If you fall into mortal sin, then is it no harm, no foul to skip Mass?

Long story short… I committed a mortal sin. I can feel the dread and the sense of distance from God.

But if mortal sin makes me unworthy of receiving the Eucharist, then there’s not much point in attending Mass right?

Why not just live it up and have fun committing sins until your next confession?

Sorry if this sounds weird, but I know I’m not the only one who’s thought this way, otherwise we wouldn’t have today’s Mardi Gras and Carnaval :smiley:

Adds mortal sin to mortal sin…(and thus the effects and punishments are added…)

If one should fall -repent - seek the grace of perfect contrition and resolve to go to confession as soon as one can.

Then seek out confession.

If a Holy Day or Sunday is then - go to Mass - of course do not receive -but go to Mass.

And one can even ask the Priest to hear your confession (maybe before - or at least afterwards).

But if mortal sin makes me unworthy of receiving the Eucharist, then there’s not much point in attending Mass right?

There’s still a point in going even if you don’t receive. Not only will your experience of the Liturgy of the Word be unaffected, during the Liturgy of the Eucharist you will still be in the presence of Christ.

Why not just live it up and have fun committing sins until your next confession?

catholic.com/quickquestions/what-is-the-sin-of-presumption

The reason Sunday Mass is an *obligation *is that we worship God corporately in justice. In justice means that “it is right and just” to worship God with others for this short time once a week.

So, no, mortal sin does *not *lift the obligation to attend Mass–one must go even if one has committed mortal sin and not yet confessed.

All you will be doing is adding on mortal sins. Plus, that is presumption and if the Priest catches on to this, he can deny you absolution for not seeking true repentance.

I’m so glad you asked this. I am guilty of not going to mass until I can get to confession thinking the same thing. What would be the point if I couldn’t receive the body and blood of Christ. Now I know.

That would further one’s separation from God, and may even perpetuate that separation. For this reason obligation to attend Mass is a precept of the Church.

In worldly terms, this is like saying, “I cheated on my taxes, so it’s ok to commit arson right?” Two different crimes.

You compound your first sin by not going to Mass. Go to Mass, and either stay in the pew when it’s time to go up for the Eucharist or go up to the priest with your arms crossed across your body so he knows to give you a blessing and not the Body/Blood of Christ.

Then go to Confession so you can be right with our Lord again and receive the Eucharist.

Edit to add: I was just re-reading your post and the first thing that popped into my head is “that’s exactly what the devil wants you think.” The devil certainly wants someone who falls once to just throw up their hands and give up and “live it up” in sin. Don’t.

This is basically how your question reads for me:

“I did something bad, so can I do another bad thing?”

We’re all sinners, yet we still go to Mass. The only difference is that when you are in a state of mortal sin, you cannot receive Holy Communion.

Attending Mass on Sundays is a precept of the Catholic Church, regardless of your soul’s state. :thumbsup:

So, you love someone and committed a grave offense against that person and seriously damaged that relationship…and until you admit your wrong and ask forgiveness you’re going to have a WTF attitude and still continue to commit acts that will further separate you from someone you love. :eek:

Yeah, that’s the way to live out your life!

I think you know what you need to do in your heart, otherwise you wouldn’t have posted this on this website.

You don’t want to compound your mortal sins. Yes, without sacramental confession you remain in the state of mortal sin and cannot receive Holy Communion. However, you are still obligated to assist at Mass. Many Catholics tend to be of the mindset that they must receive Holy Communion at each and every Mass (we can and should do so if we are in the state of grace), but in the past many received infrequently. This is why one of the precepts of the Church is to receive the Eucharist at least once a year during Eastertide. And another is to attend Mass on every Sunday and Holy Day. So you see, while the reception of Holy Communion is the supreme Source of grace for the Christian, one is still obligated to assist at the Holy Sacrifice even if not disposed to receive. Don’t let the devil play mind games with you. He wants you to fall into the mortal sin of presumption. Christ offers His mercy abundantly in the confessional, but you must come to Him with contrition.

