I'm becoming Catholic my family isn't.

So I’m converting to Catholicism but my family is remaining Protestant. Are they going to hell for not being part of the true church? Please answer it’s weighing heavy on my mind. I love my family the thought of them in hell for not believing in the Eucharist scares me.

Are they baptized? The Church teaches that all baptized are in (a poor) communion with the Church. If they are baptized then technically they are, in a way, Catholic. Besides that point, only God decides where a person ends up after this life ends so no true Catholic would condemn another to Hell

The general answer is that, yes, most people would go to hell. However, there are exceptions and we really can’t say for sure who God will and won’t allow into heaven. Those that are ignorant through no fault of their own is an example of an exception.

The general answer to this general answer is YOU HAVE NO IDEA! We have no idea if there are many souls in Hell. We teach that God is love and that this love allows Him to draw everyone into His love.

So no, your family is not automatically going to be cast into the fires of Hell. With that said, I would still pray for them. Who knows, they may see how much the Church is doing for you and end up becoming Catholic too.

The true Church teaching is that we can't know if anyone is going to Hell. We cannot know souls and so we cannot know whether the number of Hellbound souls is very great, or vanishingly small. We do know that there are millions of saints in Heaven. We have infallible proclamations for thousands of them. You do have an opportunity to sanctify your family and bring them closer to God and the Truth by witnessing to them. Use words if necessary.

Just keep praying for the conversion of your family. If your family can witness how much peace you find with the Truth that is Catholicism, maybe (but maybe not) they would be more open to learning about it and God willing, make the leap of faith themselves. You know the peace and Truth you've found. To share it with them you have to "live" it. So just focus on your own spirituality for the time being. Get yourself to where you need to be, pray for them every day and let God's will be done.

I recommend talking to your priest about this one.

[quote="dconklin, post:4, topic:283496"]
The general answer to this general answer is YOU HAVE NO IDEA! We have no idea if there are many souls in Hell. We teach that God is love and that this love allows Him to draw everyone into His love.

So no, your family is not automatically going to be cast into the fires of Hell. With that said, I would still pray for them. Who knows, they may see how much the Church is doing for you and end up becoming Catholic too.

[/quote]

Caps and red? Is that really necassary?:rolleyes:

Is it not generally accepted that if you do not accept the teachings of the Church that you will go to hell? I think so. However, as I said there are many exceptions so we can't know if any particular person would go to hell or not.

So, before we go to using caps and red and come off a little aggressive and insulting perhaps we can rethink what I said. :rolleyes:

[quote="anonymousdollz, post:1, topic:283496"]
So I'm converting to Catholicism but my family is remaining Protestant. Are they going to hell for not being part of the true church? Please answer it's weighing heavy on my mind. I love my family the thought of them in hell for not believing in the Eucharist scares me.

[/quote]

No as long as they believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour they are saved by his grace and mercy, living a Christian life.

Who told you someone needs the RCC Eucharist to avoid the fires of hell?

[quote="mcrow, post:3, topic:283496"]
The general answer is that, yes, most people would go to hell. However, there are exceptions and we really can't say for sure who God will and won't allow into heaven. Those that are ignorant through no fault of their own is an example of an exception.

[/quote]

Sorry you are wrong, one does not need the eucharist to go to heaven.

[quote="Luvtosew, post:10, topic:283496"]
Sorry you are wrong, one does not need the eucharist to go to heaven.

[/quote]

O RLY?

How do you interpret this chapter:

[BIBLEDRB]John 6:54/BIBLEDRB

[quote="Luvtosew, post:9, topic:283496"]
No as long as they believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour they are saved by his grace and mercy, living a Christian life.

[/quote]

I think the OP is asking in the context of the Catholic view. Not that non-Catholics have nothing to add but I believe he/she is asking about the Catholiv teaching on the matter.

I think many Protestants will probably go to Heaven via not knowing better but generally being of otherwise good Christian makeup.

I do think that if you know the teachings of the Church and deny them then that could be another story. But that's just my opinion and knowing who counts as being "ignorant" and who doesn't is humanly impossible.

[quote="Elizium23, post:11, topic:283496"]
O RLY?

[/quote]

This and it is a sacrament. Sacraments are necassary for salvation according to the church.

So, deny the sacraments=no heaven (baring exceptions of course).

O RLY?

[/quote]

You beat me to it haha :yup:

O RLY?

[/quote]

Nothing to do with the Last Supper. Jesus is using a hyperbole, he is not suggesting they eat his flesh or drink his blood. It means to consume every word that comes from his mouth and believe in him as the son of God.

[quote="Luvtosew, post:15, topic:283496"]
Nothing to do with the Last Supper. Jesus is using a hyperbole, he is not suggesting they eat his flesh or drink his blood. It means to consume every word that comes from his mouth and believe in him as the son of God.

[/quote]

Perhaps this is another instance of Christ telling us what is ahead?:D

I do believe this verse is part of the prophecy.

[quote="Luvtosew, post:15, topic:283496"]

[/quote]

In John Chapter 6, Jesus says that mankind must eat His flesh and drink His blood to have eternal life in him. The Jews became angry at this statement because man is not supposed to eat bloody animals let alone another human being. Most of His disciples left him because they did not agree. If Christ meant it symbolically, He would have stopped them and clarified as he did in other cases. Instead of doing that, He turned to His apostles and asked them if they would leave Him as well over the issue. There is no other way to interperet this statement. Christ wants EVERYONE to have eternal life. Why would He let others walk away from "the light of the world" if he could have easily clarified?

[/quote]

It's not the RCC Eucharist, it's Jesus Christ in the flesh. My God and Savior, your God and Savior. If someone is ignorant of Christ's real presence then yes that would not apply to them. However any Christian with a Bible is no longer safe from "ignorance". The KJV, while being cherry picked when it was assembled by man, still has Christ instituting the Eucharist. Nowhere does He say nor imply that it is meaningless/symbolic. On the contrary, He is quoted throughout the new testament calling His followers to receiving Him in the Eucharist. Catholics have always believed this. The Early Church fathers before the "Catholic Church" as its known today, they all believed in Christ's literal presence. There has never once been documentation stating otherwise until protestants came along (keeping in mind this was when luther and calvin and the likes were picking what to keep from the Bible, what to change and what to omit entirely). They were creating their own understanding of Christianity and in doing so corrupted just about everything. Hence why they are not the True Church.

John 6:33-52

For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

34 “Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.”

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

41 At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”

43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’[d] Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” **
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “
How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”**

[/quote]

James 2:18-20

18 But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. 19 Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Mathew 7:13-14

13 Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. 14 How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!

Am not exactly sure where everyone is getting this idea that the majority of people will be entering heaven, when the Lord said only a few will enter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.