Illness

Has anyone ever read in the Bible that God puts or allows illness on someone. I do remember Job. I can’t find in the CCC the answer. Well it seems if God would put illness on us that would be doing evil to obtain good. God can’t do that.

Yes.

God allows evil to bring about good all the time. The greatest example is in Jesus.

God the Father allowed the evil crucifixion of His Son to be carried out, in order that a greater good could come from it, namely our salvation.

God doesn’t put illness on anyone. He allows us to live in this world where illnesses occur.

One Christmas time about 30 years ago I heard about two cults. One of them was going to hold an event the next Monday. I had a severe cold so stayed away so didn’t have the chance to “get hooked” by it. The following Monday the event of the second cult was on and clashed with the first one, and I thought the second more interesting and I joined it!

Am still trying to figure all that out!

:wink:

I’m reminded of this passage from John 9 (NAB)

John, chapter 9

The Man Born Blind.

• As he passed by he saw a man blind from birth.
  • His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
    Jesus answered, “Neither he nor his parents sinned; it is so that the works of God might be made visible through him.

:thumbsup:

We cannot truly know health without knowing illness. We cannot know happiness or joy without knowing suffering. We have physical bodies so we experience pain. There is no light without darkness. There is no warmth without cold. There is no high without low. There is no good without bad.
Illness whether mental or physical is simply the mind or body being out of balance. These are my views and are simply the way things are. Be well-stay safe.

illness is not eternal. Yet we consider them rationally against our will. It is true, for our nature knows how, by reason of God’s supernatural divinity.

What does that mean?

the elders, the monks of the desert used to say that - ‘‘to whom God gives the heavy cross to those he wants to reward with the crown of light’’. humility and thanksgiving are the qualities which are more valuable than anything else. we do not know the answers for many questions.
and on some questions we’ll get the answers only in eternity.

Well, first off, don’t get too hateful about illnesses. Bacteria and viruses have a right to live, too. If Adam and Eve hadn’t sinned, maybe we would coexist happily with them all the time, like we do with our gut bacteria that we need to live. But we sinned, so we have to put up with stuff like colds or even deadly diseases.

Second, there are plenty of us who have found God allowing or using illness as a sort of brake system on our stupidity. If we’re not smart enough to live a healthy life, God lets the bacteria and viruses teach us better. If we’re not smart enough to rest, getting sick makes us rest.

Illness can also be a way to find wisdom and joy. Sometimes it is a last chance, as with terminal illnesses. Sometimes it is the beginning of a new life, as with St. Ignatius of Loyola’s long sufferings after his war wound. Sometimes it is a test that eventually makes one spiritually stronger and leads to greater glory and joy, as with St. Job.

And finally, there are times when God seems to send a deadly or chronic sickness on one person as a way of saving everybody else from that person’s deadly or chronic evil deeds. If God can’t reach somebody and get him to see sense, He can at least protect other people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.