I'm afraid

:frowning: I’m pretty sure that everyone has heard of the whole, 2012 apocolypse thing.

I know it’s most likely not true, but…I’m still scared. My boyfriend keeps telling nothing will happen but I can’t help bu think…and even cry about the possibilities.
I almost feel selfish too. Worrying about myself when there are other people scared too.
I don’t know what to do. I already prayed that this craziness would stop, but I still feel afraid.
sigh

please don’t be afraid. nobody knows when the end of the world will come. we all should live each day as if it were our last. continue to love and worship God, love your neighbor and help those less fortunate than ourselves. do these things and if the end comes in our lifetime we won’t have anything to worry about. take care and stop worrying.

People have been prophesying that the world will end on a certain date, and guess what?

It didn’t.

Just last week I saw in one of the penny-dreadfuls at the supermarket the big headline that the world would end on 9 November 2009.

Guess what? I’m writing to you several days later.

Fretting about the end of the world won’t change anything that the Father has appointed. What if the world DOES end in 2012? Christianity teaches that this is NOT the end of the story. There’s the life of the world to come we confess in the Nicene Creed. THIS is what we’re supposed to be looking forward to.

One day, one way or the other, Jesus will come for you, for me, for all of us. Is that the worst thing that can happen–or the best thing that will ever happen?

Since the “2012 scare” has its origins in the Mayan calendar, methinks I will add my MX$2:):)!

1. There is no evidence that the Mayans themselves considered that the world’s ending was predicted for that date;

2. the Mayan and Aztec calendars were cyclical not linear — rather than the numbers getting always bigger as in AD, there was a repeating cycle of years. So the end of the cycle would, reasonably, lead to a new cycle, not the end. The Mayans presumably stopped counting at our year 2012 because that was already far enough ahead for their time (just like you can’t set the calendar on your PC for the year 7000);

3. our LORD Himself said that we could not predict the end and only God knew the time; certainly He would not assign to a bunch of pagans a knowledge He kept from His Church and His chosen people; and, most of all,

4. the BEST thing that can happen to you is to be alive when “The End” comes about! Since if that does happen, and you are prepared spiritually, you will go up to Heaven, without the ugliness of being dead, and have Life Everlasting!

So there you have it, 4 reasons not to be concerned about 2012; admittedly just my MX$2 (at current rates of exchange:):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

I don’t think it’s at all unusual that we might be fearful when we hear these predictions. I think the gross negativity the media throws at us makes it easy to expect the worst at every turn. The comfort I find is in that the Bible does tell us that “no man shall know the day”. It also helps when I recall how many times different religious groups and clairvoyants and others have given us the exact date that Armageddon will arrive…and that every one of those dates has come and gone without incident. :slight_smile:

Don’t be worried, dear. :slight_smile:

Trust in God, He alone knows the time. It isn’t always easy to do, I admit. But I have found great comfort in the old adage “Let go and let God.”

halo,
If the Living God walks beside you, you will never be afraid again. He is your best friend. Talk to Him everyday. Your fears will vanish.:smiley:

God so loved the world, he gave his One and Only Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

God bless,
bluelake

Christ Himself said it will come like a thief in the night (or words to that effect). I’m pretty sure that can be interpreted to mean we won’t know because a Hollywood film we see in the theater will prophocise it.

Besides, Mayan scholars in Mexico recently responded to the movie itself by insisting that the world was not going to end it 2012. And that’s we’re the idea came from in the first place, from Mayan legend (supposedly).

There are things you can control, and things you can’t control. Spending time worrying about things you cannot control is one of the ways Satan steals your fidelity to the Lord. Trust in God’s providence and live everyday as if it were your last – these are the things you can control.

Another way to look at it? The present is where time meets eternity. You cannot live your faith in the past, nor can you live your faith in the future. You can only be faithful right here and right now, so praise God!

Deo Gratia!

Well, let’s see:

“Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.” (1 Thessalonians 5:1-4)

So we see two points here. First, destruction will come when the wicked are not expecting it; so you can count 12/21/2012 as the least likely day for any major disaster. Second, those who belong to the Lord will not be taken by surprise; they will be prepared either physically or spiritually, or both.

