Ignatius Catholic Compact Bible RSV

Hello y’all,

I have been looking at purchasing a more compact Catholic Bible to carry with me to use for apologetics instead of my huge clunky Bible. I came across this Bible on Barnes & Noble and thought it sounded like it was meeting my needs:

barnesandnoble.com/w/rsv-ignatius-catholic-bible-ignatius-press/1030249494?ean=9781586171018

It is the RSV Ignatius Catholic Bible (Burgundy) with a Zipper to close it

I was just wondering if anyone had any history with this Bible or could give me any suggestions for a more inexpensive but very nice compact Bible (under $30) with a zipper closing. I am wondering also, is the font too small to read? Some reviews I’ve seen on Amazon for it say its too small to read.

Thank you so much and God bless!

Landon

I have it and I enjoy the compact size. There is also some nice, basic prayers in the back. While I think the point of a compact bible is to be just that, "compact", I have no troubles reading the font personally. I recommend it!

It is also available on Amazon.com at a lower cost.

I own it and love it. The print is small, this is true, but I wear drug store glasses to read anyway so it's not a problem.

I also own this Bible and love it. The print size can be a challenge when it’s late and I’m tired or if light conditions are low (like at Adoration), but it’s fine for me otherwise.

I have it to take to retreats & meetings, instead of my larger Bible. The print is very small, and I wouldn't, personally, use it for a LOT of reading. But for looking things up, and for short readings -- like a chapter or so -- it's great to have a small one like this.

(Of course, your eyes may be better than mine, and more reading wouldn't be a problem.)

I bought both editions of this bible: the zipper version and the non-zipper version. I found that the zipper version makes the first few books and last few books of the bible a bit challenging to get to. I recommend the non-zipper version for that reason.

I love this bible otherwise. The font size isn’t a challenge for me. The pages are a bit thin, so be careful not to turn the pages too fast and to make sure your hands aren’t even a little bit wet or else you could damage the pages.

I have it and I find it to be very convenient and I love the translation. Yes, I too need reading glasses to see the small print but that doesn't really bother me.

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:325265"]
Hello y'all,

I have been looking at purchasing a more compact Catholic Bible to carry with me to use for apologetics instead of my huge clunky Bible. I came across this Bible on Barnes & Noble and thought it sounded like it was meeting my needs:

barnesandnoble.com/w/rsv-ignatius-catholic-bible-ignatius-press/1030249494?ean=9781586171018

It is the RSV Ignatius Catholic Bible (Burgundy) with a Zipper to close it

I was just wondering if anyone had any history with this Bible or could give me any suggestions for a more inexpensive but very nice compact Bible (under $30) with a zipper closing. I am wondering also, is the font too small to read? Some reviews I've seen on Amazon for it say its too small to read.

Thank you so much and God bless!

Landon

[/quote]

I'm over 50 and the font is too small to read. It's a stripped down text, with few footnotes or cross-references. Not much room for notes in the margins, etc. I got rid of my copy, someplace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.