If you haven't bought your turkey yet--YOU BETTER HURRY UP!

*:D My dh just called me, he's doing the thanksgiving grocery shopping today, as he has the day off. We wait to the last minute to buy our turkeys every year, and he said he had been to four stories and they were all sold out! Thankfully, he found one at his fifth stop! :eek:

So...you better hurry up if you haven't bought your turkeys, yet. :rotfl:

I have never heard of stores selling out like that, wow! :o*

I was really surprised when I went to Kroger last weekend to get mine - they didn’t have half the number of turkeys out as usual. I’m sure they keep many in the back, but I’m used to seeing HUGE cases of turkeys and they didn’t have that this year.

Interesting.

Glad we got our fat little bugger - he’s thawing nicely in the fridge. :egyptian:

~Liza

..."fat little bugger...." :rotfl: I laughed so hard reading that, lizaanne!!

That's funny, because up here we keep getting free turkeys... can't get away from them...

[quote="HouseArrest, post:4, topic:177517"]
That's funny, because up here we keep getting free turkeys... can't get away from them...

[/quote]

*:rotfl: You're all making me laugh today. I can imagine this...frozen turkeys being thrown at you, and you're trying to 'get away' from them. hahahaha

I think I need a nap. :blush:*

I was reading a story in the local paper about one of the towns in the county that is overrun with wild turkeys. The accompanying picture showed what looked to be a dozen turkey perched atop a house. Is that what you’ve got going on where you are?

Wow, that’s crazy. I’ve never heard of that happening. Usually they buy enough frozen ones to cover Christmas as well.

*I have never heard of this either. I was amazed at what he was telling me. Poor guy…he thought this would be easy. I offered to buy our thanksgiving stuff over the weekend but he wanted to do it… :whistle: *

[quote="dulcissima, post:6, topic:177517"]
I was reading a story in the local paper about one of the towns in the county that is overrun with wild turkeys. The accompanying picture showed what looked to be a dozen turkey perched atop a house. Is that what you've got going on where you are?

[/quote]

:rotfl:

How are you going to thaw that bird if you buy it today???

I can see you sitting down to turkey cicle :slight_smile:

My dh said they only had fresh ones left, frozen all gone…so that is perfect. Although, fitting this thing into our frig will be the challenge of the day. :blush: Basically, the smart people all did their shopping earlier than us! :rotfl:

You are reminding me of Christmas with the Cranks. Fighting over the last ham...winding up with baked trout instead. :p

Yes! and that was very funny.

Dh wanted what is called a ‘heritage’ turkey this year. Only a few number of stores carry them. So he had been saving up for this particular turkey for 6 months or so (they are expensive, so he was budgeting for it–he HAD to have one).

He did his research on the Internet and came up with a short list of stores that carried them in our area. He called the stores for prices and the cheapest was $4.99 per pound. :eek:

Then he discovers a major grocery store chain that carried them and he is thrilled. He calls them and asks them if they have any in stock and this particular branch of the store says, sure–a huge stack of them and they are $1.29 per pound. He repeats to the meat guy–are you sure, it’s $1.29 and you do, indeed, have a lot. The meat guy says yes.

So, we drive over there. That particular store isn’t in town, but the drive is worth it to get a heritage turkey at an affordable price. However, I usually do the shopping and I am a little suspicious of the ‘great deal.’

When we get there–I know you saw this coming–there is no heritage turkeys at any price and no one has ever heard of them, so on and so on. He gets ahold of the meat manager and they sit down and go over this book that has all the turkeys ever in it and the meat manager says, no we don’t carry heritage turkeys. DH tells him that the Internet says you do and lists the purveyors that they buy from.

The meat manager is disturbed that one of his employees would give out false information like that and says he will get to the bottom of this problem.

He calls us back maybe three days later and says no one will admit to talking to DH, who replies that, of course, they won’t admit it; but he still wants some kind of turkey for all the inconvenience. The manager says he’ll see what he can do–maybe give him a really good deal on a Distel turkey or something.

It takes a couple more days, and the end result is that the store GIVES us a turkey. It is a free-range organic turkey. It is our miracle turkey, I think.

I was reading a story in the local paper about one of the towns in the county that is overrun with wild turkeys. The accompanying picture showed what looked to be a dozen turkey perched atop a house. Is that what you’ve got going on where you are?

We have a ton of wild turkeys around here, more than usual. I’m a suburban-y populated area and we usually don’t see them around here but this year I’ve seen a lot of them. Maybe they had a baby boom or something.

Two years ago I had a Turkey, a farmed one, show up in my yard about 10 days before Thanksgiving. We named her Louise and she stayed in the yard for 10 days. We went to feed her on Thanksgiving and she was gone. I have my suspicions about my neighbors:onpatrol:

[ATTACH]6984[/ATTACH]

[quote="shannyk, post:14, topic:177517"]

We have a ton of wild turkeys around here, more than usual. I'm a suburban-y populated area and we usually don't see them around here but this year I've seen a lot of them. Maybe they had a baby boom or something.

Two years ago I had a Turkey, a farmed one, show up in my yard about 10 days before Thanksgiving. We named her Louise and she stayed in the yard for 10 days. We went to feed her on Thanksgiving and she was gone. I have my suspicions about my neighbors:onpatrol:

[ATTACH]6984[/ATTACH]

[/quote]

So funny!!!

We live within the city limits, but with some woods very close by. About a month ago, I was driving home, and, a block from our house, saw a large wild turkey casually strolling down the side of the road. I was so startled I almost stopped the car in the middle of the street, and saw other people slowing down, too. Wild turkeys are an exceedingly rare sight near us.

I saw him once more, as did my daughter on her way to our house, and then he disappeared, either into the woods, or into someone's oven!

How did Louise get up on the car? Can turkeys fly?

LOL that is exactly what I said when I saw her up there. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it was more of a wing flapping plus jumping move that got her up there. I’m pretty sure they can’t truly fly but use their wings to propel themselves, but I don’t know, maybe farm raised turkey have superpowers.

I was suppose to be a vegan... but I saw a really cheap turkey in a store and I just thought; "That'll go down nicely!" :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.