Now, why would any Christian listen to what the unbelievers think about the future? We know the truth: “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.” (Matt. 13:11) Christians should be paying attention to the signs of the times, and listening to the prophets that God has given us (1 Thess. 5:20). And if you do, then you will see that there are plenty of prophecies yet to be fulfilled, including the Springtime for the Church. I recommend for all Christians the book Trial, Tribulation and Triumph by Desmond Birch, which is the best, most reliable book on Catholic prophecy from our Fathers, Doctors, and Saints, etc.

Be not afraid! Always seek God’s will for you first, and He will take care of the rest. God bless.

Please do not be afraid. Remember 10 years ago when the “doomsdayers” were scaring us about Y2K? Nothing happened. My advice is to pray that nothing happens and if something does happen, pray for the strenght to survive it. Again, I really don’t think anything is going to happen.

Why be afraid? We are supposed to live every single day as if it is our last. Stay close to Jesus, pray for Him to return quickly - what better thing could there be that for this world to be over and to be with Jesus forever!

On the movie “2012” Internet Movie Database page, the main trivia notes are (emphasis mine):

“The title refers to the end-date of the current (13th) b’ak’tun of the Long Count calendar, used by the Mayan Meso-American civilization. In their creation myth, we live in the fourth “attempt” at creating the world, while the third attempt was dismissed as a failure after its own 13th b’ak’tun. Though Mayan documents contain no such information, popular culture and certain religions predict an apocalyptic event at this date. It is popularly misunderstood that the calendar “ends” on this date, however the Long Count calendar can express dates from approximately 3000BC (their date for the creation of the current world) to approximately 40 octillion years in the future. It is almost impossible to express this date in a mortally comprehensible fashion.”

The doomsday theory has sprung from a Western idea, not a Mayan. Mayans insist that the world will not end in 2012. The Mayans had a talent for astronomy, and enthusiasts have found a series of astronomical alignments they say coincide in 2012, including one that happens roughly only once every 25,800 years. Once every 25,800 years, the sun lines up with the center of our Milky Way galaxy on a winter solstice, the sun’s lowest point in the horizon. The next time that will happen is on December 21, 2012; which happens to be the same day the Mayan calender expires. In addition to the Mayan calendar, the modern doomsday myth is bolstered several ostensibly scientific reasons for a disaster. Examples include a pole shift, the “return” of Planet X or the Sun’s sinister counterpart Nemesis, a galactic, planetary, or other celestial alignment, global warming, global cooling, a massive solar flare, a new ice age, and so on. None of these have any basis in respected science. For example,** the “galactic alignment” between the sun, Earth, and galactic center happens every December**. The best alignment was reached in the 1990s and was accompanied by its own set of doomsday theories. Alignments since then have been increasingly poor.”

So, I know a movie website probably isn’t the best source for facts, but I have heard and read this elsewhere, too. This was just the easiest way to show it.

Thanks everyone. :o
I do feel a little better. I was just scared I was going to die after I turned 22.
That I’d lose everyone and everythingthat I love.

A Christian should not be afraid to die.

Nothing in this life should be more important than Jesus.

Please, take some time to get things right with God and your priorities in order.

Do not be afraid…anxiety comes from the devil, never from God. If you love God then he is all you have and he can never be lost to you. Earthly possessions and relationships can be washed away over night whether the year is 2012, 4012 or tomorrow. Do not worry about losing the future so much that you miss out on worshiping God today. He has set a place for you in eternal life…focus on that and not arbitrary dates. Remember, no man knows the hour or the day - and to speculate on when is time spent taken away from focusing on eternity with Him.

Dear Halo
trust in the Lord.God loves all His children.We know when we die we pray for eternal life in heaven.So all those who have already died we pray for their souls to be granted eternal life.
I do not think for one minute the end of the world is going to happen in 2012 but if if does lets make the most of our life now and love one another and treat our life each day as if it were our last.So we are ready and prepared.We should be looking forwrd to the end of this life of this world our goal is eternal life with God!
Pray to God for comfort and guidance.Read the scriptures and re-assure yourself of Gods love and our future life beyond this short one!I hope this helps you.Try not to be afraid and trust in God.

“But as for that day or hour, nobody knows it, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, no one but the Father.”

Our Priest today reminded us that neither the mayans, nostradamas or even edgar cacey knows. Only the Father.

yes, no one knows the day. that is why we should be prepared. :slight_smile:

see Jn.3:16 to get started on your journey.

God bless,
bluelake

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.