Ignatius and the Church fathers are to blame...?

R_C,

I think you did a good job!

He’s gonna be in a real mess when he reads the Martyrdom of Polycarp.

I also applaud :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: your charity and tact in dealing with that whole situation. [SIGN][size=]Way to go Bro![/SIGN][/size]

R_C,

I think you did a good job!

:tiphat:

Why thank you CM.

So the church was in error before the Middle Ages? Like during the early post-apostolic fathers? Sheesh, St. Ignatius was used as evidence for the four canonical gospels being considered the true testimonies of Jesus and not the gnostic gospels during the early church. Those who combated the Davinci Code turned to him to show that the early church had the four canonical gospel and they did believe Jesus is divine.

But then there are Protestants (pardon me, non-Catholics, since Protestant is offensive to many) who say that Polycarp, Ignatius, and many others are myths, that these people never existed, and their supposed letters and writings are forgeries created by the Catholic Church centuries later.

Calvin College has a website that contains all the writings of the early church fathers. Here is the link:

ccel.org/fathers.html

I’ve used this website to read the early writings.

I’ve referred other Protestants to it. They’ve reported back that the website itself states that some of these early writings are shaded in their true origin, and that it is possible they are forgeries by the Catholic Church.

It’s certainly possible that the scholars at Calvin College would write stuff like this, since historically the Reformed Church has been opposed to Catholicism.

To me, this kind of thinking sounds like what Hitler said about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Scholars had proved that this work was a piece of fiction. Hitler said, 'Of course they say that. They are trying to cover up the truth."

The old “conspiracy theory” mindset. The “Mulder Mindset” (Fox Mulder on X-Files): “They’re all lying to us.”

Anyway, I’m not really sure how to answer this theory, since “scholars” support it.

Soooo, how do we know the Bible isn’t a forgery and the gnostic texts are the true ones?

Ignatius, Clement, and Polycarp were so power hungry they allowed themselves to be martyred. That is what all the great tyrants have done. Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli had much more political power than the early church did.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.