Illinois School Pushes Smut on Children

An article on Catholic Exchange…

catholicexchange.com/node/65137

hmm, what are the books?
they only reference one, Fat Kids, which would be objectionable, but I’d still want to know the other titles.

I have to be blunt but it’s a free country and I am free to express a personal opinion. There is one and only one reason why a so-called responsible adult would push sexually explicit fiction, videos, music or other media on a minor child, and that reason is the adult wants to initiate sexual feelings and responses in that child for his own purposes and self-gratification. Such an adult is by definition unfit to work with children and youth in any capacity, much less in education.

Can you spell homeschooling? I knew you could!

None of this should be surprising, however, considering what the NEA wants to foist off onto innocent children. The NEA’s agenda to corrupt children with any and all types of sexual deviancy and perversion is crystal clear. All you have to do is read through their own material, such as this: eagleforum.org/educate/2006/aug06/resolutions.html

And this is why there are Catholic schools!!!

More and more are finding ways to remove thier children from the public schools whether it be private schools or homeschooling. There will be a point (hopefully sooner than later) where kids going to public schools will be in the minority. Expect a backlash against “alternative” education.

That’s kind of weird. I wonder why they don’t think homeschool kids should be allowed to participate in the schools extracurricular activities?

originally posted by OneAugustKnight
That’s kind of weird. I wonder why they don’t think homeschool kids should be allowed to participate in the schools extracurricular activities

Not really. They want to perpetuate that homeschooled kids are not social. They don’t want to give them anything.

Many towns don’t provide bus transportation for catholic schools even though catholics pay tax dollars.

I went to get a simple library card which costs about $40.00. I was told that my homeschooled son would have to pay for a library card even though cards are free to kids in the public system.

originally posted by BlestOne
And this is why there are Catholic schools!!!

Need to watch them too. My catholic schools had days with girls dressing up as Bretty Friedan Gloria Steinhem.

Also my daughter in her catholic high school class had a biology book with forty pages on the wonders of abortion and every birth control method imaginable. When I complained, I was told it was a college level book and they wanted the students to have highest educational level book.

Whoa! on the books and Whoa! on the NEA site.

I wish there was a site that rated books. My daughter is WAAYYY into reading and I couldn’t keep up if I tried. I try to steer her in the right direction but I’m sure there’s a lot sneaking in I don’t want her reading.

I also did not know the NEA “officially” lambasted homeschooling! So THEY are the only ones who can do it right! Give us complete freedom to do whatever we want!

As I contemplate high school for my kids, I get more and more afraid of what they will learn at the local high school. (They go to a great Catholic K-8, we have to decide between Catholic HS somewhat far away and public school). I suppose I have to find out how much of this my school is buying into.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for this info.

I can’t say I am surprised about the book selection though. I graduated less than ten years ago, and the high school AP English teachers were always influencing us toward sexual interpretations of novels, going on about phallic symbols and rape and which characters might be gay. And the message behind nearly all the novels was nihilism or existentialism.

Uh, isn’t that because they aren’t enrolled in the school? If I send my kids to private school, they can’t participate in the public school activities, can they?

But, yes, the NEA is a union, and all of their positions are formulated to protect their union members.

Here homeschool kids are legally free to participate in public school sports, band, etc. We’re still paying the taxes, you know.

As for the Catholic schools, with the exception of one, the rest around here are terrible.

The schoolboard has to approve my application to homeschool, review my curriculum annually, review the child’s schoolwork annually, I have to provide them third party reference letters to prove my child is learning at or above grade level, plus my children have to take standardized tests at the school to ensure they meet the state requirements which are averaged in with the school’s overall performance. I pay property taxes and vote in the local school board election.

If the NEA think they are entitled to oversee my children’s home education, they should open extracurriculars to her also.

And the private school should do the same. They have no spaces for my child in the classes, they should at least have room in the choir or services club or cheerleading or whatever. I contribute, give me an inch.

When I went to school, it was $150 per activity to participate in extracurriculars (and this was a public school.) This didn’t even include the cost of uniforms for some activities (cheerleaders, for example, had to order new uniforms every year) Home school students were welcome, as long as they paid the activity fee. Most parents of homeschool students would not pay, and that’s why they didn’t participate. I know i was usually close to $1200 each year for me, but I guess most people would stick with only one activity.

:thumbsup: I completely agree. Homeschools have zero business in public schools or private schools. People have to accept that every choice has pros and cons.

Yes, I pay taxes too. So what? Probably 95% of my taxes go for things I am not allowed to use or don’t want to use. Such is life.

Oh and “charter” or “cyber” schools are NOT homeschooling. They are nothing more than a distance learning program from a public or private school and are probably the greatest threat to homeschooling rights and freedoms right now.

Hi gam197,

Some of this seems a little odd to me as an American. Do you live in the US, or another country? I’m curious.

Martha,

What are “charter” and “cyber” schools? I am new to homeschooling and I have not heard of those.

And, no it doesn’t really upset me that the Catholic school doesn’t have room for my daughter. It’s not their fault, and I can educate her better at home anyway.

I’m not going to stop contributing to my parish just because it doesn’t serve me in very many ways. It provides me with the Sacraments and that’s enough.

That sounds like an unreasonable level of supervision to me–are you sure that’s what your state law requires, or could it be that your local school board is trying to discourage homeschooling! This does happen, I’ve heard of new homeschooling parents actually being told that homeschooling is illegal!!

You can check the requirements for homeschooling in any state http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp I know in the state where I live, all you need to do is to send the superintendent of schools a letter each year stating that you are homeschooling…

The Homeschool Legal Defense Association - Just joined. They keep abreast on all legal and illegal activities for the states and various countries around the world. Awesome group. Christians as well. Which state MAKES you show the curriculum to the public school? That is illegal in the state of IL as well as most of the states. You better check out the HSLDA and check on your state’s legal status. P.S. the HSLDA cannot do anything for you unless you are a member. The cost is very inexpensive.

They have also passed certain laws allowing children with special needs to receive the programs since the parents are paying for them in tax dollars. In the state of IL, Catholic schools receive services in special needs from the public school system.

The reason the NEA is up in arms is because they are finding that their positions are not absolutely needed and they are threatened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.