Graces Derived from Assisting at Mass

The Mass is Calvary continued.

Every Mass is worth as much as the sacrifice of Our Lord’s life, sufferings and death.

Holy Mass is the most powerful atonement for your sins.

At the hour of death the Masses you have heard will be your greatest consolement.

Every Mass will go with you to judgement and plead for pardon.

At Mass you can diminish more or less temporal punishment due to your sins, according
to your fervor.

Assisting devoutly at Holy Mass you render to the humanity of Our Lord the greatest homage.

He supplies for many of your negligences and omissions.

He forgives the venial sins which you have not confessed. The power of Satan over you
is diminished.
You afford the souls in Purgatory the greatest possible relief.

One Mass heard during life will be of more benefit to you than many heard for you after your death.

You are preserved from dangers and misfortunes which otherwise might have befallen you. You shorten your Purgatory.

Every Mass wins you a higher degree of glory in Heaven.

You receive the Priest’s blessing which Our Lord ratifies in Heaven.

You kneel amidst a multitude of Holy Angels, who are present at the adorable Sacrifice with reverential awe.

You are blessed in your temporal goods and affairs.

In eternity, we shall fully realize that it was certainly worthwhile to have assisted at Holy Mass daily.

brizek.com/prayer/pieta.htm#gmass

While the focus of mass, and the main point of it, is taking the Eucharist, it is a valuable service even if one cannot take the Eucharist. A lot of the responses have focused on the sin of not going to mass. While it is a sin to intentionally skip Sunday mass, it also deprives you of some important things.

I am being confirmed in a couple of weeks, and I have been attending Mass without the benefits from taking the Eucharist for several months. I have found that there has been great value in attending. Being in the presence of the Eucharist is renewing, and it reminds one what life is about. The homily is valuable in renewing our knowledge of God and His teachings. Listening to the readings, especially when the priest reads the gospels, is empowering; the devil hates when we celebrate the Holy word of God. Then there is also the concept of being with your religious community, your fellow parishioners. Know that they are all sinners, and that they share in the struggle against sin and the devil.

When we are in sin, we are tempted to skip church because of the guilt we know that we will feel. I found the same thing in protestant churches. That guilt is important because it convicts our hearts and leads to making us into better people. The devil knows how it can affect healing, and he will try everything to keep you from that joy.

We all sin. Keep going to mass, confess your sin as soon as possible, and pray for the healing power of God to wash over your soul. You will likely find that it leads you to be less tempted by sin. When we sin is when we need more Christian community, not less. The sick need a doctor more than the healthy. That said, even when you don’t have mortal sin you can see mass as preventative care.

Techno2000- thanks for that, that was very helpful. I appreciate that you linked it, I’m going to read more there! :slight_smile:

Here is the full version :

dailycatholic.org/77graces.htm

traditio.com/tradlib/graces.txt

michaeljournal.org/holymass.htm

Even if you went to confession and had contrition, you would still have temporal punishment. Every sin you commit thinking that you would commit another mortal sin, the sin of presumption.

Hi TofuFish,

This, unfortunately, is a common lie the devil would love for sinners to believe (and many do!).

Firstly - You don’t go to mass for the Eucharist, you go to worship God. Even if you committed a mortal sin, you are still obligated to go to mass and worship God.

Secondly - The best way to beat a sin you are struggling with is to go to mass MORE frequently, NOT less. And certainly not skipping out on an obligation!

Thirdly - Going to mass and refraining from receiving has a powerful psychological effect. It’s a physical reminder of the lost friendship with God and can help motivate someone to beat the sin they are struggling with. Also - anyone can pray for spiritual communion while remaining in the pews.

Finally - Being in a state of mortal sin is not a blank check to do whatever you want. When a husband finds himself “in the doghouse” with his wife. That means the wife wants him to change his behavior. Not to add more behaviors that will further damage the relationship. Same goes with God when we are not in a state of grace.

I hope that helps! God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.