If you're snowed in

I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right spot or not, but here goes. If you're snowed in, and the lovely town you live in doesn't see fit to clear the neighborhood streets (only main roads), is it a mortal sin to miss Mass (even though you really want to go)? We have about 8-10 inches of snow and we're likely going to get another 10-16 inches more by tomorrow morning. It's really coming down here. On one hand I'm willing to try and see if my minivan can plough through the snow, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk my kids' safety. I'm fairly certain the CCD class I teach on Sunday mornings will be cancelled, but I'm still waiting on word regarding that.

From the Q&A on the Arlington (VA) Diocese:

Q: If there are conditions such as illness or severe weather, am I still obligated to attend Sunday Mass?

A: All baptized Catholics are obliged to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. However, there are particular circumstances or conditions that may excuse a Catholic from this obligation. If you are ill, homebound, or if there are severe weather conditions that make attending Mass dangerous to your safety or that of others, you are excused from the obligation. In such cases, if you are unable to attend Mass, the Church recommends making a spiritual Communion and spending some time in prayer.

Boy when i was a kind we would walked 6-1/2 kilometers to go to Church in a blizzard With Three feet of snow on the ground.

no seriously if you can't get there you can't get there i usually go to a weekday mass if i can to "make up" for the missed mass.

The Archbishop of Baltimore has officially dispensed us from our Sunday obligation. A number of parishes have canceled their Saturday afternoon and evening Masses, presumably to keep the ultra-pious home and safe.

Even if your bishop does not do that, you are not obligated to endanger yourself or others in order to get to Mass.

Betsy

[quote="HickmanJosh, post:3, topic:180275"]
Boy when i was a kind we would walked 6-1/2 kilometers to go to Church in a blizzard With Three feet of snow on the ground.

[/quote]

Uphill both ways, right?

[quote="2HunnyBuns, post:1, topic:180275"]
I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right spot or not, but here goes. If you're snowed in, and the lovely town you live in doesn't see fit to clear the neighborhood streets (only main roads), is it a mortal sin to miss Mass (even though you really want to go)? We have about 8-10 inches of snow and we're likely going to get another 10-16 inches more by tomorrow morning. It's really coming down here. On one hand I'm willing to try and see if my minivan can plough through the snow, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk my kids' safety. I'm fairly certain the CCD class I teach on Sunday mornings will be cancelled, but I'm still waiting on word regarding that.

[/quote]

I sometimes say to people "if you're able to get to the mall, or the soccer game, or the restaurant, or the movie theatre, then you're able to get to Mass." From your description, it certainly seems that you are NOT able to get to Mass, so clearly you're released from the obligation. Don't risk your safety.

Thank you all for your responses. Apparently we're just getting to the mid-point of this storm. I'm so irritated with the timing of this storm. I'm fairly certain my CCD class is going to be cancelled so I won't get to have my Christmas party with them. :( And then I get to worry about stupid things like not being able to pick up my new envelopes at church or drop off the gifts they're collecting for the needy this weekend (I'll drop them off at the parish office on Monday pending the roads are cleared.). I'm holding out hope that our street will get cleared and I'll still be able to get to Mass, but I think it's highly unlikely.

[quote="baltobetsy, post:5, topic:180275"]
Uphill both ways, right?

[/quote]

every day

In my case, I live next to a major road that's a snow route and is plowed. My street is plowed, and all of the neighbors were out between 8am-10am shoveling away like it's a huge neighborhood snow party.

Unfortunately, my parents (who either stopped being Catholic or were never raised Catholic :shrug: ) don't want to take me to Mass. :( They hear of ice on the roads, but that could be some non-major road that's been plowed only once, not 3-10 times like our street was this morning, or 20+ times like the main road at the top of the street. The church is right up the street, too.

[quote="baltobetsy, post:4, topic:180275"]
The Archbishop of Baltimore has officially dispensed us from our Sunday obligation. A number of parishes have canceled their Saturday afternoon and evening Masses, presumably to keep the ultra-pious home and safe.

[/quote]

Believe me, I was ready to walk in the snow to confession and pray the Rosary at church during a blizzard! :o :whistle:
;)

[quote="FrDavid96, post:6, topic:180275"]
I sometimes say to people "if you're able to get to the mall, or the soccer game, or the restaurant, or the movie theatre, then you're able to get to Mass." From your description, it certainly seems that you are NOT able to get to Mass, so clearly you're released from the obligation. Don't risk your safety.

[/quote]

I agree. If you plan on leaving the house for anything other than Mass than you can certainly go to Mass. Of course, it sounds as if the OP can't leave at all.

Do you have EWTN or internet access? You could always just take an hour out of your day watch the Mass and make an Act of Spiritual Communion.

[quote="FrDavid96, post:6, topic:180275"]

[/quote]

They've actually closed the mall here. I guess it takes two feet of snow to close a mall a few days before Christmas. No getting to Mass here either.:(

[quote="2HunnyBuns, post:1, topic:180275"]
We have about 8-10 inches of snow and we're likely going to get another 10-16 inches more by tomorrow morning.

[/quote]

I'm in Ewing, NJ. We got around 13"-16", and they didn't plough our street this morning, but my wife and I were able to walk to a church only a couple of blocks down the street. But if you're unable to get to a church safely, you are relieved of the obligation to attend mass.

[quote="HickmanJosh, post:3, topic:180275"]

no seriously if you can't get there you can't get there i usually go to a weekday mass if i can to "make up" for the missed mass.

[/quote]

Sounds like one of my Dad's storys.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.