If you were starting an encyclical study group, where would you start?

I’ve been mulling over this idea for a little while now. I want to start a little study group at my parish where we look at council documents, encyclicals, declarations from the CDF, etc., etc. I’m not sure if there would be much interest. Anyway, if you were to start one, what would be a few the of documents you would want people to look at first?

depends on the focus of the group
for family life: Humanae Vitae and the Gospel of Life
on the Church, Lumen Gentium
for teachers and Catechists, The Splendor of Truth and Faith and Reason
the social justice encyclicals for that focus, etc.

Start with Pope Paul VI’s **“Humanae Vitae”. ** It is short but yet very gripping. Then you can move onto Pope John Paul II’s **“Evangelium Vitae”. ** What better way to begin something then to start it with the subject of life. From the moment of our first breaths of this world we seek eternal life.

[quote=Genesis315]I’ve been mulling over this idea for a little while now. I want to start a little study group at my parish where we look at council documents, encyclicals, declarations from the CDF, etc., etc. I’m not sure if there would be much interest. Anyway, if you were to start one, what would be a few the of documents you would want people to look at first?
[/quote]

From JPII - Christifideles Laici or Familiaris Consortio

From Vatican II - Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation

[quote=Genesis315]I’ve been mulling over this idea for a little while now. I want to start a little study group at my parish where we look at council documents, encyclicals, declarations from the CDF, etc., etc. I’m not sure if there would be much interest. Anyway, if you were to start one, what would be a few the of documents you would want people to look at first?
[/quote]

WITHOUT A DOUBT, it would be the following (all of which can be foung online):

1.) Mortalium Animos, Pope Pius XI. On true and false Church unity.

2.) Mirari Vos, Pope Gregory XVI. On liberalism

3.) Satis Cognitum, Pope Leo XIII On true Church unity.

4.) Libertas Praestantissimum, Pope Leo XIII. On true and false liberty.

I would start there. If you were to study these encyclicals in depth, you would have a very good foundation. These are the most important because they deal explicitly with some of the main errors of our day.

[quote=J.R.]Start with Pope Paul VI’s **“Humanae Vitae”. ** It is short but yet very gripping. Then you can move onto Pope John Paul II’s **“Evangelium Vitae”. ** What better way to begin something then to start it with the subject of life. From the moment of our first breaths of this world we seek eternal life.
[/quote]

That’s a very good starting point, and then I would go on to Veritatis Splendor. From their Sacrosanctum Concilium and then Lumen Gentium, followed by Dominus Jesus. I would also look at the encylicals that specifically address the Mass. Congratulations on starting your study group;may God bless you and the Holy Spirit guide you. It’s so important that we Catholics know our faith today.

Mercy! Except for * RSiscoe, it would appear we’ve only had 2 popes since the Catholic Church began…
*The longest pontificate since Peter was Pius IX. Maybe he had a worthwhile encyclical. Or, has the modern era nullified historical wisdom and insight?

[quote=TNT]Mercy! Except for RSiscoe, it would appear we’ve only had 2 popes since the Catholic Church began…
The longest pontificate since Peter was Pius IX. Maybe he had a worthwhile encyclical. Or, has the modern era nullified historical wisdom and insight?
[/quote]

Hey, I like Quanta Cura (and that little appendix that was attached to it). I’ve actually been reading up on Pius IX recently. It’s funny, he was actually considered liberal himself when he was elected and for the early parts of his pontificate. He then saw the dangers and quickly turned into the “Scourge of Liberalism” we’re all used to.

I am an extremely linear person, so I would start with the earliest available and move forward in time from there, studying the development of doctrine as I went.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.