I'm being serious Is Farting/Burping a Sin?

In public or in Church? :smiley: . I am being serious though what about the place of manners. Is it sinful…? You just can’t imagine a Saint…erm…letting rip:o

These are natural bodily functions, no more sinful than breathing. I think they can be offense if one is not “discreet”. I would think that if you are in Mass and have to let one go, you would excuse yourself and use the restroom. This is just common courtesy. Stinking up the pew (parton the pun) during the Eucharisic liturgy is just plain rude, AND it takes the focus off Jesus, where it should be. Sorta no different from a teenage girl wearing a miniskirt and tube top to Mass. This is an odd question, I would think that common courtesy would rule the day in most cases.

[quote=Apologia100]These are natural bodily functions, no more sinful than breathing. I think they can be offense if one is not “discreet”. I would think that if you are in Mass and have to let one go, you would excuse yourself and use the restroom. This is just common courtesy. Stinking up the pew (parton the pun) during the Eucharisic liturgy is just plain rude, AND it takes the focus off Jesus, where it should be. Sorta no different from a teenage girl wearing a miniskirt and tube top to Mass. This is an odd question, I would think that common courtesy would rule the day in most cases.
[/quote]

I Know it seems like a silly question but you know. Sometimes you can’t excuse yourself…mebbe just venial eh?:ehh:

[quote=John of Woking]In public or in Church? :smiley: . I am being serious though what about the place of manners. Is it sinful…? You just can’t imagine a Saint…erm…letting rip:o
[/quote]

Well if you kill or harm someone it certainly is.:smiley:

Sorry couldn’t resist. :rotfl:

[quote=Jermosh]Well if you kill or harm someone it certainly is.:smiley:

Sorry couldn’t resist. :rotfl:
[/quote]

I used to do Cross country running and would eat loads of beans and race to the front and try and put people off with a constant stream of emissions from my rear. It was before I was a Catholic though so I put it down to that:D

Ah, the old joke:

Confucius say: He who fart in church sit in pew.

I haven’t thought of that one for years! :smiley:

If one deliberately intends to be offensive or disruptive–eating a whole dish of chili, say, and then “letting go” next to a gaggle of little old ladies because you think they’re old, ugly, hypocrites, etc.–I would think that would be sinful behavior.

If you have GERD (my brother does), or IBS (as I do), and your disease acts up idiopathically (as it too often does), and you try desperately to be discrete, considerate, and courteous, yet “accidents happen”–I can’t see that it could be a sin. After all, doesn’t sin require full knowledge, and full consent of the will?

[quote=Tantum ergo]Ah, the old joke:

Confucius say: He who fart in church sit in pew.

I haven’t thought of that one for years! :smiley:

If one deliberately intends to be offensive or disruptive–eating a whole dish of chili, say, and then “letting go” next to a gaggle of little old ladies because you think they’re old, ugly, hypocrites, etc.–I would think that would be sinful behavior.

If you have GERD (my brother does), or IBS (as I do), and your disease acts up idiopathically (as it too often does), and you try desperately to be discrete, considerate, and courteous, yet “accidents happen”–I can’t see that it could be a sin. After all, doesn’t sin require full knowledge, and full consent of the will?
[/quote]

Its humiliating enough when you follow through or skidmark your Y’s :eek: . No one sees it but you **know **it and they **smell **it

[quote=Apologia100] Stinking up the pew (parton the pun) …
[/quote]

I don’t mean to be irreverent…but do you think this is where the expression “pee-u” came from?:hmmm:
Annunciata:)

If it is… then my husband has a lot of penance to do.

[quote=Annunciata]I don’t mean to be irreverent…but do you think this is where the expression “pee-u” came from?:hmmm:
Annunciata:)
[/quote]

Oh My…
:rotfl:

Have you ever notice how when it happens people in the pew …kind of give those looks out of the corner of their eyes… :smiley:

[quote=ridesawhitehors]If it is… then my husband has a lot of penance to do.
[/quote]

;)  lol!  I was thinking the same thing

Gwen

[quote=ridesawhitehors]If it is… then my husband has a lot of penance to do.
[/quote]

And Martin Luther would be in Hell. :smiley:

I’m not saying that he IS, mind you. Just that he prided himself as being quite the flatulator, if I may coin a term…

[quote=The Barrister]And Martin Luther would be in Hell. :smiley:

I’m not saying that he IS, mind you. Just that he prided himself as being quite the flatulator, if I may coin a term…
[/quote]

Oh yeah…he’s down there :clapping: :smiley: :yup: :amen:

Just Kidding! I Pray that he repented and is enjoying the Beatific Vision…

after a long hard slog in Purgatory:)

[quote=Apologia100] Stinking up the pew (parton the pun) during the Eucharisic liturgy QUOTE]

I wounder if that is where we got the term “STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN.” :rotfl:
[/quote]

[quote=John of Woking]In public or in Church? :smiley: . I am being serious though what about the place of manners. Is it sinful…? You just can’t imagine a Saint…erm…letting rip:o
[/quote]

Hmmm… Since God created everything including various biological processes I’d say gaseous evacutations are not inherently sinful it’s how we use them. :o

Above all else we must remember to do all things to the glory of the Lord. :clapping:

I can’t imagine it is sinful unless you are enhancing your “toot” to annoy your wife or the lady next to you. No tooting to make the kids laugh during mass either. Reserve that for the dinner table.:whistle:

[quote=Apologia100]These are natural bodily functions, no more sinful than breathing. I think they can be offense if one is not “discreet”. I would think that if you are in Mass and have to let one go, you would excuse yourself and use the restroom. This is just common courtesy. Stinking up the pew (parton the pun) during the Eucharisic liturgy is just plain rude, AND it takes the focus off Jesus, where it should be. Sorta no different from a teenage girl wearing a miniskirt and tube top to Mass. This is an odd question, I would think that common courtesy would rule the day in most cases.
[/quote]

Sorta no different? That makes for an interesting moral theology…

It is extremely different. A smell is not a moral issue, any more than a color is. Modesty is a moral issue.

In an interesting sidelight (well, I think so, anyway), the Muslims have a complex cleansing ritual called the wuduu* that they must perform before going to *salat* (prayer). However, if they pass gas after doing *wuduu, they are defiled and must go back and do it all over again.

As concerns whether or not farting is a sin, if it is, I am doomed to hell. Just ask my wife. And my grown sons.

DaveBj

[/quote]

John . If your not sure what the answer is Ill tell you.But first you need to read 1 corinth ch13. Now if you are walking in the love of our Lord Jesus Christ you will know that Love is not rude,Love has manners. I hope I have answered your question. :smiley:

[quote=DaveBj]In an interesting sidelight (well, I think so, anyway), the Muslims have a complex cleansing ritual called the wuduu* that they must perform before going to *salat* (prayer). However, if they pass gas after doing *wuduu, they are defiled and must go back and do it all over again.

As concerns whether or not farting is a sin, if it is, I am doomed to hell. Just ask my wife. And my grown sons.

DaveBj
[/quote]

Warning Farts are always louder when sitting on a hard surface.:yup:

It was q.embarassing recently I was having a joke with my boss in the office and because I was laughing quite loud I let rip. Sometimes you can’t help it esp. when you are doing a number 1.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.