If you could join an order, which one would you join

This is for lay people only :slight_smile:

I know that some people may argue that God would choose the order for you, rather than you choose yourself; so, I ask this question in reference to which order you feel best fits your abilities and interests, under the assumption that God would naturally draw you to an order that fits the abilities He gave you.

Perhaps you can explain why you choose one order over others.

Sorry I couldn’t put down all the major orders. I understand that there are Marians, Augustinians, Passionists, Trappists, Basilians, etc., but I can’t fit them all on the poll. But please mention any of these other orders if you know that’s what you would be best in. Also, please **embolden **the name of the order.

The Cistercians of the Strict Observance

The Dominicans. They’re the preachers and I think we need more of that.

http://www.smom.org/maltabannertop.gif

I am looking into this one right now.

How do you find out about orders and which one to join and stuff like that?

I go to school at a Legionnaires of Christ school, so I guess for now I would with them, but I know very little about any order.

Hey! Where’s The Fathers of mercy!!!

Originally Quoted by tkdnick:

How do you find out about orders and which one to join and stuff like that?

I go to school at a Legionnaires of Christ school, so I guess for now I would with them, but I know very little about any order.

Not all the links on this page may work, since the page is somewhat old, but the actual listings are good:

catholic-church.org/cid/religious.html

Here’s another helpful site:

shc.edu/theolibrary/orders.htm

Basically you just have to research into each one. If you’re interested, you send an email requesting more information.

I have considered joining an order, but to tell you the truth the celibacy thing is too hard for me, and I like girls too much anyhow. So, it’s probably best if i get married somehow. :frowning:

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]http://www.smom.org/maltabannertop.gif

[/quote]

Do you have the money? I understand there expensive.

Originally Quoted by Maranatha:

Do you have the money? I understand there expensive.

Also, some of those “military” orders require that you have noble blood. Some of the orders I understand are relaxing that prerequisite, but you might want to double check first. If so, you can always get a blood transfusion from someone with noble blood! :smiley: jk

Even though I was educated by the Jesuits, I would become a Franciscan.

Impressed by the life of St. Theresa, and the power of prayer, I would think the Carmelites would best suit me if I had been called in that direction.

St. Francis will be my conformation saint and I like how peacfull his life was an his order.

[quote=alterserver_07]St. Francis will be my conformation saint and I like how peacfull his life was an his order.
[/quote]

great saint, great order, but I don’t know if I would characterize his life as peaceful. perhaps his spiritual attitude to the ups and downs of life was peaceful, but the events of his life were anything but. He engaged in warfare like other young men of his class, was wounded, and experienced his conversion during his convalescence. He quarreled with his parents and broke with his father in a memorable, irreparable confrontation. He faced opposition in starting his order. He walked on foot to Rome to appeal to the pope for approval of his rule, and then was told it was too strict and ordered to modify it. Some of the brothers turned against him, and elected another superior who changed some of his key disciplines and practices. He was ill and nearly blind the last years of his life, in great pain from these afflictions and the pain of the wounds of Christ he bore invisibly until the stigmata became visible toward the end of his life. a stigmatist bears in his own body the effects of Christ’s suffering, a gift leading to spiritual perfection and union with Christ, but involving real suffering, with no peace this side of death.

[quote=tkdnick]How do you find out about orders and which one to join and stuff like that?

[/quote]

I am actually petitioning to enter a Diocesan Seminary, but it was an LC priest who really helped me discern my vocation. What a wonderful Church!

Legionaries are good, Opus Dei and others, we are united but we aren´t uniformed.

[quote=Madaglan]Also, some of those “military” orders require that you have noble blood. Some of the orders I understand are relaxing that prerequisite, but you might want to double check first. If so, you can always get a blood transfusion from someone with noble blood! :smiley: jk
[/quote]

The Order of Malta is a lay organization in which knighthood can be bestowed regardless of lineage and is 100% loyal to Rome, in fact the headquarters are in Rome.

I want to be a Nun myself.
I was thinking first of the Order of the Missionaries of Charity (the Order of Mother Teresa).
Then I thought about the Order of St. Benedict.
Now I think of the Carmelites.
I am only 14 so I have so much time to understand my call.
I want to be a Nun since I was 8 years old.

God Bless,
Victoria Elisabeth.

which one kicks *** and takes names and follows the 12th general order?:stuck_out_tongue:

Although it may not be an order as in the Religious orders, I choose other: The Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP)

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]http://www.smom.org/maltabannertop.gif

[/quote]

There was a Knight of Malta in my previous Parish and his father before him was also a Knight

Good thread and poll. Very interesting. I have recently wondered which order would most fit with my personality and interests. I still don’t know. I would love to see a brief explanation of the spirtual attributes and differences of the major order types.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.