If you met Jesus of Nazareth in person what would you ask him?

First of all I would have to recover from shock. If I could regain my composure and think rationally I would ask:
Is it really you?
Am I passing or failing?
Sorry about my lack of faith over the years.
Would you like a cup of tea?
So how’s your Father? Mary?
Is my sense of humour in bad taste?

Though I believe in the reality of Christ’s body in the Eucharist, I am also expecting Him to return in human bodily form in glory at the end of Earthly time. You can refer to Luke 21:25-28 where Christ Himself talks about returning.

25 There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” (NIV)

We also declare it in our Creeds. I think it is pretty natural to think of this human bodily form when imagining meeting Jesus “in person”, although I can understand different people would think of it in different ways.

What is my vocation? If none, what are thr things You want me to do? Also, thanksgiving for all graces received, past present and future.

I would ask, “What does my wife see in me?”

I guess I would have a lot of questions but if I met with Jesus, it would probably be because He had something to say to me.

I’d be listening very hard. I figure He would know my questions better than I would. :slight_smile:

I’d hope He would mention something about how best to create Christian community in a secular dominated political, business and media landscape.

If Ross got out of Rachel’s friend zone, you can do it too.

Those are really good questions. If you decide to enroll in RCIA, you will learn the answers to these. Good luck and God bless!

I will get answers. Whether they convince is a different story, I’m afraid

Be not afraid! It’s in the Bible 365 times!

The Bible says all kinds of things, but at the end of the day I still have one lingering, annoying and cumbersome doubt: why is everything so complicated? Why couldn’t He just have created me like Him? If he loves us all so much, why did He deprive us of perfection?

Look at me, I’m starting to sound like an atheist again

He did create you to be like him. We are made in his image and likeness. But he created us to choose to love him freely. Adam and Eve chose to turn their back on God. They failed to TRUST in him. Our sins affect everyone. There is no such thing as personal sin.

Yes, the Bible is complicated. I love Bible study and going “Ohhhh, now I get it!” That’s what Heaven is going to be like.

The only thing you really need to know is God is love, trust in Him. The Church is there to help you on that journey. Your RCIA team will be very helpful. I am involved with RCIA in my parish. I love RCIA. I love learning more about my faith!

Don’t worry about sounding like an atheist. There isn’t a question God can’t answer, whether now or in the next life. Asking questions is a way of opening yourself up to God.

God bless!

He of all “people” should have known from the beginning of time what the consequences of that would be. And that doesn’t explain why there is so much evil in the world that is not our fault. He put us here in this valley of tears and at the end of our lives we might even go to hell. Why hell? Couldn’t the good go to Him and the bad just simply die and be no more? If He holds no grudges, why is there ETERNAL hell? And He’s all-powerful, he could destroy Hell like a boot crushes an ant without a second thought

And yet there is no way I can ever love like He does, be kind like He is or virtually even start to do anything like He does.

I’m sorry but that doesn’t get to the heart of the issue. If He loves me, why on earth would He create a tree that is literally at arm’s length with tasty fruit and then ban Adam and Eve from eating from it, AND then make humanity pay for it forever? Why did He even give Adam and Eve the possibility of denying Him?

People put themselves in Hell. God is in a way saying, “That’s what you want, here you can have it.” I heard a good analogy of the difference between Heaven and Hell. They are both banquets where everybody has a three-foot fork. In Hell they starve because they can’t serve themselves. In Heaven they are eating because they are feeding each other.

You will at the end of your life’s journey. At this point, all he asks is we be faithful.

Why does he put that cupcake right there when he knows I’m trying to lose weight? :grinning: Don’t take the tree so literally. Here’s the thing, they hid from God and started playing the blame game instead of confessing. Adam should have protected Eve from the snake. He just about blames God for even giving Eve to him because she got him to sin. There are so many levels of what went wrong here.
That’s what makes Bible study so fascinating.

And no, humanity does not pay for it forever. Jesus took that on himself. He paid the price for our eternal salvation.

Would you rather God didn’t even create you and give you a chance? That’s the only alternative.

God bless!

It turns out you don’t have to do a whole lot to do so. How is an atheist who has spent a literal lifetime as a good son, good family man, a faithful husband and an extremely generous and merciful heart “putting yourself in hell”. Do you honestly believe he belongs there? The statement that “we put ourselves there” does not help me, the simple fact remains that hell exists because HE allows it, or He’s not all-powerful. How can I reconcile a non-grudging God with eternal fire? To be quite frank, it seems painfully outrageous.

He’s asking me to withhold from sex until marriage, if a marry a B I cannot wait to divorce I cannot ever have another wife, even if she became a B over time and was not that way when I got married. My mother is going through this right now, is God really telling me she can’t find another man who truly loves her? Really, God? I’m not even talking lust, I’m talking Love between 2 human beings. And all for what? I even have doubts He exists sometimes. And yes I feel really sorry Jesus died such a painful death on the cross, but why didn’t He just create us without sin in the first place? Why did He decide this was a better way? If a teacher includes questions on an exam that have nothing to do with what was seen in class, I don’t care if he says he’s suffering with us and lashing his back in penance, save it, just put questions about stuff we’ve learned, dude.

That’s not the point. Why did God even create a capacity for sin?! Why on Earth, if He truly loves us like He says He does, would he even think about risking us getting away from Him by creating capacity for sin that comes from free will? Why did He give me sexual libido and then tell me I’ll burn forever if I use it outside marriage?

There I said it, now God’s gonna punish me big time

Jesus, how can you love me after all the sinful things I have done???

God is the judge not you. Only he knows your heart, if you are truly trying to do his will.

Me too (divorced). This is something one can live with.

If you had children, would you want them to love you freely or would you want them to be robots?

Give it to God. He is the great healer. I know. I’ve been through some truly awful things, and God has held me up through it all.

God bless!

Unlikely the wife of Peter was still alive or she would have been serving imstead of mother-in-law.

Funny to think most if not all of the Apostles would have been married - it was very much not the done thing for a Jewish man of the time to be unmarried, except for small groups such as the Essenes.

I’ve heard this argument many times and it makes no sense to me. The simple, cold, hard fact is: God hates sin, and YET he gave us the capacity for sin. He hates evil, yet He stands by and watches as evil occurs every second of existence in this rotten world. He could have created any world He liked, He could have made us sinless and happy and full of love for him , who cares if we didn’t choose it, we’d bo so full of love nobody would care, we would reject anything else. But He didn’t, instead He created what He claims to hate and then made us pay for a sin our ancestors committed.

You can live with one leg, that doesn’t make it good if God suddenly demands we cut off a leg for Him. I don’t want my mother to die alone because she had the bad fortune to marry a SOB

And yet He has failed to explain himself fully to any of us why this is so. Even saints have had doubts about why He does things. Why on Earth can’t He just bring us to him?

Do you know why I care about this? Because I need Him right now, and yet I feel like I’m getting further away from Him by the day. I don’t understand why He has to take such great pains to hide Himself from me, and threaten hell FOREVER to someone He supposedly loves.

Maybe Calvinists are right, and I’m just predestined to eternal damnation. But if that’s true, that would make God a maniac so great Hitler looks like Cinderella by comparison.

You are trying to make God into who you think he should be. Maybe if you quit making arguments about why there can’t be a loving God and go visit him in a Holy Hour at a nearby parish you’d find him. He’s right there. He’s calling you.

God bless!

I’ve been there. I’ve been to mass. There are literally tons of people who have done so to no avail.

I am trying to understand God

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.