Ignatius Press RSV

I bought this Bible with a giftcard off amazon: amazon.com/gp/product/0898705851/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it any good? Does it come with Catholic commentary or is it just the standard NT? What is the formatting like?

I haven’t received it yet and don’t know when I’ll receive it. Is it a good Bible to carry around with you? Mostly I am looking for a Bible like this for me to bring to work and read it during break times.

The “lineage” of the RSV is The American Standard Edition before it, and the King James Version, before that.

So, it’s going to retain some of the lyric quality of translation of that old and favored version.

It’s the Catholic edition, so you’re good to go, there.

The RSV-CE is one of my favorite Bibles. Though I prefer the RSV-2CE, I am not sure that there is a pocket edition of that. It does not come with a commentary, but you can find one here (though it’s for the RSV-2CE, which is slightly modified and updated):
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1586172506/ref=aw_d_dsc_books

I haven’t gotten that particular Bible, but I can attest to the RSV-2CE. It’s my personal favorite modern Bible translation.

The product the OP linked is indeed the RSV-2CE, a pocket New Testament and Psalms.

My bad!

I have it and like it very much. It is a little bigger than your standard 5x3 pocket NT, but the payoff is the size 9 font! It is very readable, the NT portion is first and is in a two column format which is followed by the Psalms, in single column format. It comes with two ribbon markers and the quality is good (especially for the price). And I like the RSV-2CE translation very much!

You didn’t buy a Bible. You bought part of a Bible.

I’m not saying that it is bad, just that it is not the complete Bible. I know many people who carry around a tiny little pocket NT with Psalms.

Here is what it looks like inside: books.google.com/books?id=DoH0VIT-IfQC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

-Tim-

Semantics. It really IS a common practice to only have part. Most, if not all, “pocket Bibles” are only the New Testament and Psalms. The Ignatius Study Bible is currently only the New Testament, because they don’t have all the commentary on the Old Testament yet. I fail to see why we can’t call these Bibles. :shrug:

I’m a big fan of pocket/small Bibles (yes, they are Bibles; the NT is, after all, part of the Bible).

I wouldn’t mind a pocket Bible with the OT, but I already have a “pocket” ESV (both OT+NT) and the text is ridiculously small. While I’m not that old yet, I do have to wear glasses. Tiny font makes my eyes hurt, so I’m hoping the text on this Catholic Bible will be easier for my eyesight.

I would love to carry a giant Bible with full OT+Deuterocanon+NT but that’s just not possible when I’ll be working. I have a vintage pocket RSV New Testament but I don’t want to be bringing that with me to work and wearing out the binding. I do have quite a tendency of wearing out the binding on my Bibles quickly.

I get the idea of the pocket NT with Psalms. I understand. I am not putting it down. Many people carry them in their pockets. I can identify the guys from Opus Dei because they always have one in their pocket. I get it. I really do.

But that’s not what the OP purchased. What he purchased is 6.9 x 4.7 x 0.8 inches and costs about $16. amazon.com/gp/product/0898705851/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are beautiful leather bound, zippered, thin-line RSV-CE Bibles from Oxford University Press on Amazon for under $20 plus shipping. It is smaller than what the OP purchased (6.125 x 4.5 inches). amazon.com/Catholic-Bible-Revised-Standard-Version/dp/019528853X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388802791&sr=8-1&keywords=9780195288537

The OP asked if the Bible he purchased was good to carry around and read at work during break time. It is. But for a few dollars more he could have had the whole Bible - everything from “In the beginning” all the way to “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!”

For the record, I own the giant hardcover Ignatius NT Study Bible, but the whole Bible doesn’t have to be a giant tome with small unreadable text. I have carried a thinline on planes all over North America, up and down the east cost, in endless hotel rooms, read it in the computer room, waiting in lobbies, and I’m blind in one eye.

-Tim-

First of all it’s “she.”

I already have the OUP zipper RSV: CE. I like the whole “zipper” Bible thing but particularly not this version. I like the icon and the Miraculous Medal too.

There are no headings that really guide me to as what I’m reading. The pages are easy to rip. Not a big fan of “thee’s” or “thou’s” either. It’s not a “pocket” edition (at least, it doesn’t fit in my pockets). I think my biggest grip with the OUP zipper RSV: CE is the fact that the front and back cover are cheaply put together. I’m already getting bends and creases on the cover. Another issue is that I can’t bend the Bible easily due to the zipper binding; it does not easily open for me.

I guess one question about that Bible (zipper one) is, how waterproof is it?

While I don’t necessarily dislike this version I think it is a poor, shoddy attempt to be put together and then sold to me for $30 (which is what I bought in store). I’m not questioning the translation but rather the actual Bible itself.

And I know I’m not making sense with myself, since the Bible I bought in question is relatively the same size as the OUP zipper RSV: CE and isn’t so much as a “pocket” edition. But it appeals more to me than the zipper Bible I bought in the past. Plus I got a giftcard so why not spend it on such a thing? I’m hoping the quality is better but perhaps, I’m wrong. I guess I’ll have to share what I think of it when I receive it. If I like it enough I’ll maybe get my name engraved on the front cover.

I’m not trying to argue with you by any means but really just sharing what I thought about the OUP zipper RSV: CE.

For me the very compact Bibles out there use a cramped size 6 font. I can’t concentrate for prayerful reading when the font size is that small. The Ignatius NT and Psalms has the larger print size (size 9) and fits into the back pocket of my shorts for when I go out for a long walk (yes I live in California).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.