If you were wrong would you want to know it?

Greetings,

I have been in a discussion with a person on this forum about the possibility of them being wrong. I never said this person is wrong, just if there is any possibility that they could be wrong.

Through our discussion it seems as though the idea of being wrong has never entered this persons mind. They are so sure of their own position the idea of possibly being wrong sounds absurd–but is it?

We are all human, and within our humanity is fact that we are finite. We have limited knowledge and with limited knowledge comes the possibility of being wrong.

Only God has all knowledge and therefore is always right.

Do you think you could be wrong?

If you were wrong, would you want to know it?

Oh yeah, bigtime.
some of my best learning is here when good people like BroSFO, Deacon Ed and others correct me. I am often right, but when I am wrong it is usually a howler.

[quote=puzzleannie]Oh yeah, bigtime.
some of my best learning is here when good people like BroSFO, Deacon Ed and others correct me. I am often right, but when I am wrong it is usually a howler.
[/quote]

Same Here.

wrong and right, in the case of faith, are judgement calls
a lot of the time…

in the case of dogma and church teaching, there are hard
facts to draw from…

i am wrong at least half the time, now if i could just figure
out which half is wrong, and which half is right… lol

:slight_smile:

:yup: I would

Some people just don’t ever want to hear they are wrong…

[quote=johnshelby]wrong and right, in the case of faith, are judgement calls
a lot of the time…

in the case of dogma and church teaching, there are hard
facts to draw from…
[/quote]

Agreed. If I’m wrong, I’d like to know – but I don’t really need people telling me I’m “wrong” just because I happen to disagree with their personal opinions. :wink:

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

That’s how most of us learn, from our mistakes. Sometimes we learn from other’s mistake’s too. (Isn’t that nice? You don’t even have to make the mistake yourself.) I had 8 older brother’s and sister’s that I learned a lot from watching and observing my parents reactions. (I sure didn’t do some of the things they had done, I can tell you that, I didn’t ever want to see that look on my father’s face directed at me.) :whistle: I never wanted to make my mom sad either, so I noticed things that bothered her and tried not to do those things, now, I am not saying that I never did some of those same things, I sure made my share of mistakes.
However, I still would want to know if I were wrong. None of us likes hearing that we are wrong but it sure is necessary to know.

Interesting question. As a revert from the fundamental branches, “I know what I know what I know” was a famous catch phrase. In other words I may not be able to explain why but I know it is the truth because the Holy Spirit guides me, (my pastor).

So to think you are wrong, is to doubt your faith in Christ. Questioning your beliefs, having doubts are from Satan.

This is part of the package you are working against from our fundamental brothers and sisters in Christ. Haven’t yet met a Catholic Christian who thinks like that.

God Bless,
Maria

[quote=MariaG]Interesting question. As a revert from the fundamental branches, “I know what I know what I know” was a famous catch phrase. In other words I may not be able to explain why but I know it is the truth because the Holy Spirit guides me, (my pastor).

So to think you are wrong, is to doubt your faith in Christ. Questioning your beliefs, having doubts are from Satan.

This is part of the package you are working against from our fundamental brothers and sisters in Christ. Haven’t yet met a Catholic Christian who thinks like that.

God Bless,
Maria
[/quote]

The person I was debating is a Calvinist. I posed the question to see if they were open to truth. As Christians, I think we must follow the truth wherever it leads us (truth being Christ of course). To some non-Catholics I have dialogued with this seems extreme because I am not giving blind faith to the Church (as if this is what the Church desires of us).

If I were shown the Catholic Church false, I would leave Her in a second. Who would want to be part of something they know is false?

Knowing you can be wrong is the first step in intellectual honesty and humility. It is also a proper understanding of reality.

Peace

I’d rather be corrected and be wrong then to mislead and decieve people. But then again, what if the person who corrected me and said I was wrong was WRONG themselves??

Not that I ever am wrong, but IF I was, I’d want to know. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[quote=Della]Not that I ever am wrong, but IF I was, I’d want to know. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
[/quote]

now that just ain’t right… lol

:slight_smile:

I was wrong once…

I thought I was wrong but I wasn’t.

(Stole that one from my Dad!)

Yes, I would want to know, but I would want to be approached charitably. I have a great friend who has helped lead me into the fullness of the Catholic faith; she always approached it with “The Church teaches…” instead of “I believe …” That always impressed me and I try to remember that as well.

And always, I would want to pray with that person that God would lead us to the Truth.

I think it depends on the situation. Most importantly is how the person tells me I am wrong. If the person is simply trying to rub my face in it or be condescending, I don’t want to hear it like that. I most especially don’t want to hear that my opinion or other non-objective ideas are wrong. If I’ve said something objectively wrong, however, I would love for someone to point it out and provide documentation for me to further explore the subject. I’d be frustrated if the person said “You’re wrong.” and left it at that or other vague notions and I would most likely stand up for what I said. However, if I were presented with proof of being wrong I would be the first to apologize and admit my error (and I would also be fascinated that I learned something new…I’m such a geek.)

Im not trying to play devil’s advocate, I am just curious to see responses.

Does anyone here think they could be wrong that there is a God or that Catholicism is the Truth?

my answer: No, Im not wrong.

dxu

[quote=dennisknapp]Greetings,

I have been in a discussion with a person on this forum about the possibility of them being wrong. I never said this person is wrong, just if there is any possibility that they could be wrong.

Through our discussion it seems as though the idea of being wrong has never entered this persons mind. They are so sure of their own position the idea of possibly being wrong sounds absurd–but is it?

We are all human, and within our humanity is fact that we are finite. We have limited knowledge and with limited knowledge comes the possibility of being wrong.

[/quote]

I am wrong quite often. That is one of the reasons whay I can no longer belong to any Faith that makes the individual the final arbiter of the Truth and correct interpretation.

I absolutely want to know the Truth. Jesus Christ is the way and the Truth and the Life. There is nothing false or in error about Him. So the closer we get to the Truth, the closer we get to Him. The more error we eliminate in our beliefs, the closer we get to Him.

[quote=dennisknapp]Greetings,

[/quote]

Wrong on details, dates, specifics and perhaps needed guidance in my ways to correctly interpret the teachings of the Holy Mother Chruch? Of course! How else can I continue to be an Obedient Daughter if I am not humble enough to learn?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.