If you were not in married in a Catholic church does the church recognize the marriage?

I was married in the same room as where we had out reception, by a non denominational minister, who performed a basic civil ceremony, my question is, does the church recognize the marriage? If I were to divorce would I still be able to receive communion?

Catholics are bound by canonical form. That means that if one of the persons getting married is a Catholic that they must be married in the Catholic Church or receive a dispensation to be married elsewhere. Otherwise the marriage is invalid.

If both persons in the wedding are non-Catholic then they are free to marry anywhere and their marriage is presumed valid unless proven otherwise.

If you are in an invalid marriage and later divorce, then you simply need to go to confession in order to receive communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.