Ignatius?

This may be the wrong forum so move me if you need to. I just became aware that St. Ignatius can be kind of a polarizing figure for Catholics? Or at least that’s how I’m understanding some of what I’m reading. My first and only exposure to Ignatius comes from my spiritual advisor leading me through Timothy Gallagher’s “Discernment of Spirits” and I LOVE the book. It’s helped me immensely. Can anybody shed light on some of the issues surrounding Ignatius?

I went to a Jesuit school, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for St. Ignatius. Not sure what the source of controversy would be.

I don’t know anything about such a polarization, but I can recommend the book, also
Weeds among the Wheat, Discernment: Where prayer and action meet, by Thomas Green SJ

The Jesuits have certainly been a bone of contention among Catholics - but not St. Ignatius Loyola, the Founder of the Company (later, Society) of Jesus; or not in recent times.

The “Exercises”, & the character of the Society, were controversial to begin with. St. Ignatius had some trouble with the Spanish Inquisition, & there was a good deal of friction between the Jesuits & the Dominicans, on several issues - the Society has never been made of shrinking violets :slight_smile: - but that’s all I can think of.

Okay, maybe I’ve got it wrong, which is great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.