure they’re gone as well as him).

Are you offended that a Catholic School hired a protestant without looking for a Catholic candidate? It’s not because of the hiring practice of not opening the job, but about a Catholic School holding a protestant in high regards. I’m a hiring manager too, I’ve had positions I’ve opened but I 99.9% knew who I was hiring if that application came in.

Oh, and BTW, there was no one in the tri-state area that had the resume I could put together, so good luck to them finding someone better. :grin:

I would remove abusive priests, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, its structure is up to God.

I don’t have a problem with hiring a protestant as long as they agree to support Catholic teaching or at bare minimum do nothing to undermine it.

However, I do think it’s appropriate for a Catholic school to attempt to hire practicing Catholics first.

I’m aware of Catholic Schools that have some “catholic teachers” who don’t go to Mass on Sunday. To me, that’s a bigger outrage.

I would rather have a faithful protestant who doesn’t undermine the faith teaching at a Catholic school than a dissent Catholic teaching at a Catholic School.

I also think, Catholic Schools should attempt to make sure that at least 75% of their teachers and all of the board of directors are Catholics faithful to the Magisterium of the Church and willing to sign a document attesting to their fidelity.

God Bless

And these schools should at least try not to hire reformists or liberals (permissive free-thinkers).
These are the ones responsible for weak faiths, and bendable ideologies taught to the next generations.

So even though you have a protestant with a strong resume sitting in front of you, you’d rather hold out and take the chance of losing out on them in hopes that a Catholic with a comparable resume may come along? Especially in this case when the protestant has all the qualifications the school is looking for to the point they contact the individual asking them to take the job.

Hello - I think you are either (a) misunderstanding my point or (b) twisting my words.

Of course, one should not drag out the hiring process just to wait for a Catholic applicant.

I’m simply implying that all things being equal and under normal circumstances, a Catholic School should prioritize and seek qualified Catholic teachers who are faithful to the magisterium.

If no good Catholic applicants applies then you obviously can’t interview a Catholic, and should not drag out the hiring process just to find a Catholic applicant. But normally, that’s not an issue.

However, I do seriously object to anyone interviewing & hiring a person without interviewing anyone else.

I’m not misunderstanding or twisting anything.

You said that Catholic schools should attempt to hire practicing Catholics first.

Now, you stated that “normally” it’s not an issue to get good Catholic applicants.

It’s possible that they may have gotten a “good” candidate, but not in this case. At least one that was going to get even close to my resume.

Now, my initial question (before this all got mucked up in hiring practices) that was to @kinghenry17 : Are you offended that a Catholic school looked so highly of a protestant that they’d actually seek that person out for a position?

If you’d like to answer that question (I think kinghenery is gone), that’s all I’m looking for.

No, I’m not offended, but I’m confused. What subject would warrant this? What kind of resume do you have that makes you that special?

I can see colleges doing this, but I fail to understand why this would be needed in K-12.

Again, I’m not offended by a specific person being seeked, but I don’t really understand the true need. There is a lot that you do not mention here… Why were they desperate to fill the position, what makes you such a great candidate, etc.

This is a very small thing, but I would change it so that it wasn’t a custom that people could get up and walk out during the last hymn after the final blessing. I love being Catholic and love everything about the church except that. As a Protestant convert it makes me cringe. People’s jaws would hit the floor in a Protestant Church if one were rude enough to walk out before the last hymn was over, lol…

As stated above, it was a coaching position, and you answered you’re not offended.

I don’t think the details of my resume are really needed. Let’s just say there aren’t many in our area with the type of specialization I have.

And coaching would not be an issue for me (unless the coach was trying to lead kids away from the Church)

St. Benedict doesn’t want me making any changes in the Church :slight_smile:

I don’t think you offended just protestants…just say’n

Remember, as I stated up thread, I didn’t look for work there, they didn’t just hire a protestant, they came after me and asked me if I wanted the job. I took the job without even thinking twice about it. I didn’t have a problem with the organization, it was years after I left before I figured out that some Catholics carry the same opinion as yours about protestants. I was raised that we are all a Christian family, never thought anything else.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that you look so lowly of protestants that you’d prefer they hire a Catholic, rather than the more qualified protestant (which I think you made apparent…and is kind of sad)

P.S., it’s not football (doesn’t matter anyway) and I was a hit with the parents :grin:

I don’t really care who you offended either, to be honest. I for one wasn’t.

Anyway, I’m not refusing anything. What did I not address that you’d like a specific response to?

I understand that some Catholics are great people, heck…if they weren’t I don’t think I’d be married to one. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This was St. John’s collegeville and it is in a state of disgrace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.