If you forget to go to mass, then do you have to make it up with an extra mass?

No, you cannot “make up” a missed Mass (I’m assuming you mean a Sunday Mass or a Holy Day of Obligation since we are not required to go to daily Mass). If it’s something you simply forgot, obviously the culpability is diminished, but it’s definitely something I would confess anyway. It would probably fall under venial sin, though you would have to ask yourself how you forgot it was Sunday.

To deliberately miss Mass is grave matter and would fall under mortal sin and needs to be confessed. Some people think that if you miss Mass on Sunday that you can “make it up” on Monday. This is simply not true.

How can you forget mass?

LOL! That’s what I was wondering! :smiley:

I have. It was the day of Assumption, which was a day of obligation. I was so busy at work that the day came and went and I did not go to mass.

I told the priest during my confession.

I would say if your parish has a later time, say on Sunday evening, try to go to that.

I can imagine if the schedule is changed you might forget that it has altered, and consequently might miss Mass.

[quote="fakename, post:1, topic:327752"]

[/quote]

No.

No, but you should pray about being so preoccupied as to forget to go to Mass. Take it to confession. Attending Mass is an obligation unless there are serious impediments such as being ill or caring for someone who is ill, or having to travel so that you cannot get to a church at all.

[quote="Lasting_faith, post:3, topic:327752"]
How can you forget mass?

[/quote]

[quote="Skye_Ariel, post:4, topic:327752"]
LOL! That's what I was wondering! :D

[/quote]

Oh, I hate it when that happens. :hypno:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.