Ignorance and sin

I agree 100% with the Church’s teaching on moral issues such as being completely against abortion. However, I did not know until recently that the Church says that abortion should be illegal in countries from a policy standpoint. I am a fairly new convert and have not studied a whole lot about Catholic moral theology. I do not disagree with this policy, but I would like to know if this is an example of ignorance, and if it is, would it be considered sinful? Thanks.

How could it be sinful? You’re still learning. It’s not willful ignorance. It’s a happy fact of human existence that we can’t possibly know everything or be expected to. I’m a deacon about to be ordained a priest, in my tenth year of formal theological studies and my fourth at the graduate level, and I’m still learning new things every day. Be at peace.

-ACEGC

I’m confused. You knew abortion was murdering a baby by didn’t know one should fight to make murder against the law?

I never really thought about it until I was reading guides here on CA on how to vote as a Catholic.

I can’t imagine not thinking about that. I’m not making fun of you but I just don’t understand how you can understand and agree with the church being against abortion but not know your moral obligation extends to your civic duty!?

Especially in the politically charged climate we live in.

Easy there. The fellow is a convert, and it’s possible he came from a religious background where political matters are at the fore. Not every denomination has such a developed social teaching as the Catholic Church does. And not every person thinks about things so politically. It happens.

My first time voting was a few years ago when I was 18 and not really thinking about my Christian faith. My family is Christian, but we get kinda sick of hearing and talking about politics from watching the news and pay less attention to it. I feel like I worry a lot about sin, too, so I just want to be sure.

Don’t scruple about this. You’re learning.

He who is without sin among you, let him be the one to cast the first stone. (Or who hasn’t completely thought through an issue that has not impacted his life.)

Keep asking questions. It is the best way to learn.

OK. Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.