If YOU could.change the Catholic Church

To be fair the families may not all live in the same area as the deceased.

Yeah, I kind of am. Rather, if it were to happen, I wouldn’t be opposed to it. I don’t see the all-male priesthood as a foundation of the Church; it’s a lot less important than our doctrines and things like the Trinity, Virgin Mary, Assumption, transubstantiation, the seven sacraments, etc. (and I don’t mean to open the debate that it can never happen because .

We don’t need female priests. We need more male priests.

OK, I want to ask you a couple honest questions reading what you’ve said above (and in other threads) about Lutherans.

When I was in college, the local Catholic High School called me and offered me a coaching position. They never posted the job, they wanted to know if I wanted it at all before posting it. I didn’t seek them out, they came after me.

1. Would /does it offend you that a Catholic high school would think so highly of a protestant to actually go seek them out for a position rather than opening it up and hoping a Catholic with a resume even close came along.

2. If you had kids in said school, paying tuition, would you prevent them from playing that sport due to their coach not being Catholic?

The Australia thing is probably due to some newer churches seeing the “historical value” churches charging money, and figured they could do the same and no one would bat an eye.

My parish here in Canada asked us for twenty bucks. We paid that, and my wife bought Monsignor gift card to Chapters (he later told me he used it to buy a blu-ray involving marine life or something marine science documentary thing - caught me by surprise as I had no idea he was into that kind of stuff!).

Doctrines I would change; none, because they are immutable. So even if I wanted to, I couldn’t.

as a coach, its OK [IMO]

as a teacher, NOT SO, if there are reasonable alternatives

GBY,
Patrick

I’m not sure I agree. If an English teacher is teaching them “present, past and perfect” and they go of topic to the Catechism, then it is what it is. Of topic!

Now if it was Catholic Religion class, well that’s something else.

I absolutely agree,

But from personal experience in our Parish School of Religion which goes back nearly 100 years, there has been a lack of CATHOLIC school teachers applying for these positions. So our parish had to decide to go with some none NC teachers or close the School, or just not OFFER the grades that cold not be filled by Catholic teachers.

So my comment was based on first hand personal experience

GBY, I’m going to try to send this a s a Private message as I have been unable to use that important function

Patrck [PJM].

Thank you for your reply, although the question(s) were really meant for @kinghenery17 due to his remarks above about NC’s working within the Catholic church.

I do find it surprising that, let’s say, this was a math position and I had the resume to have the school come offer me the job before even opening it up that you’d rather wait for a Catholic with a resume even close to come along and apply, or not offer at all than have a NC with a stellar resume. That honestly…baffles me.

I know why my Catholic wife turned down a position at one of the more prominent Catholic H.S.'s here. It paid about 1/2 of what other schools offer.

Half? Like $80k vs $160k? :thinking:

Don’t know many teachers…do you…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

At the time, the Catholic H.S. was low-mid 20K, others were closer to 40K.

Yeah, I know a few, but perhaps not in your country (USA?) :wink:

Those are very low salaries for high school (by which I mean the last 6 years of school) teachers.

It’s difficult to see such salaries encouraging talented and capable people into the profession. And who can afford to take equivalent jobs at half the salary - only those not able to compete for the better paid job.

Ya, pretty much. When I was coaching, I made about 1/2 of what some other counterparts were making at other schools.

What would I change? I’d change the ambiguity that so many priests, parishes, etc… profess when confronted with social/moral questions. It seems to me that Catholic teaching on moral issues, and many of the social issues of today, is pretty cut and dry. Yet you’ll find no end of clergy and others in leadership positions within the church, particularly in the west, that equivocate on such matters to try and seem overly inclusive. Heck it’s that kind of equivocation that kept me in the RCC as long as I did stay.

I think the Catholic Church emphasizes Mary a bit too much, although I think most Protestants don’t emphasize her enough for her role in the salvation of mankind. .

In most Protestant churches (including mine), Mary is usually not mentioned at all until near Christmas.
The Bible says future generations will called her “blessed”, but the only place I hear that regularly is by Catholics. Therefore, I think Mary needs to be emphasized more in Protestant congregations.

However, in my opinion, Catholicism goes a bit overboard in the attention paid to her. For example, I was listening to EWTN the other night when they were playing the Rosary for a half hour. For every time they recited the Apostles’ Creed, The Lord’s Prayer (the Our Father) and the “Glory Be”, they recited about ten Hail Mary’s (I counted and it sure seemed to be around 10).

Why so many Hail Mary’s in relationship to the other creeds? Perhaps someone can explain that to me. Thanks.

I wouldn’t if I could. I thought Jesus established it. If one truly believes that the idea of changing anything should be repugnant.

