Illegal drugs

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what the church teaches about the morality issue of illegal drugs. Here is my impression and please correct me if I am wrong.

A practicing Catholic would do their best to not do something illegal even though there is no church teaching on that issue. For example, if the state sets the sales tax at 5%, then a good Catholic would pay it even though no where in the bible does it say, you should always pay 5% tax.

However, on the other hand, if the state says ‘Abortion is legal’ a good Catholic would protest in a peaceful way to change that law because it is sin.

So, the question is, how does the church see doing illegal drugs?

Also, the reason I ask is because down the street from me lives a couple with a 7 year old son. Often last summer I would sit on their porch and talk. They did not strike me as the type of people I could be close friends with because they are unreliable (ie never make plans more than 5 mintues in advance) and the woman seems to be one of these people who in social interactions can only take so much and then uses her kid as an excuse to not give me attention. (Which I respect)

Last summer, I had the attitue, why not accept them for who they are and enjoy the friendship they can give me. They are friendly and there are certain things we can talk about it. I had the attitude, don’t try to change them, just accept and be grateful for what they can give you.

I always knew the husband smoked pot when with his buddies. But today, as I was walking home from church, I saw him in his driveway with his buddie. He handed his buddie a ‘cigarette’ which I found odd because his buddy is always saying he doesn’t smoke becausee he likes to go to the gym (yet he told me he does smoke up). Well, I walked by and said hi and kept going. After I passed their house, I smelt hash. I found it odd that I didn’t smell it when I was standing beside them. It had to be them because no one else appearred to be around.

What shocked me is they were doing this in broad daylight in the front yard where anyone could see !!! There is NO way I would call the police because they would figure it out

However, I am wondering if for my own protection I should stay away?

Thanks

CM

No matter what the church teaches on them, illegal drugs are heinous. Anyone who glorifies them should be shot. I’ve been sober for two years, three months-I have a bit of experience in that. When people get high, they don’t talk about feeding the poor and stopping abortion. They usually hook up or lie around doing nothing. When you need money to get illegal drugs, druggies lie, cheat, steal, and will basically do anything to get more money to get more drugs. So even if your stupid/blind enough to endorse heavy drug use (Not saying you are) , a Catholic who can think from point A-B quickly realizes that drugs are terrible.

Does that mean you should call the police on your husband? No, but you should have a talk with him. Smoking pot doesn’t cause everyone to advance to harder stuff, but almost all of the junkies I knew started by smoking pot.

Hi raskling,

I just want to point out this is NOT my husband. It is the neighbour's husband

Thanks for your support. The reality is, I do feel the subtle pressure that if I let them know I do not wish to be around them when they do drugs, they will gang up on me. Last summer when one of their friends offered me a 'drag' and I flipped out they told me to watch it if I wanted to get home safely

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:3, topic:241055"]
Hi raskling,

I just want to point out this is NOT my husband. It is the neighbour's husband

Thanks for your support. The reality is, I do feel the subtle pressure that if I let them know I do not wish to be around them when they do drugs, they will gang up on me. Last summer when one of their friends offered me a 'drag' and I flipped out they told me to watch it if I wanted to get home safely

CM

[/quote]

Okay, sorry if I misunderstood about the husband thing.

Clearly, I have a dog in the fight.

I'd stay the heck away from them. What took me a long time to learn is that there is a difference between "friends" and "people who you get high with".

Stay away from them, or interact with them as mildly as possible (if you’ve been friendly, keep being friendly, but “busy”). I don’t like that veiled threat they gave you…a little dangerous.

The difficult part is that they have a child. If they are neglecting the child, and you know that they are or see that they are, it should be reported.

I don’t think the child is being abused at all. If anything he is a little annoyance the way he always buts into our conversations and they think it is cute.

They usually keep the drinking and drugs away from him (not sure where he was tongiht). And quite often I will see the dad take the kid to the park. To be honest, if it weren’t for the drugs, they are actually the type of neighbours the brady bunch would have

CM

Then I would just be friendly but not get involved in their recreational activity. And no, I would not report them to the police. I don’t think you have any moral obligation to do that.

There are two teachings from the church to consider. One is you are to submit to church and secular authority. Do not break the law!

Second, God did not create you and die on the cross for you, just to see you whither away like a unrepentant prodigal son that imbibes on material that warps your mind. You have a debt to God to live your life in a manner that is worthy of eternal life.

You were wondering if you should stay away. My opinion is, this is the effect of your guardian angel trying to drag you far away from this house.

Forgot to say, and it may go without saying, that you should of course add these people and especially their son, to your prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.