If you went to Mass today

Monday, the 5th week of Lent. Did you hear the longer version of the first reading, which tells the WHOLE story of Susannah and Daniel, or did you just hear the shorter version, which is still a long reading for a daily Mass. This is just curiosity on my part. I was the lector this morning, and the celebrant was one who usually opts for the longer option of any reading, but today even he said to read the shorter one.

the longer version was read today where I attended Mass. It really is a great story!
it was worn the extra time and we had a wonderful lector who did the reading justice.

Great story though!

Now I know what Jesus was writing in the sand yesterday: Susanna and Daniel!:thumbsup:

The longer version. The parish that I go to for daily mass never does the shorter version for anything. :D I don't think I've ever heard Eucharistic Prayer II at this parish. We also celebrated the feast of St. Patrick today. Since he is the patron of this diocese, the solemnity was transferred from Sunday.

[quote="RSD, post:1, topic:319186"]
Monday, the 5th week of Lent. Did you hear the longer version of the first reading, which tells the WHOLE story of Susannah and Daniel, or did you just hear the shorter version, which is still a long reading for a daily Mass. This is just curiosity on my part. I was the lector this morning, and the celebrant was one who usually opts for the longer option of any reading, but today even he said to read the shorter one.

[/quote]

shorter version at Mass, longer version at home before Mass. Really a great story.

On the daily Mass that I watched (St. Basil’s Church in Toronto) they had the long version.

We heard the shorter reading. This was a lunchtime mass and many people have to get back to work.

Today we had the friar who is a liturgical minimalist. Instead of doing either of those readings, we did the optional Mass for the 5th week in Lent. It's a reading from, I think, 2nd Kings.

I didn’t go to Mass, but I try to read the readings every day during Lent. I read the longer version (didn’t realize there was a shorter version under it), and it is a great story. I’d never heard it before.

The shorter version was read at the parish I went to.

Today was my first Mass during the week. I am going to say it was not the long version. I enjoyed the reading but would have loved more.

Longer version yesterday. Great Story.

As sacristan, I attend two Masses every Monday. At the first of the two this past Monday, the lector started the long version but when he got to where it says "beginning of short reading" in the lectionary, he ended the reading. :confused:

The entire long version was read at the second Mass.

[quote="UpUpAndAway, post:13, topic:319186"]
As sacristan, I attend two Masses every Monday. At the first of the two this past Monday, the lector started the long version but when he got to where it says "beginning of short reading" in the lectionary, he ended the reading. :confused:

[/quote]

That was definitely wrong. Maybe he thought that if he left people with a cliffhanger they would go home and read the whole story, but the people probably thought they would hear the rest of the story the next day.

It is a neat story. I am actually surprised at how many people had not heard it before. I think our religious education needs to include more stories.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.