Absolutely AGREE,

But my friend that is the people in the Church; not Tee Church:blush:

The reason this has become so evident, is that we are in a historical period of time that I have come to call"THE WORM TEST"

When it rains very hard for a prolonged period of time, worms abandon the comfort of their domiciles and make themselves KNOWN.

The climate for ALL those Liberal and Progressives that have hidden their TRUE selves has orchestrated a exodus from Orthodoxy, because they feel secure in their numbers ASSUMING they are now, at least VOCALLY, the majority.

There right, even when they ARE wrong:open_mouth:
God Bless you

God Bless you,
Patrick

Yep, you got that number right:thinking:

Were YOU aware of this?

Hail Mary, [Lk. 1:28]
Full of Grace [Lk. 1:28]
The Lord is with thee [Lk 1:27]
Blessed are you among all women [Lk 1:42]
And Blessed in the fruit of your womb: Jesus [Lk. 1;42]
Holy Mary [Lk.1: 28]
Mother of God 1:35
Pray for us sinners [our catholic petition]
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen” [I BELIEVE!]

Romans 12: 2 “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. “

Mary is the MOTHER of GOD, who had literally BILLIONS of other choices other than Mary. Mary, much like Her Son Jesus SUFFERED Greatly for in humility accepting this Role, and was Jesus every “step” of His 3 year Ministry, Including His Passion and death.

READ carefully John 19:16-29
Here are verses 25-27
" [25] Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen.

[26] When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. [27] After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.

Then READ Verse 28
"[28] Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst"

Allow me to rightly explain these passages 4 U

Keep in mind that while on the CROSS every breath literally caused excruciating PAIN
as to breat Jesus had to pull us his body to PERMIT air into His lungs. His feet were nailed on a downward slant, causing UTMOST PAIN, throughout His entire body; as was as if He were being recrucified time & time again! So for Him to speak DEMANDED a GREAT price in suffering. … NOT re-read verses 25-27 in THAT light.

What Jesus DID here was to literally give to ALL OF HUMANITY His Mother to OUR adopted Mother. So She is YOUR “Mother too”

Then read verse 29 again, taking NOTE of the “I THIRST” scream of Jesus

WHY would Jesus waste His breath on the obvious? OF COURSE He was thirsty: THAT WAS PART OF THE PAIN OD CRUCIFIXION. … So WHAT then does “I THIRST!” intend to tell us?

It’s MESSAGE was that despite ALL that Jesus had already done [EVERYTHING! humanly possible included being raped naked for us; HE STILL desired to do more!

WHAT GOD WANTS; GOD GET’S [unless we choose to deny it to Him].

That MORE: was intended to be

His Faith
His Church Mt 16:18 “MY CHURCH” singular
& His Mother to LEAD ALL of us to Her Son.

Pray very much about this,
God Bless and Guide you
Patrick

The idea that the first original ‘Popes’ in the Renaissance Vatican were heavy boozers and partiers.

The Renaissance was a period in European history, from the 14th to the 17th century, regarded as the cultural bridge between the Middle Ages and modern history.

The Vatican’s history as the seat of the Catholic Church began with the construction of a basilica over St. Peter’s grave in Rome in the 4th century A.D. The area developed into a popular pilgrimage site and commercial district, although it was abandoned following the move of the papal court to France in 1309. After the Church returned in 1377, famous landmarks such the Apostolic Palace, the Sistine Chapel and the new St. Peter’s Basilica were erected within the city limits. Vatican City was established in its current form as a sovereign nation with the singing of the Lateran Pacts in 1929.

I can’t find the source but I read that some of the earlier Renaissance popes threw lavish parties which had some practices which were kept from the public eye.

So it would be nice if these things were true that it was ‘forgiven’ and ‘washed’ away.

Do you not realize that the Rosary (aka the “Hail Mary”) is a meditation of the life of JESUS? Catholics don’t focus on Mary as much as Protestants think we do. If praying the Rosary is what you consider “going overboard” in attention to the Blessed Virgin, then you need to attend Mass for one year in your local Catholic Church and learn the truth.

Why are you and other Protestants so hung up on the number of “Hail Marys” as opposed to the number of “Our Father’s” anyway? Are you not concerned with the number of “Glory Be’s” said as well?

As Patrick has shown you, the Rosary is Biblical. I see it as a beautiful bouquet showing the love between Mother and Son, Son for Mother and for His Church as He gave us the gift of His Mother. She is not a deity but leads us to Christ and beckons us to “Do whatever He tells you.”

There is a saying.

Know Mary, Know Jesus
No Mary, No Jesus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.