If you were becoming a religious and had to pick a new name, what would you choose?

I’m entering a convent this September (Praise God! Finally!!!) and am now totally daunted by the idea of choosing a new religious name. The policy of the community I’m joining is that I can suggest three names and, hopefully, the superior will choose one. If she doesn’t like my suggestions she will simply pick a name for me.

I realize that this is something I will be praying about for a good while, (it’s something I’ve already been praying about for a while!) and I’ll find the name in God’s perfect timing, but in the meantime I’d like to have some fun and thoroughly enjoy this process, and so I’d like to ask you, if you were entering a religious order, what name would you pick? Male or female, whatever you like.

The community I’m entering is very Marian and I have a deep love for Latin, so right now I’m pondering names like:

Assunta, Pieta, Annunciata, Dolores.
Or… Sister Amata Christi. Amata is Latin for dearly beloved. Christi meaning, of course, Christ. Dearly beloved Christ. :heart:

So anyways, what would you choose?

I would add the name Mary,
GGreatest of the saints.

St John Vianney and St John Bosco had Mary as their second name.

Our Lady is the greatest saint. Why settle for lesser?

In honor of the canonization, Azélie-Marie!

Blessed Blessed Azélie-Marie “Zélie” Martin née Guérin was a French laywoman and the mother of Saint Thérèse de Lisieux. Her husband was Blessed Louis Martin. She is expected to be canonized in October 2015 together with her husband.

louisandzeliemartin.org

I’d be Isaac because Isaac caused his parents to laugh with joy at having a child; and because of St. Isaac Jogues.

I was in a noviate for 2 years. I was Sr. Mary Therese. Best two years of my life! :heart:

Obi Wan Kenobi

edit: Sorry. For some reason I thought this was in the Back Fence.

I chose Ephrem Mary for my confirmation name, so if I was permitted a dual name for my religious name I suppose that is what I would pick as well.

I love your first choice!

Mother Teresa walked on this earth in my lifetime as a Saint, so I would try and incorporate her name.:slight_smile:

What a beautiful name! Adding your husband to my prayers.:rolleyes:

I would definitely pick Mary.

Don’t they choose the name for you?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Annunciata is the name of my uncle’s mother.

Not always, no. It all depends on the community. Some let you choose, or let you make suggestions for them to choose.

I like Mary, because of the Blessed Mother and because it’s my name :wink: I’m adopted (didn’t find out until 4 years ago :eek:), and my birthmom had named me Toni :confused:, but my mom changed it to Mary because she was very devoted to the Blessed Mother. My middle name was Elizabeth, and she kept that. I like Mary Elizabeth, and my confirmation name is Ann.

I also like Assunta, because it was my mother-in-laws name, although they called her Millie. It was also my Aunt’s name, but they called her Minnie.

Maria Annunciata – eight syllables!!! – is the name I always wanted. But when I was in the novitiate, I changed and wanted the name Marie Therese, or Maria Teresa. I just fell in love with St. Therese of Lisieux and St. Teresa of Avila (and I was in a Benedictine monastery :D).

God bless you, dear one!

Gertie

You could do Mary Angelica like Mother Angelica from EWTN. Also, I have seen a couple sisters with the name Fiat in honor of Mary saying to the angel Gabriel, “Let it be done unto me.”

May God bless you as you enter the convent! :slight_smile:

Haha that’s hilarious. Sister Obi Wan Kenobi :stuck_out_tongue:

My community allows postulants to suggest three names, then the Superior chooses from those names. Or if she doesn’t like the suggestions she will come up with something entirely different.

Thank you! And I really like the suggestion of Fiat!

I’d be Br. Michael Mary.

I have a devotion to St. Michael and of course Mary, Mother of God. :slight_smile:

Sr. Teresa Evangelina
Sr. Baraga Marie
Sr. Teresa Catherine

My husband and I are making our Profession to OFS on June 24th. He has a special devotion to St. Michael the Archangel. Our Fraternity is very Marian and we all make a Consecration to Mary, so he is taking the name Brother Michael Mary!

I am taking the name Sister Agnes Maria. … The Agnes is for St. Agnes of Assisi, sister of St. Clare. I love her plus I was a close friend of a Franciscan Sister whose name was Agnes. So my choice is to honor both Agnes’ in my life! I chose Maria instead of Mary simply because it was more Italian!

Pax et bonum!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.