Ignorant Catholics

Why is it that I find many non-christians who reject God to be nicer (don’t swear, lie, fornification etc.) than many catholics I know that go to church every Sunday and even participate in them. What’s going on here? And does the ignorant catholic here who sins much more than the non-catholic have a better chance of goign to heaven? What you guys think about this situation and my question?

[quote=Polska]Why is it that I find many non-christians who reject God to be nicer (don’t swear, lie, fornification etc.) than many catholics I know that go to church every Sunday and even participate in them. What’s going on here? And does the ignorant catholic here who sins much more than the non-catholic have a better chance of goign to heaven? What you guys think about this situation and my question?
[/quote]

I am sorry that your experience has been as such. However, you have to remember that it is your experience and it may just be the people that you are hanging around. My experience is quite opposite. The catholics that I know are much better morally than the other friends that I have had who are not catholic. This is why such experiences are not a good measure of truth. What we have to say is that it is not because someone is catholic or not that they are a good person but rather they are a good or bad person who happen to be catholic or not be catholic. As far as salvation is concerned - remember that Christ said that to whom that much is given much is to be expected. So, in a sense the catholic will have a harder time gettign into heaven. However on the same not the catholic has the confessional whereas the non-catholic does not therefore that in itself will make the salvation of the non-catholic difficult.

[quote=Polska] Why is it that I find many non-christians who reject God to be nicer (don’t swear, lie, fornification etc.) than many catholics I know that go to church every Sunday and even participate in them. What’s going on here?
[/quote]

I’d say you are generalizing based on your own limited experience. I think it says more about the specific Catholics you are exposed to rather than a general rule about the billion other Catholics on earth.

[quote=Polska] And does the ignorant catholic here who sins much more than the non-catholic have a better chance of goign to heaven?
[/quote]

If both are **equally ** ignorant and **equally ** sinful, I’d say, if only by the Catholic’s exposure to grace, he or she’d have a better chance. If both were in unrepented mortal sin due to something than anyone knows as wrong (say cold-blooded, pre-meditated murder), they’d both go to hell, otherwise ignorant or not.

It is a reasonable question.

Those who know better will receive a bigger punishment:

Luke 12:47 And that servant who knew the will of his lord, and prepared not himself, and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

The Catholic who is sinning is more likely to be acting against his conscience, and they are more blameworthy than a clueless pagan who tries his best to follow his conscience.

Catholics have more opportunity to obtain forgiveness, overcome sin, and be spiritually strengthened etc., but if they don’t make use of it, it is their own fault.

As for going to heaven, anyone who persists in refusing the grace of God, whether Catholic or not, will not go to heaven.

There are different levels of reward in heaven, and different levels of punishment in hell. Everything we do matters.

hurst

[quote=Polska]Why is it that I find many non-christians who reject God to be nicer (don’t swear, lie, fornification etc.) than many catholics I know that go to church every Sunday and even participate in them. What’s going on here? And does the ignorant catholic here who sins much more than the non-catholic have a better chance of goign to heaven? What you guys think about this situation and my question?
[/quote]

Because catholics think they are all pious and saints yet seems not to know as much about love as a non christian who knows nothing about God and just about anything to do with His bride the Church. Not all catholics are like that though Thank God, so Polska the Church still has Hope!! I know catholics that are humble loving and are well informed on moral issues and live Life the way Christ wants them to( No fornicating, no swearing etc) even if they aren’t perfect. Keep praying, the Church will be united as one Loving Church one day…(even if not in this world)

Podo

[/quote]

Most of the human race is ignorant. As many are Catholic as anything else. Ignorance is an intellectual status not a sin by itself.

Nicer to who? Other snobs?

Swear? Swearing makes you a lout not a sinner. I know of no commandment that reads, "Thou shalt not say “@#$@#”.

Lie? The commandment reads, “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor” not “Thou shalt not tell thy children that mommy is sick when she is actually staggering drunk.”

Fornication? Though it is not church teaching, many Catholics in the old world and Latin America would think ANY intimacy between people without a proper Catholic wedding is fornication. Mostly the people who ask strangers, “Are you a Christian or a Protestant?”.

Who is more likely to go to heaven? Not my call.

Yes, I agree with many of the responses. I have an essay, in fact, which sort of addresses how there can be many non-Catholics who are much holier than alot of Catholics. Consequenlty, salvation largely has to do with how dilligently one seeks the truth and help from God. Many Catholics are indifferent to the Church’s faith, which is the ultimate treasure spiritually, whereas many Protestants, having much less of the truth and grace, nevertheless seek and live what they do have to a much greater degree.

the same can be said of other religions of even lesser truth than Protestant.

You can read more here on my aforementioned blog article.

GB,
scott

[quote=richbansha]Swear? Swearing makes you a lout not a sinner. I know of no commandment that reads, "Thou shalt not say “@#$@#”.
[/quote]

I’d quible on this one. A potty-mouthed Christian provides a poor witness to unbelievers and may even be a source of scandal. This may at least be a venial sin.

1Pe 2:12 -
Maintain good conduct among the Gentiles, so that in case they speak against you as wrongdoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

All the world is a bell curve no matter of which group one might speak. Some are skewed, some are not and depending on which particular part of the bell curve the people you meet belong to, they will for you be representative of that whole group. Some are very good, some are very bad, and usually most are somwhere in betwixt. One’s own personal experience will always be tempered by the crowd in which one runs. My old Mom always said,“Birds of a Feather Flock Together.” So if one doesn’t like the flock one is in, it is time to make a change; maybe a very personal one.

Christians, even very sincere ones, are all at different maturity levels. No matter thier desire to serve Christ, an individual who has not progressed very far in their spiritual growth might seem much less worthy then a nonChristian in some areas.

Not only do we all grow spiritually at different rates but also different aspects of a person can be very mature while other aspects can need a lot of work. That is why occasionally you find, for example, some very earthy people who curse and have other problems can be extremly generous and loving while someone who has perhaps overcome their desire to curse might seem a little cold in their concern for others. Both people are Christian, just different sides of their personalities have matured. In time, they will probably even out.

I think this is why Jesus tells us not to judge. We have no idea what is going on in another’s heart, mind or soul. God can see the bigger picture for that person, we can not.

how does one know if Catholics fornicate in greater numbers than non-Catholics or non-Christians?

[quote=Dan-Man916]how does one know if Catholics fornicate in greater numbers than non-Catholics or non-Christians?
[/quote]

I was begining to ask that myself …?

[quote=Dan-Man916]how does one know if Catholics fornicate in greater numbers than non-Catholics or non-Christians?
[/quote]

Perhaps Catholics are simply more honest with their faults.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.