I'm always challenged

Constantly at work. I’m not complaining, I love it. The thing is, I got a little stumped. My coworker was saying how the bible is written by men, I knew this, but they were led by the holy spirit. He just had all sorts of questions, and I tried my best to answer them. I finally concluded in telling him that the Holy Spirit changes people, I couldn’t, I merely make the occasion possible. How do we defend the bible and its truth? Please pray for him, he’s a great guy, and I think he is starting to see the truth. I need to pray for him more.

One way you can defend the Bible and its truth is through the teaching of the Church and Sacred Tradition. The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3: 15). Just like a pillar and foundation support and protects a building from falling, the Church protects and defend the truth from being covered and buried by false teachings.

At the same time, the Church passes the teachings from the Apostles to the next generation (1 Tim 6: 20; Jude 3), which we called Sacred, Apostolic Traditions. You can see them by reading from the teachings of the Early Church Fathers. The Early Church Fathers are early testimony and historical evidence on how the early Church practice. In addition, the Church Fathers also protected the truth from error and had great love and devotion towards them.

On top of that, the Church (guided by the Holy Spirit) put the Bible together. The Bible did not come from the sky. The Holy Spirit guided the authoritative body of the Church to pick which books and letters are inspired Word of God. Therefore, in recognizing that the Bible is the Word of God, we are also recognizing the authority that God work through to put the Bible together. Make sure you ask your friend how was the Bible put together.

I’ll pray for your friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.