Ignatian Spiritual Exercises retreat?

Hi all. I am considering attending a retreat offered nearby on Memorial Day Weekend, for the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises. It is presented by the priests of Miles Christi. I’ve had a look at the agenda and tried to read a little about the exercises online, but I’m still not sure I understand what it would be like. Has anyone been to one of these? How did you find it?

Thank you!

It won’t be the full spiritual exercises, a retreat that ideally takes 30 days, but no doubt the meditations will be based on them, a very solid retreat from a solid source. I envy you. Basically they consider the life of Christ at certain points, particularly the passion and help you relate them to your own life, particularly as it relates to discerning God’s will for you. Why not give up trying to control or predict the experience and simply accept in humility, docility and gratitude what has been planned for you?

I guess I was more asking if it was a solid source or not :o I am still new to all of this, you know? I am going to call and see if there are still spaces available tomorrow. This would be my (belated) birthday gift.

Hi fieldsaparrow

I went on one of these retreats about half a year ago. It was a 3 day silent retreat based on the spiritual exercises. It was not my favorite retreat because i love to talk but it proved to be the most powerful for me. I really felt close to God and had more than one mystical experience. I would strongly recommend it and let yourself be guided by the exercises. Don’t’ hold back!

God Bless You!

I did the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises, which takes the 30 day retreat and stretches it our over 30 weeks. I have also done a silent 5 day retreat in the Ignatian tradition. Both experiences changed my life, so much so, that I have changed the focus of my theology studies so that I may direct the Spiritual Exercises.

I say “go for it” ! :smiley:

Peace be with you on your journey!

Well! There were spaces available, I was able to reschedule my husband’s visit to town, and my manager said I can leave early so I will arrive on time. I’m mailing in my registration tomorrow :smiley:

I love St. Ignatius (surprise, right? based on my name :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have done 3 19th Annotation Retreats of St. Ignatius’ Spiritual Exercises, once as a retreatant and twice as an assistant director. The retreat I was a part of was extended over 10 months, based on the academic schedule. Nothing has brought be closer to the Lord than these retreats.

Enjoy your time alone with the Lord! Know that the work you put in (remember, these are exercises, just like the physical exercises we do, spiritual exercises are work as well!) will be felt long after the formal retreat ends.

I just have to post again and say that I am very excited that I have the blessing and opportunity and means to attend this retreat.

I put a blog post about it, too, so I’m sorry if you’ve read this twice, but my ideal “vacation” is and always has been quiet time to reflect. The opportunity to do so with spiritual direction, and so closely following my confirmation, is not to be taken lightly, I think. I know that in only two and a half days, the Spiritual Exercises will be much abridged, but I’m hoping to learn a lot and to be able to carry that with me in my everyday life. I could cry for gratitude (on which a separate thread about adoration). Normally this is not the kind of thing I would be able to do, but my birthday was last week and thanks to those gifts, and to other circumstances lining up just right, I have this chance.

If you think of it on the weekend of Memorial Day, pray that I might not ever take such grace for granted and that I might be able to focus and not experience anxiety at being “out of touch” with my husband and my cats, and that the weekend might bring me to a more perfect love of God.

Fieldsparrow

I said a little prayer for you and I’m sure your retreat will be a wonderful experience. The most important thing is to let go and let God. You will often be tempted to not follow all of the instructions given or become discouraged about one thing or another but do not give in to this. I also strongly recommend going to confession during the retreat if it’s available

God Bless You

Well, I went, and it was wonderful. I will definitely sign up as soon as the dates are available here for 2012, and I loved it. It was exhausting and hard and amazing. I am so blessed to have had this opportunity practically in my own back yard. Fr. John of Miles Christi was the priest for this retreat and his totally obvious love of Christ was contagious. I would recommend these retreats to anyone, if you should have the opportunity to go. I’m hoping I can drag a couple more people along with me next year :wink:

The silence was not a problem for me, as I am kind of an introvert anyway. It did provide a really good opportunity to just talk to God and that is a habit I think will stick with me. Strangely, I didn’t experience much anxiety at all which is highly unusual for me. :thumbsup:

Wish I had seen your post sooner. I would have been happy to recommend a Miles Christi retreat and hopefully relieve some of your anxiety. I have been to 3 of their retreats and they are wonderful!!!

They change the talks every year so you will experience something different each time you go.

I wish I can go to a retreat, I make the exercises by myself. I hope you will reap much fruit from the retreat:)

I think you will find this link interesting

Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola
basilica.org/pages/ebooks/St.%20Ignatius%20of%20Loyola-The%20Spiritual%20Exercises.pdf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.