If you could memorize

Just imagine, let’s pretend that you could memorize a selection of religious writings word for word, what would they be? You are limited to 4.

Mine would be

1. Bible

2. Catechism of the Catholic Church

3. Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas

4. Catena Aurea by Thomas Aquinas

OK, I’ll play, but it might be boring…

1. Bible

3. City of God by St. Augustine

4. Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas

Sorry! Anybody got any better suggestions? No! Impossible! But if you don’t tell Copland, I might read your suggestions :wink:

1. Bible (Douay-Rheims)
  3. Catechism of the Council of Trent
  4. Providentissimus Deus (Encylical by Pope Leo XIII)

I’m going to modify the question to “Which 4 books would you memorize other than the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church?” since just about everyone Catholic will say those first two. And this gives me an opportunity to have two extra in my list. :slight_smile:

1. On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius
  2. Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila
  3. Perfect Joy of St. Francis by Felix Timmermans
  4. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

// the bible
// catechism of the catholic church

// that’s about it i guess…

1. The Bible

2. The Satanic Bible

3. The Apocrypha

4. The Bhagavad Gita

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

:eek: :ehh:

Oh, don’t be such a baby. It’s just a book.

// baby??? pfft…lol … shocked is…

// first time i read/heard someone wanting to read the satanic bible…

1. The Apocrypha

What do you mean by this? There is no book called “The Apocrypha.” The term “Apocrypha” is typically just used to connote non-canonical writings.

Or is there some book of recent vintage with that name that I’m unaware of?

I can’t memorize so I shouldn’t dream to memorize.
I am still trying to get the Creed. I don’t think that
I have that portion of my brain working.

Oh, I’m sorry. I was referring to the banned books of the Bible. You can look them up on Google or something. They’re really cool stories.

I read the intro in a bookstore, and it seems very interesting. After some research, I thought I’d buy it, but I’m waiting til after Christmas. :smiley: I look forward to reading it very soon.

Ironically Yours. :heart:

Good question…

[LIST]
*]1. Paradise Lost
*]**2. Can I have the complete Tolkien ? It’s *sort ***of religious… :o
*]**3. Dante’s Commedia **
*]4. That’s it.[/LIST]

Bible
Code of Canon Law
Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church
Confessions of St. Augustine

Dante would be a good one for sure as far as fiction goes.

That’s easier :slight_smile: -

[LIST]
*]1. The Silmarillion
*]2. The Lord of the Rings
*]3. Unfinished Tales
*]4. The Iliad[/LIST]

Oh, I’m sorry. I was referring to the banned books of the Bible. You can look them up on Google or something. They’re really cool stories.

I have been studying the Bible and early church history for over 20 years, and I’m well aware of the various apocryphal works such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Revelation of Peter, etc. and read just about all of them. Is that all you are referring to? Because most of them are really not anything special. Derivative at best, and most were written centuries after the time of Christ.

And frankly, there is no such thing as “banned books of the Bible.” The Church’s decision on what writings would be included in the canon is what defined the “Bible”. Thus, a book that was not included was never part of the Bible and cannot be called a “banned book of the Bible.” Don’t tell me you actually believed that The Da Vinci Code was a work of history, did you? :slight_smile:

1. The Bible
  2. The Catechism of the Catholic Church
  3. Code of Canon Law
  4. Summa Theologica

if a fifth one was allowed:
5. Vatican II Documents

1. English Bible-CE
  2. Greek NT & LXX
  3. Hebrew OT
    whew, these 3 would be hard enough.
    ok maybe one more,
  4. CCC
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.