Illegal immigrant sentenced in Reno rape of paralyzed woman

A life in prison term was imposed Wednesday upon a married father of one who dragged a paralyzed woman out of her wheelchair, raped her, and then left her lying nude in an alley.

rgj.com/article/20100526/NEWS01/100526016/1321/NEWS

I want to point out a couple of things about this ruling.

In rendering a sentence of life against Ortega, Flannagan said he would be eligible for parole after serving at least 10 years in prison.

“You will be deported at the earliest opportunity and will never return to this country again, except lawfully,” Flanagan said.

Doesn't you're judicial system make you feel safe?

With all the crazy stuff that goes on out there, it would not surprise me one bit to see this guy walking freely in this country in 10 years.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:1, topic:201283"]

Doesn't you're judicial system make you feel safe?

With all the crazy stuff that goes on out there, it would not surprise me one bit to see this guy walking freely in this country in 10 years.

[/quote]

I must say that is not a particularily forgiving attitude. We should be appalled by his actions; but to proclaim any person unforgivable is not very nice.

:thumbsup:

[quote="JohnDamian, post:2, topic:201283"]
I must say that is not a particularily forgiving attitude. We should be appalled by his actions; but to proclaim any person unforgivable is not very nice.

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Its not up to me to forgive this illegal. I do not want him living next door to me in 10 years. I do forgive you however.

As a paralyzed woman myself, I am appalled by this story. Where is the mainstream media? Where are the disabled rights activists? ACLU? Gloria Allred? All I am reading about on rgj's website are comments discussing the attacker!! Who will be helping this victim going forward??

[quote="dotFaith, post:4, topic:201283"]
As a paralyzed woman myself, I am appalled by this story. Where is the mainstream media? Where are the disabled rights activists? ACLU? Gloria Allred? All I am reading about on rgj's website are comments discussing the attacker!! Who will be helping this victim going forward??

[/quote]

The Left is absolutely outraged that they dared to ask him if he was in the counry legally.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:3, topic:201283"]
Its not up to me to forgive this illegal. I do not want him living next door to me in 10 years.

[/quote]

Would you feel better if the rapist was an American citizen living next door to you? Is the problem that he is a rapist or an illegal?

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:6, topic:201283"]
Would you feel better if the rapist was an American citizen living next door to you? Is the problem that he is a rapist or an illegal?

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

What? Raping a woman is sick. Raping a paralyszed woman is even sicker. Post 2 was absurd and your questions are as well.

[quote="Orogeny, post:6, topic:201283"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

The man had been recieving taxpayer funded treatmen at a State mental hospital for 10 years. Perhaps if Nevada had a law like Arizona passed someone would have figured out he was here illegally.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:7, topic:201283"]
What? Raping a woman is sick. Raping a paralyszed woman is even sicker. Post 2 was absurd and your questions are as well.

[/quote]

Then why the emphasis on illegal immigrant rather than rapist?

Peace

Tim

[quote="estesbob, post:8, topic:201283"]
The man had been recieving taxpayer funded treatmen at a State mental hospital for 10 years. Perhaps if Nevada had a law like Arizona passed someone would have figured out he was here illegally.

[/quote]

Right, but they didn't. However, bbarrick8383 seems to be most upset by the fact that he is an illegal alien and not that he is a rapist. As he noted in the third post of this thread, "Its not up to me to forgive this illegal", not "Its not up to me to forgive this rapist" . I find that odd.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:9, topic:201283"]
Then why the emphasis on illegal immigrant rather than rapist?

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Excellent question.

[quote="Orogeny, post:10, topic:201283"]
Right, but they didn't. However, bbarrick8383 seems to be most upset by the fact that he is an illegal alien and not that he is a rapist. As he noted in the third post of this thread, "Its not up to me to forgive this illegal", not "Its not up to me to forgive this rapist" . I find that odd.

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Im upset by the whole thing. Considering he is illegal I wonder if it could have been prevented. Finding it odd on how I refer to him is splitting hairs and a waste of time.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:12, topic:201283"]
Im upset by the whole thing. Considering he is illegal I wonder if it could have been prevented. Finding it odd on how I refer to him is splitting hairs and a waste of time.

[/quote]

I don't disagree that had he been removed from the country, this rape would not have occurred and I am willing to accept that you are upset about the whole thing. It is a very disturbing occurrence.

However, your continued insistance to refer to him as an illegal rather than as a rapist makes me think that you would not be as upset if he were here legally.

I wonder if you would have started a thread about this crime if the rapist had been born and raised in Reno. I also wonder why you have not posted that you are upset that a person with a mental illness is allowed to walk the streets and commit this crime. Perhaps if we had a better way to help those with a mental illness, this rape would not have occurred.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:10, topic:201283"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

I didnt get that all from BBARICKS833 post. I think this case is being highlighted becuase it shows the need for the Law so many on the Left are outraged about

[quote="estesbob, post:14, topic:201283"]
I didnt get that all from BBARICKS833 post. I think this case is being highlighted becuase it shows the need for the Law so many on the Left are outraged about

[/quote]

I agree 100% with the Arizona law. I just think that it is a mistake to continually point out this type of crime as examples of why we need to secure our borders when the same crime committed by a citizen or legal resident would likely not even be commented on in this forum.

