Igreja do Bonfim?

Can anyone tell me more about this odd situation?
justbrazil.org/brazil/salvador/explore/005.asp

:confused:

Why would this be a place of veneration for Catholics?:confused:

This “church” is about the farthest thing from Christianity as can be.

31 views, and no comments?

Another interesting thing I learned while stumbling on this situation, was the Yemaja. Are there any posters here from Brazil?

I looked at wikipedia in Portuguese:

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igreja_de_Nosso_Senhor_do_Bonfim

and also the website of the church itself:

senhordobonfim.org.br/

I can not read Portuguese that well, but I did not see anything there about “Candomblistas (a local religion)” as mentioned in the article. If anyone is a native Portuguese speaker/reader I would be interested in their opinion.

Since the article is in English and is online to promote tourism I would venture a guess that the writer may not have been familiar with the Church of Senor do Bonfim and its devotions. I would not be so sure that the “mães de santo” are actually “candomblé priestesses” without this being verified by someone from that church.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Or even “novels based on fact,” such as The Da Vinci Code :wink:

Go back to Wiki and search Candomble. That is why you could not find it. I had no problem finding it.

You liken their office for tourism as ignorant as Dan Brown?
Of course they are clueless and inventing lies to prevent catholics from going to visit, and scandalizing them for grins.:rolleyes:

Well, I guess we need Tim Staples to answer this one.

Actually, I don’t even care to learn about candomblé or whatever it is.

The website of the church itself did not mention an affiliation with candomblé. That’s all I was saying.

Sou triste que você não é esperto.

Avé Maria, cheia de graça, o Senhor é convosco, bendita sois Vós entre as mulheres, bendito é o fruto do Vosso ventre Jesus. Santa Maria, mãe de Deus, rogai por nós pecadores, agora e na hora da nossa morte, Amén.

You like not knowing things? I thought this was not what Catholics actually taught. The pope said you can use reason and logic with faith.

Geeze.

You cant bear to know what this crazy cult is and how catholics venerate in this heathen cult church?

That church my friend, is not Catholic!

Its Condoble. Did you really even read anything on the site?
They think they are Catholic! Apparently many uneducated catholics think so too!

Look up Yemaja if you are in a really daring mood.

notsmart i think you really need to stepaway for awhile and meditated on this

2 For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. 3 Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’ while the wooden beam is in your eye? 5 You hypocrite, 3 remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.

NS,

What’s with you?

Look, the cult is something that grew up there in Brazil, but is in no way part of the Catholic faith and in fact is the kind of thing that the church condemns. I have no doubt at all that the local priests there speak out all the time to insure that Catholics are aware that the cult is inconsistent with their faith.

It is not uncommon in some parts of the world for Catholicism to be intermixed with local superstitions and pagan rituals (even in New Orleans you see some of this on a smaller scale). I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, it just is the way it has evolved over the centuries. I’m sure local Church officials are well aware of the situation and do what they can to control it.

Why - as a Midwestern American - are you so concerned about the Church in Brazil? Aren’t there enough issues and causes in your own back yard that need fixing and could use such attention? :cool:

Interesting note - I actually wore a fita when I was a kid when my cousins brought them back from Brazil where they were living at the time (one of them is still living in Sao Paulo as a permanent resident). It was interesting to read where that actually came from, at the time it was just “a good luck ribbon”. :slight_smile:

~Liza

I would not buy a fita for my child, because its not a christian sacramental or symbol or for christian use.
Why do I care about the people in Brazil?
Isnt that like asking why do I care about the people in China, or Africa or anywhere else?
The Church is universal, and is not limited to a geographic area, neither are my concerns.
I guess that means I am thinking like the Church lol.
Church Millitant, I am not upset with the Church here (even though I read how some of the Churches built in the 1500’s there, were built by priests that were also plantation owners…:ehh:
But, back then things were a bit different certainly.
I am wondering if there was a synctrism that backfired and even though the Church now condemns it, it was the Church that initiated it in hopes of conversions, like it has done in other countries with heathen natives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.