"I'm a Catholic not a Christian sir!"

JMJ

I just got an automated phone call to my residence. Of course there was no name on the recording. I hit the recall button on the phone and dial back the incomming number and of course the phone number was busy. So I call the phone number the message left. I am on the “Do Not Call” registry and I often report these phone calls so I call to get the name of the company.

When I get through to a person He is gruff to start with and does not identify his company or his name. So I ask what caompany he is with and he tells me he is with “Allied Interstate” whatever that company is? It turns out both my wife and I have talked to operators at this company to take our number off their list several times over the last few months. I told the guy this too. The guy stayed mildly rude and said he would take our number off his list. I told him we had been promised that numererous times before and I was going to report his company to the “Do Not Call” web site. I was actually very nice to him through the whole thing.

He said if I was going to report him then why should he “waste” his time taking my number off the list? Then I responded, “Well if you’re a Christian you should do it because it IS the right thing to do no matter what.”

OK, here’s the shocker! What do you think he said?

He said, “I’m not a Christian sir!” So I’m thinking he’s Hindu or or something and responded as a typical fundamentalist evagelical Catholic that I am with, “Would you like to know Jesus? May I share Him with with you?”

Then he said with great hostility, “Sir, I’m not Christian I’m Catholic!”

:eek:

Now I’m flaburgasted. I try to tell him he IS a Christian and he argues with me that he is NOT Christian he is CATHOLIC! He got very rude about it too.

Basically, I just wanted to say I’m sorry to a few Protestants out there - we do have a problem in the Catholic Church as it turns out. A major problem. The problem is not the Church or it’s Dogma since that is from God. The problem is us Catholics! Catholics like I tried to witness to on the phone.

Pope Benedict XVI said he is going to cleanse the Church of the cafeteria Catholics. I wish him all the luck in the world. I think we need to clean house again.

Comments out there?:frowning:

I don’t have much use for anybody with automatic dialers. I actually had such technology in a voice mail business over 10 years ago, but didn’t use it because I just don’t like it and wouldn’t use it to other people except for scheduled wake-up or reminder calls the customer requested.

This guy must think Catholics can get away with acting like a twit because we have confession. Betcha he never goes to it. :smiley:

OK, so was that an un-Christian, but Catholic, response to this clod? :hmmm:

Peace!

Alan

[quote=Malachi4U]JMJ

I just got an automated phone call to my residence. Of course there was no name on the recording. I hit the recall button on the phone and dial back the incomming number and of course the phone number was busy. So I call the phone number the message left. I am on the “Do Not Call” registry and I often report these phone calls so I call to get the name of the company.

When I get through to a person He is gruff to start with and does not identify his company or his name. So I ask what caompany he is with and he tells me he is with “Allied Interstate” whatever that company is? It turns out both my wife and I have talked to operators at this company to take our number off their list several times over the last few months. I told the guy this too. The guy stayed mildly rude and said he would take our number off his list. I told him we had been promised that numererous times before and I was going to report his company to the “Do Not Call” web site. I was actually very nice to him through the whole thing.

He said if I was going to report him then why should he “waste” his time taking my number off the list? Then I responded, “Well if you’re a Christian you should do it because it IS the right thing to do no matter what.”

OK, here’s the shocker! What do you think he said?

He said, “I’m not a Christian sir!” So I’m thinking he’s Hindu or or something and responded as a typical fundamentalist evagelical Catholic that I am with, “Would you like to know Jesus? May I share Him with with you?”

Then he said with great hostility, “Sir, I’m not Christian I’m Catholic!”

Now I’m flaburgasted. I try to tell him he IS a Christian and he argues with me that he is NOT Christian he is CATHOLIC! He got very rude about it too.

Basically, I just wanted to say I’m sorry to a few Protestants out there - we do have a problem in the Catholic Church as it turns out. A major problem. The problem is not the Church or it’s Dogma since that is from God. The problem is us Catholics! Catholics like I tried to witness to on the phone.

Pope Benedict XVI said he is going to cleanse the Church of the cafeteria Catholics. I wish him all the luck in the world. I think we need to clean house again.

[/quote]

“Christian” can mean, in no particular order:

[list]
*]Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth, whether nominal, practicing, or any other
*]Evangelical Protestant
*]Fundamentalist Protestant (sometimes they call themselves “true” Christians - as contrasted with “nominal” Christians in “dead” - i.e. non-Fundamentalist - churches. This may be a purely British usage.)
*]person of upright life, regardless of doctrinal convictions or lack of them
*]Protestant, usually in the US, who is a member of the Disciples of Christ (otherwise known as Campbellites)
*]In countries where the Reformation has made little headway, “Christian” is simply a synonym for “Catholic”.
[/list]I suspect your Catholic was denying that he was a Christian in sense 2 or 3 - not in sense 1 :slight_smile: The implication in being a Catholic Christian, is that one is not a Christian in sense 2 or 3: and it sounds as though you and he understood the word in different senses without realising it :slight_smile:

The word has acquired all sorts of different meanings and implications.

Hope that helps

[quote=Gottle of Geer]The word has acquired all sorts of different meanings and implications.

[/quote]

That is a good point. To be fair, many people several decades ago were taught as mainstream, the heresy that everyone who isn’t Catholic is going to hell. If he was so trained it could have partially explained why he could have reacted so strongly…

Alan

I may have a sick sense of humor but that story is hysterical!!
:rotfl:
You’ve been posting here for - how long? - and you experience the very thing that 's been discussed here countless times (Catholic vs Christian)

I think you’ve been given an opportunity.

SAve that number and keep calling that guy. He obviously needs some education!! And who knows why he was so rude - maybe having a bad day? If he could “beef up” his spiritual life maybe the rudeness would turn to peace.

