I'm being baptised into the Church at Easter but I'm still using contraception

Before I was married I started using BC to help my horrible cycles. We weren't active so it wasn't a 'contraceptive' it was just to help ease the pain. About 2 months before we got married, I decided to stop using it. I didn't want to have a hand in possibly killing a future child of ours. According to the Church, I could still take it for medical reasons, but my reasoning is; I can suffer for a week for the sake of my children.

So, all that being said, as long as you and your bf are not active, which I read you are working on, then your bc would be medicinal not contraceptive. After you get married, however, you may need to look into other alternative medication for it.

Talk to your priest. This is a common issue and one you shouldn't be ashamed of!:D Good luck, you are in my prayers!

[quote="Havard, post:20, topic:232378"]
Pardon me if this is intrusive, but since you brought it up, does your boyfriend want to stop having sex also? How supportive is he of your desire to stop?

[/quote]

Not very to be honest. He's not religious and doesn't see what harm it can do. But he knows how important it is to me - he's told me before we started that he's gonna find it really hard but we're just taking each day as it comes. He has a natural suspicion of religion especially of the CC - and for very good reasons - so its hard for him in more than the obvious way.

L&L,

It sounds like you have been making a lot of progress with your boyfriend from when your first came on. Sometimes the best we can do is keep an open mind to there being a better answer in the future especially as NaPro technology gets better. I second what the other poster said that you are not using contraception you are using a medication that has contraceptive side effects. This is a big difference. It is in intent.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:22, topic:232378"]
Not very to be honest. He's not religious and doesn't see what harm it can do. But he knows how important it is to me - he's told me before we started that he's gonna find it really hard but we're just taking each day as it comes. He has a natural suspicion of religion especially of the CC - and for very good reasons - so its hard for him in more than the obvious way.

[/quote]

That's a bad sign, L&L... if sex is a stumbling block for you, the last thing you need is to date someone who'd rather you give up on a chastity, and is a ready and willing accomplice. Even if he's generally trying to respect your wishes, if you stumble without any inducement on his end, and he's ready to participate in your fall, it's not healthy.

Is this someone you potentially would marry? Or not? It's really difficult to become chaste, but even more so with someone who you have already had relations with. I feel for you and I hate to think that you are setting yourself up for failure.

I suggest finding an NFP doctor through either OneMoreSoul or the Pope Paul Institute/FertilityCare.

These doctors specialize in treating all types of disorders without the use of contraceptives. They may very well know of a way to treat your IBS.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:232378"]
You aren't "using contraception."

You are treating a medical condition with hormones that also have the effect of making you termporarily sterile. This is morally permissable.

I assume you have discontinued **premarital **sexual relations. You do not state if you are married or not.

[/quote]

She's not married, unless she's referring to her husband as "boyfriend"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.