I'm Catholic but need help with this statement

**I saw where Mary was compared to the ark of the covenant, and the assertion that had to be sinless to carry the Son of God, or she would die as Uzzah did.

Here’s the problem with that:

Num 4 5 "When the camp sets out, Aaron and his sons shall go in and they shall take down the veil of the screen and cover the ark of the testimony with it; 6 and they shall lay a covering of porpoise skin on it, and shall spread over [it] a cloth of pure blue, and shall insert its poles.

15 "When Aaron and his sons have finished covering the holy [objects] and all the furnishings of the sanctuary, when the camp is to set out, after that the sons of Kohath shall come to carry [them], so that they will not touch the holy [objects] and die. These are the things in the tent of meeting which the sons of Kohath are to carry.

Notice that touching the Holy Objects themselves was the cause of death, and not God’s presence. (Using that logic, anyone who touched Mary would have to die.)

2 Sam 6 6 But when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out toward the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen nearly upset [it]. 7 And the anger of the Lord burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God.

In fact, God’s presence wasn’t inside the ark, but hovered over top, and only after the tent of meeting was set up.

Levi 16 2 The Lord said to Moses, "Tell your brother Aaron that he shall not enter at any time into the holy place inside the veil, before the mercy seat which is on the ark , or he will die; for I will appear in the cloud over** the mercy seat.

So, the idea that Mary is the Ark of the Covenant, and had to be sinless to carry God, based upon the Uzzah story just don’t hold any water.

catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?RecNum=6811
Mary: The Ark of the New Covenant

While I am not trying to pretend to answer everthing you have put forth here I do want to note that the Ark of the Covenant contained within it the Old Covenant, the Law. Mary was the Ark of the New Covenant. The New Covenant was Jesus Christ. The Ark of the Covenant was lined with the purest material available, which was pure gold. Mary, the Ark of the New Covenant had to be even more pure.

Hmm… I’m seeing now that you apparently read someone had said that Mary had to be pure to carry God or they would be slain like Uzzah when he reached out to steady the ark. I hadn’t heard that in that way. I was in a hurry to respond, so I guess I didn’t read very carefully. What I heard about Uzzah being slain for touching the Ark was compared to Mary’s perpetual virginity…

If you are Catholic I’m surprised that you attempt to refute its teaching.

However, you are trying to disprove a statement by comparing apples and oranges. The teaching is that Mary is LIKE the Ark of the Covenant not that she IS the Ark. Now, she IS the Ark of the New Covenant, alike, but not identical just like the apples and oranges, both fruits but different.

Check out the link provided by dosdog, it does a fine job of explaining how types are alike but different.

the veil of the screen and cover is the veil between the inner and the outer rooms of the sanctuary. Check Exodus 26:verses 31-33.

You left verse 3, **From thirty years old and upward, to fifty years old, of all that go in to stand and to minister in the tabernacle of the covenant. **
In this verse Among the Levites take a total of the Kohath, by clans and ancestral houses, all the men of the Kohath between 30 and 50 years of age are to undertake obligatory tasks in the meeting tent but at a later period the Levites began to serve when they were 25 or even only 20 years old.

All analogies break down after some point.

For example, the Ark of the Covenant was taken by the Philistines (in 1 Samuel 4:3-11), who sent it back after retaining it seven months (in 1 Samuel 5:7-8) because of the events said to have transpired.

Yet I’m not aware of any Catholic who believed that Mary was captured by pagans for seven months before being returned because of all the bad things that happened during her capture.

Out of curiosity the men of Beth-shemesh gazed at the Ark; and as a punishment possibly upward to fifty thousand of them were smitten by the Lord (in 1 Samuel 6:19).

And if one wants to argue that the Ark is more symbolic of Christ than Mary, then every objection they point out against Mary being the Ark also applies to Jesus too-- and no one died by touching Jesus’s body. Quite the opposite. Many people were healed by reaching out to the Lord.

Analogies are analogies. Not same replica.It’s the whole picture.

YES I’m catholic but if you had read the question I said I need help with this statement and I’m not refuting anything,I 'm here to learn. Thank You

Will, Jesus is the new Adam…does it mean Jesus shares all Adam’s details?

salvationhistory.com/library/apologetics/mary.cfm#L1

I stand corrected then.

Did you check out the link? Also do a search in “Catholic Answers” for the Ark.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.