If you could "omit" one task of parenting

which task/chore/headache would you trade in a heartbeat – this has to be a parenting task, not “laundry” or “dishes” – I’m talking “diapers” “vomit” “medicine admin” “toy cleanup” “homework supervision” – that sort of stuff…my absolute LEAST favorite part of the day is bedtime…the act of getting them to actually get into their beds and go to sleep – we have a routine, have for years. They know it’s coming, it’s the same every night; story, prayers, bed. No changes, no wrenches thrown in, we hardly ever travel…lol. But for some reason, it just happens that is my least favorite “mommy task” of the day. – don’t get me wrong, I love my children dearly, but I think by that time of night, I’m just kind of waiting for the “ahhh…” of knowing the kids are in bed, and I have a few minutes before I fall asleep to tend to me and DH…just for a few minutes. It’s like my kids can sense this and jump all over it…lol. And for a long long time they’d FREAK if we even suggested DH take them up for bed; if I’m out (on the rare occasion) and it’s just him home, they’re FINE with it…but if I’m within sight of the house, it has to be Mommy…and I know why…lol, it’s b/c he’s much more disciplined than I on it all…he can say “ok it’s time to go to sleep now” and my son will kiss him goodnight, and roll over. ME? Nope; needs another hug, some more snuggling, another story, some water, some tissues, you name it…

I’ll admit it. I love my children so much it hurts sometimes, but I really really don’t like putting them to bed!!! LOL

Finally we just said “ok, Daddy’s doing bedtimes now…period.” – it helped that I was sick for a week and in bed by the time they were coming up…

getting them to eat healthy food… my 3 year old will eat a giant chocolate cupcake in 3 bites but will cry, cough, gag if I sneak 1 green bean into his mouth. Sooooooo not fun.

Potty training.

Keeping my temper when it’s more about me being mad than about them being bad… not spanking them when I know for a fact that Dad would have spanked me.

In a nutshell, being consistent and predictable, even though my moods aren’t.

I don’t wish I could give it up, exactly, so much as I wish I didn’t have to deal with it. I wish it came easier. The funny thing is, I wouldn’t have thought of myself as an impatient person before I had kids. HA! They are like a personality-trait CIA. If it is in you, good or bad, they’ll bring it out of you.

[quote=leaner] And for a long long time they’d FREAK if we even suggested DH take them up for bed; if I’m out (on the rare occasion) and it’s just him home, they’re FINE with it…but if I’m within sight of the house, it has to be Mommy…and I know why…lol, it’s b/c he’s much more disciplined than I on it all…he can say “ok it’s time to go to sleep now” and my son will kiss him goodnight, and roll over. ME? Nope; needs another hug, some more snuggling, another story, some water, some tissues, you name it…
[/quote]

Let me guess… your DH is a bit more of a disciplinarian and has an easier time telling the kids “no” and sticking to it. :smiley:

It’s similar in my house, really. The kids go to bed easier for me. They don’t ask me for a bite of something I’m eating, either, which my wife is constantly innundated with.

Parenting task I could live without? Even though my kids are all out of them, deffinitely diapers.

after spending a week with each of my daughters and their kids, my guess would be driving them to their various activities. Like DD says, If I am a stay-at-home-mom, why do I spend my whole life in the van?

[quote=puzzleannie]after spending a week with each of my daughters and their kids, my guess would be driving them to their various activities. Like DD says, If I am a stay-at-home-mom, why do I spend my whole life in the van?
[/quote]

I agree. I really disliked waiting for sports or musical practice to let out.
But…I must say…
Nothing can beat the pain of the ‘courting/dating’ years…however long those last…

Dealing with adolescent mood changes and backtalk…

Oh, for the days of diapers and teething!

potty training was easy…it’s hard to say, cuz even though a lot of duties are hard, they still have some fun in them…oh, I have a good one: going to meetings at their school…does that count?

vomit–ugh, esp when it travels from one child to the next in phases. It can take 2 weeks for a tummy virus to travel through all 5 kids, plus mom and dad!!! (this just happened by the way, can you tell? In the bucket!!! in the bucket!!) then, the resultung diarea (sp?) :eek:

ah…the joys of parenting :smiley:

getting everyone ready for school:p

Bedtime.

Discipline!!!

the least fun but most critical…discipline… especially when you have more than one yung’un and they all react to disciplines differently

Feeding young babies “solid” food! It seems like for every spoonful that goes in two come out, three end up in their hair and another 5 or 6 on their and your clothing!

I HATED feeding my babies.

Wish they could go straight from the breast to Cheerios.

cheddar

I would omit having to wake up at night to nurse/feed baby.

I feel that if I could get a good night’s sleep everynight, my life would be alot easier and I could deal with absolutely ANYTHING.

I need sleep soooooo bad!

The bedtime routine is a toughy…My four year old gets up, on avg. three times…I go up the stairs and quickly stick her back in the bed…just like Nanny 911 says…if I can get her to quit talking…I win!

Which comes to another problem…the child does talk a bunch…I know one day I’ll miss it…but my goodness, my head spins sometimes…but I always listen and say uh huh.

TEETHING

**Car trips. Everything else is really not that big a deal - just too used to it I guess. **

But oh how I hate dealing with the “he’s looking out MY window!” “she’s not touching me!” (hand held just a little bit away, but still in the way enuogh to annoy) “the baby is chewing on my gamboy game!” “I need to potty” “His diaper smells pooey!”

**Now, normally they are very good children and the car trips don’t go too bad really. But it seems like when they do - they are trying to make up for the times when they were good, kwim?:stuck_out_tongue: And it always happens when mom/dad are least in the mood to deal with it.:o **

Right now, I would have to say potty training, because that’s what we are starting to work on now. I just wish he would magically be potty trained and I didn’t have to worry about it.

Oh well. I am sure there is some reward in Heaven for successfully potty training your toddler.

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.