If you don't believe in the "real presence" is that a mortal Sin?

If you don’t believe in the real presence is that a mortal sin- if you are a baptised as a catholic?

If you’re making your best effort to overcome your lack of belief, then no, it is not. If you are obstinate in your disbelief, then it is the mortal sin against faith called heresy.

I guess that it will depend on whether the person received holy communion or not, and possibly on why someone did not believe. Maybe someone might not believe because they genuinely do not know or understand the Church’s teachings, or if they know the Church’s teachings and deliberately decided not to believe. Being baptised as a Catholic doesn’t necessarily mean that you know or understand your faith.

I think that it would help to be a little more specific.

When the priest says “The Body of Christ” or the “Blood of Christ” and you say AMEN you are agreeing that you believe it is real presence. I would not commune and say Amen to that statement myself if I did not believe it to be true.

Not to mention this warning in Scripture:

1 Cor. 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Why do you not believe?

What about at EF Mass when you generally don’t say anything in response. He just goes person to person down the line saying "Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam "which i believe is translated as “May the Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ keep your soul unto life everlasting” and places the Eucharist on our tongue.

The priest says Amen.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.