Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib Barred From Entering Israel Over BDS Support; Netanyahu in Meetings: Reports

Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), who have both been accused of making antisemitic statements, are reportedly being barred from entering Israel over their support for an international movement aimed at marginalizing the majority Jewish country. Meanwhile, another report indicated that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was meeting with officials and hadn’t made a decision yet.

The reason for the reported ban is “suspected provocations and promotion of BDS,” Dana Weiss of Israel’s Channel 12 reported on Aug. 15, referring to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement.

Weiss said the ban is now “official.”

So, officially, they are being banned per one source. I will wait to see if there is more confirmation on this matter.

AP is reporting the same

1 Like

I don’t agree with this decision. I’m not a fan of either of these women, but by not allowing them to visit, all communication, including communication that could encourage them to revisit their decisions halts. It’s short-sighted IMHO.

4 Likes

Their support for TDS is more troubling, to me.

1 Like

I’m surprised Tenancy Deposit Service would arouse such strong feelings in the USA.

4 Likes

We are a passionate people.

Read up on it. They had a very one sided itinerary,

they refused to meet with Jewish officials or any groups representing the other side of BDS, people that might give them an alternative view.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I agree. Some of the “help the Palestinians” talk is really aimed at destroying Israel as a nation and its people as a people. How can Israel be boycotted without weakening the state and its defenses? How can there be a “Palestinian state” under Hamas which has vowed to destroy Israel and kill all Jews worldwide? Those women have to realize their policies would, if adopted, end up in a second Holocaust. Allowing these women into Israel wouldn’t be as bad as allowing a Himmler or an Al Quaeda leader in, but it’s not as far away from it as many would have us believe.

3 Likes

On the radio news a short time ago, they said this was all about their support for BDS, Boycott, Divest, Sanction against Israel. I thought some of the Democratic candidates voted against at least, outlawing BDS.

In latest news

I think she rejected it.

1 Like

Yes later reports i have just read say she has. Time will tell if she goes, given a relative is unwell.

On another note, Trump fatshamed one of his own supporters at a rally, when he got moxed up and thought he was a protester. He only thanked him for his support after being informed he was a protester, but did not apologize.
This should be a new thread, but things like that are not ok by me. Nor his run back hometo your momma statements.

1 Like

Bebe is cut out of the same cloth as Donny, it appears…first he says no, then he back peddles and will allow a “humanitarian” visit…next he’ll whisper into Trump’s ear to tweet that he never said that! LOL

I see this as bad faith from our congresswoman.

I’m quite chubby myself, I’d have likely thrown back a remark about, ‘Maybe we can attend Weightwatcher’s classes together bro’ at him. He’s no picture of physical fitness himself.

1 Like

/s

1 Like

Strawmen are so easy to knock down.

Isn’t this thread really about Omar and Tlaib, though? Anti-Trump statements are a bit forced here.

it is not an anti trump statement. it is a narrative of what happened at a rally and a comment on perhaps a leader not commenting on personal issues. The mother of one of these women is quite ill. It is charity and mercy for the daughter to travel to be at her bedside. World leaders should really know all the facts and not comment if this is not directly related to government business.

Completely agree. And Israel agreed also.

Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib said Friday she would not visit her grandmother in the occupied West Bank, despite being granted an Israeli permit on humanitarian grounds, saying Israel’s “oppressive” conditions aimed to humiliate her.

How is Israel humiliating her? She is also playing the race card. I am not so sure the representative is being honest here.

“Visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions meant to humiliate me would break my grandmother’s heart,” she said in a statement. “Silencing me with treatment to make me feel less-than is not what she wants for me — it would kill a piece of me that always stands up against racism and injustice.”

It is now Racism according to the representative. Never mind that the whole region wants to terminate Israel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.