Maybe God wants you to help him out a little…

Get his attention by apologizing and ask him what he meant by that (Trojan horse idea). With some patience, we may have another poster on these boards!!

[quote=Malachi4U]Then he said with great hostility, “Sir, I’m not Christian I’m Catholic!”

[/quote]

My first year of college I was at a party talking to my friend about how I was planning on making my confirmation soon, a girl nearby heard and said that, “you can’t get married until you do.” I told her I knew, and I affirmed that you cannot have a Christian wedding until you get confirmed (many people have civil weddings.) She then said “You’re not a Christian.” I told her I was, that Christianity has become divided into three main groups, you belong to one of them, either: Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. She kept insisting and so did I, she finally said, “This conversastion is over.” That was the first time I had ever heard that Catholics “are not Christians.” See in Syracuse there are a lot of Catholics, so even when I encountered anti-Catholicism in High School, I was still acknowledged as being a Christian. I went to college in the sticks so I had anti-Catholics from the boonies to confront. A year after I graduate and transfered, I stumbled across Catholic Answers, and it has been a life saver.

[quote=Malachi4U]“Sir, I’m not Christian I’m Catholic!”
[/quote]

Then he obviously doesn’t have the slightest idea of what it means to be Catholic.

I know.

He meant he was not Christian, as evidenced by his behavior, but that he was once baptized into the Church, with a capital “C”.

The correct response (offered too late of course) might have been, “that is wonderful, sir, then all you need to learn now is how to treat other people!”

Alan

I have to agree with Little Mary. I find this rather humorous, but sad too.

Lisa

It’s something very sad, but normal, the aggresivity with which some protestant proclaim that they are the only christians in the US make people feel that way…

but we are the original Christians.

[quote=Gray Sparrow]It’s something very sad, but normal, the aggresivity with which some protestant proclaim that they are the only christians in the US make people feel that way…

but we are the original Christians.
[/quote]

That is true, too. I’ve heard with just as much fervor, “I’m not Catholic; I’m a CHRISTIAN!”

Variation: Instead of “loudly” they say it “coyly.”

I guess the more adamant they are when they say the word “Christian” the more we’re supposed to think they are superior to us.

Once an office coworker had a book called, “Games Christians Play.” I wish I remembered more of it, but I do remember one game name: “MY Bible is more underlined than YOURS.”

Alan

The world is full of people who are ignorant, misinformed, willfully stubborn, arrogant, rude, uncouth, mean, or just plain stupid. As a cop, I deal with them every day. Obviously this guy was one of them. Say a prayer for him, and leave him to the mercy of God.

As for telemarketers, I used to answer the phone in German; “Guten Tag, Wolseley hier,” and when they started their spiel, I’d mess with them. “Entschuldigung, meine Herr, ich verstehe Sie nicht,” (“I’m sorry, sir, I don’t understand you,”) and when he’d stammer something else, Konnten Sie langsamer sprechen, bitte?" (“Can you please speak more slowly?”). Eventually he’d say something along the lines of “You have a nice day, sir,” and hang up. I’d never be troubled by that particular solicitor again. :slight_smile:

If I was really feeling particularly puckish, I’d answer the phone, “CIA, Langley,” and when they started in, I’d interrupt with, “How did you get this number? This is a secure line! Who is this?”, and then I’d bellow over my shoulder, "O’Brien! Start a trace!"

I got a lot of hang-ups that way. :wink:

Nowadays I have Vonage, and my phone service is supplied through the TV cable instead of the phone lines, so I don’t get telephone solicitations.

I’m waiting to hear, “I’m not Christian, I’m Methodiest.” That would be interesting. :smiley: Not true but, still something worth hearing.

Well I think we should hear more of this instead:
“I’m a Christian, not a Protestant…” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m so glad this thread was posted. I’ve been wanting to say something about this for a long time. If any of you haven’t already noticed, and if you’re like me, always look at a members profile to see their religion. I find myself many times shaking my head when I see many Protestants labelling themselves as “Christian” - as if Catholics are not!!

I’ve been wanting to post a thread myself titled “CATHOLICS ARE THE FULLNESS OF CHRISTIANITY AND OF JUDAISM - SINCE OUR LORD WAS JEWISH!”

The fact that there are ignorant Catholics who are not aware that they ARE the fullness of Christianity only solidifies the fact that more workers are needed for the harvest, especially in the United States!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!
I ALMOST FELL ON THE FLOOR WITH THAT ONE!! :rotfl: :bowdown:

[quote=Malachi4U] The problem is not the Church or it’s Dogma since that is from God. The problem is us Catholics! Catholics like I tried to witness to on the phone.

[/quote]

The problem isn’t with us Catholics, it is with SOME Catholics. Mainly the problem is with the Catholic In Name Only (CINO) Catholics and the Christmas and Easter (C&E) Catholics who do not know the first thing about the faith. They generally are the fuel that continues to fire the wrong image a lot of protestants have about our faith.

I have brought this same thing up a couple of times.
Who? Me? Non-Christian? But I’m a Devout Catholic! and Catholicism IS Christian.
You hear this mostly from Non-Catholics, but sadly a great many Catholics make the very same assertion without really understanding, which then complicates the whole problem all the more. it’s the mark of really tragically bad catechesis, (or else someone’s way of trying to discourage further discussion.) that could have resulted from either lousy teaching, or, (as in my own case), lack of attention and unconversion.

Either way it’s one of the reasons that CA exists and this forum in particular. It’s also just another sign of how busy we all should be in the faith formation programs in our parishes.

Luke 12:48 But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more

Here’s to the day when such remarks are never made again!
Pax vobiscum,

I have it on “Good Authority” that even as we read and write these messages, the Holy Spirit is summonsing lots of friends to help work the harvest! :smiley:

Alan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.