"If you love me, keep my commands...."

G’day dear friends :slight_smile:

In John 14, it is written that Jesus said “If you love me, keep my commandments…”

What are Jesus’ commandments?

Love God with all your heart, mind and soul. Love your neighbour as yourself.

What an interesting question.

Jesus said to Love God and to Love your neighbor were the two great commandments.
He also said
Be Baptized
Forgive
Matt: 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (Golden Rule)
Get rid of whatever causes you to sin
These are just a few.
Read the Gospels and you will see all that He commanded.

Thankyou dear friends :slight_smile:

I really was looking at collecting the commandments all in one place so we can have a reference list by which we can manifest our love for Christ together :slight_smile:

Before Jesus, this is exactly what Hillel the Elder said is the essence of the Law, “and all the rest is commentary.”

This is the essence of Jesus’s teachings:

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Matthew 19:21 If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.
Matthew 25:40 Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

It depends on who one says Jesus is. Eventually it will be and turned with mental gymnastics , no matter what answer we give. :rolleyes:

MJ

Pessimistic much Martin? Lol

Love to you brother :slight_smile:

I’m only optimistic when Jesus is accepted as the Son of the Living God. :thumbsup:

MJ

I do believe that. I’m even enrolling into RCIA for the Easter intake.

Being optimistic is good for you :slight_smile:

So maybe back on topic please…

Hi Servant. Jesus gave many commands that involved the giving up of our selves to other for the sake of other (or love). Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, giving your cloak or tunic, etc. (corporeal works of mercy); and additionally, visiting in prison, visiting the sick, etc. (spiritual works of mercy).

But we cannot give these things by our own invention; we are the stewards of fruits of the spirit, virtues, own time, talents, and possessions because God, the Creator of all of these, first entrusted them to our care. By freely saying “yes” to God when He commands us to give what He has given us to our neighbor in accordance with His will, we are firstly show love for God, and secondly, love for neighbor as self at the same time.

Luke 10-

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. ”

28“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

Another verse from 1 John 5-

1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

So the question I have is- If the first and greatest commandment was to love the Lord your God…

Who does God say that He is?

1.Commandment by Jesus for those to enter into the Kingdom of God

For those who are not disciples of Jesus “yet”, Jesus commands by his teaching what they must do in order to enter and see the Kingdom of God.

John 3:5…Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the Kingdom of God”…“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God”

2, Commandment practice by Jesus to His disciples must do to have eternal life with Jesus in the Kingdom of God.

All the gospels record Jesus commandment of his disciples and all those who were to follow Jesus from his disciples word and practices which Jesus commands his followers who believe in him, to “do this in remembrance of me”.

John 6:52…Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life…For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him…he who eats this bread will live forever.”

Mattew 26:26…“Take, eat; this is my body.” and he took a cup,…gave it to them, saying “Drink of it, all of you; for tghis is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins”.

3. Commandment by Jesus for his disciples to be perfected in the law and the prophets;

Love God with all of yourself, Love your neighbor as your self

4. Commandment by Jesus to be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect

Love your enemies

1. There is no greater gift, than for a man to give his life for his friends. This Jesus did for us on the cross, he gives His Life so that we may have life and more abundantly.

Peace be with you

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 **All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Everything that has been posted on this thread goes back to Jesus two commandments- the Greatest being Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind. If you are loving the true God, you are following His commands to love others by doing the things Jesus says.

But my question is- Christ said the Love of God is the greatest commandment, so Who does God say that He is? This being the most important commandment, going back to the Old Testament as well, I think it is important to understand Who God is.

This is wonderful, thank you dear beloved friends :slight_smile:

It’s so heartwarming to see the love in these commandments!

Keep them coming…

John 13:31-35

31 When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of man glorified, and in him God is glorified; 32 if God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once. 33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’ 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

36 Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered,** “Where I am going you cannot follow me now; but you shall follow afterward.” **37 Peter said to him, “Lord, why cannot I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” 38 Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the cock will not crow, till you have denied me three times.

To go where He is, we need to follow His Commands.

Repent
Believe (the Gospel)
Baptized
Forgive others
Love as He loved (enemies alike)
Receive His Sacrificial Supper (in good conscience)

Peace
Michael

Your question is a good question apart from the OP.

Know one knows the Father except the Son. Know one has seen the Father except the Son who comes from the Father and know one goes to the Father except through the Son.

Who is God? God is LOVE. Can you see Love? God is Spirit. Can you see a Spirit?

God’s essence never comes down to us, less we die.

God has revealed His presence to our humanity by sending His Word who is God in the beginning and that Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

The essence of God is veiled in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in each distinct person of the one Trinity, One God and no other, God’s essence is veiled in His Voice (Father), His Word (The Son) and His Spirit (Holy Spirit), Yet God’s presence is made known to creation, so that God dwells with the human race. His presence is sent and proceeds God from God, True God from True God, Light from Light. One God undivided and inseparable in divinity without division or confusion.

The Love we share in our humanity, we are created in His Image and likeness to which we are parted that divine life of Love, When God is Love. God’s Love is sent in, with, and through His Son Jesus, and His Love is made known to us in His Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and the Son to our humanity to make the will of the Father and the works of the Son known and God the HolySpirit is the Lord the giver of life, who gives life from the Father in, through, with, and from the Son to our humanity in the new and everlasting covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God revealed in the Son of man for the forgiveness of sins.

Who is God? Only the Son (Jesus) reveals the Father and the Father reveals the Son and the HolySpirit declares in Truth and makes the revelation of God known to our humanity and it is He the Spirit of Truth that declares this Truth.

For God does not accept testimony from man, because man cannot give testimony of who God is. Only God can reveal God.

This divine knowledge and revelation from the Word of God who is God incarnate (Jesus Christ) exposes all false prophets and man made false god’s.

If you are hungry and thirsty for Truth, go to Jesus who gives the living water that quenches all thirst and His divine bread and wine that removes all hunger (eternally). For man does not live on bread alone, but by every Word of God.

Peace be with you

Jesus tells this because he’s going to die rise from the dead and ascend to go to the Father. He knows his Apostles are dejected as such wants them to be rest assured he will still be with them through the Holy Spirit. So if they truly love him, he will send the Holy Spirit (the Paraclete) by following his commandments.

Gabrielof12 has given a great rundown of what are the commandments. The Paraclete (the Holy Spirit) shall remain with them and that’s why the Catholic church remains on earth. Eventually by sticking with the Church, Heaven will be achievable.

MJ

Several of Jesus’ commands that you cite were already in place in the Hebrew Bible and Oral Law, including repentance, belief (in the Torah rather than the Gospel), forgiveness of others, and loving thy neighbor, even thine enemy (“Rejoice not when thine enemy falls,” for example). As I had stated, Rabbi Hillel the Elder distilled the essence of the Law into the two commandments to love G-d and love thy neighbor prior to Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.