I think a case could be made that this guy, illegal status and all, would not have committed this crime if he had been in an effective treatment program for his mental issues. The fact that he is illegal would still be an issue and he should be returned to his country of origin, but at least the rape would not have taken place. I understand that if he had been deported, the same result would have occurred, but my point is that the crimes he committed (rape and spousal abuse) are much worse than the other crime he committed (entering the country illegally). I think making an issue of his immigration status diminishes the severity of his other crimes.

I originally replied to this thread only because bbarrick8383 claimed that he wouldn't want that illegal living next to him. No mention of the infinately worse crimes he is guilty of.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:15, topic:201283"]
I agree 100% with the Arizona law. I just think that it is a mistake to continually point out this type of crime as examples of why we need to secure our borders when the same crime committed by a citizen or legal resident would likely not even be commented on in this forum.

[/quote]

Because it is the POLITICAL FORUM. The place to discuss these things. The ruling and the illegal justified it's location in this forum. I posted that an illegal raped a woman. Had I not posted it, you would likely have never heard of it. If it had been an American raping this woman in Reno, neither you or I would have heard of it. The fact that he is illegal, he raped a woman and the woman was paralyzed made me post this story. I'm not going to apologize for that. It is not a mistake to point out "this type of crime", it is exactly just another reason why we need to secure the borders.

I think a case could be made that this guy, illegal status and all, would not have committed this crime if he had been in an effective treatment program for his mental issues. The fact that he is illegal would still be an issue and he should be returned to his country of origin, but at least the rape would not have taken place. I understand that if he had been deported, the same result would have occurred, but my point is that the crimes he committed (rape and spousal abuse) are much worse than the other crime he committed (entering the country illegally). I think making an issue of his immigration status diminishes the severity of his other crimes.

This is not a this or that crime. They stack, he is an illegal who raped a woman. To call him an illegal rapist didn't sound right, to call him a rapist takes away from the fact he's an illegal. I established the heinous crime he committed in the first thread, and I wanted to call him an illegal beyond that.

I originally replied to this thread only because bbarrick8383 claimed that he wouldn't want that illegal living next to him. No mention of the infinately worse crimes he is guilty of.

Peace

Tim

They are mentioned in the article which is at the link in the first post of this thread that **I **started.

What's sad is the direction this thread has taken. If I were not mistaken I'd think we have some ACLU trolls on the forums.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:16, topic:201283"]
Because it is the POLITICAL FORUM. The place to discuss these things. The ruling and the illegal justified it's location in this forum. I posted that an illegal raped a woman. Had I not posted it, you would likely have never heard of it. If it had been an American raping this woman in Reno, neither you or I would have heard of it. The fact that he is illegal, he raped a woman and the woman was paralyzed made me post this story. I'm not going to apologize for that. It is not a mistake to point out "this type of crime", it is exactly just another reason why we need to secure the borders.

[/quote]

You pointed it out, but you still seem to have a bigger problem with the fact that he is an illegal rather than the fact that he is a rapist. The more you post, the more it seems that way.

This is not a this or that crime. They stack, he is an illegal who raped a woman. To call him an illegal rapist didn't sound right, to call him a rapist takes away from the fact he's an illegal. I established the heinous crime he committed in the first thread, and I wanted to call him an illegal beyond that.

No, they don't stack. There is a world of difference between being in this country illegally and rape. And unlike you, I find the rape MUCH worse than his being here illegally.

They are mentioned in the article which is at the link in the first post of this thread that **I **started.

And in the third post of this thread, you wrote "Its not up to me to forgive this illegal. I do not want him living next door to me in 10 years." No mention of the rape.

What's sad is the direction this thread has taken. If I were not mistaken I'd think we have some ACLU trolls on the forums.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:17, topic:201283"]
There is a world of difference between being in this country illegally and rape.

[/quote]

Really? Thanks for pointing that out Sherlock. I've always thought that an illegal who committed rape was still an illegal.

And unlike you, I find the rape MUCH worse than his being here illegally.

:thumbsup: You've got me.

And in the third post of this thread, you wrote "Its not up to me to forgive this illegal. I do not want him living next door to me in 10 years." No mention of the rape

That's because I do not want "this" illegal living next door to me in 10 years. Hint hint, you know the rapist. Are you all upset because I'm referring to him as an illegal rather than an undocumented worker?

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about yourself.

You're the one, with the help of a couple the resident libs, who has turned this thread from an illegal raping a paralyzed woman, into "why did you refer to him as an illegal"?

Sounds ACLU'ish to me.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:7, topic:201283"]

[/quote]

I do assume to know what bothers you the most, but the question is not absurd. When using the article title, as per the rules, "illegal immigrant" is given the place of emphasis. What bothers me the most is that in Reno a life sentence for a violent felony can result in a mere ten years in prison. Now *that's *absurd.

[quote="pnewton, post:19, topic:201283"]
What bothers me the most is that in Reno a life sentence for a violent felony can result in a mere ten years in prison. Now *that's *absurd.

[/quote]

Which is what I was also trying to point out in the original post. I kind of thought that would be the direction this thread would go.

But I was wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.