I'm confused about the Blessed Virgin Mary

Since I was a little kid, I always PRAYED TO Mary, asked her for help, for her to protect me and my family. Maybe it is a similar relationship like the one I have with the Holy Trinity. I’ve lately been reading that allegedly that is not correct. Can someone please tell me what should I do. I love her like my mother but I don’t want to sin by reverencing her inappropriately. I can’t even pray the rosary the way I used to do because of my confusion. Please help. God bless

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with praying for the intercession of the BVM. She is our motherly advocate. Who told you otherwise and what exactly did they say?

2 Likes

The way you describe, you are not strictly speaking “praying to” Mary. You are asking her for her intercession with God when you ask for her help. You are also asking for her protection, which is OK as she helps watch out for her children. Pope JPII credited her with saving him from the assassin’s bullet.

“Praying to Mary” or “Praying to St. ______” is shorthand that Catholics use when we really realize, if we sat down to think about it, that we are praying to God through or via Mary or the saint. Mary and the saints do all that they do through the power of God and are basically intercessors. Mary is also our mediatrix with God and dispenses God’s grace to us.

The wording of “praying to Mary” only becomes a big deal when somebody, usually a non-Catholic, tries to claim that we “worship” Mary or that we are treating Mary like a god in her own right. We don’t worship her and we do not consider her to be God, or a god.

It sounds to me like you’re praying just fine. There are entire Catholic hymns with lines like “Mary help us, help we pray.” The old prayer “We fly to thy patronage, o Holy Mother of God” asks her specifically to “deliver us always from all dangers” (in other words protect us). The very old prayer “Memorare” says, “Remember, O Most Gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided”, showing the ways in which we reach out to Mary: we ask her to protect us, we ask her for her help, and we ask her for her intercession.

Don’t worry about it and go right back to praying your rosary and loving Our Holy Mother. Be at peace.

3 Likes

Do you think Mary is God? If not, you are fine.

2 Likes

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus, holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen. Now, tell me, how is that any different than asking a friend to pray for you other than the fact that this friend’s already in heaven?

2 Likes

Thank you dear friend for sharing this:

Let;s start at the top:

Here is the Hail Mary and its biblical foundation
Hail Mary, [Lk. 1:28]
Full of Grace [Lk. 1:28]
The Lord is with thee [Lk 1:27]
Blessed are you among all women [Lk 1:42]
And Blessed in the fruit of your womb: Jesus [Lk. 1;42]
Holy Mary [Lk.1: 28]
Mother of God 1:35
Pray for us sinners [our catholic petition]
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen” [I BELIEVE!]

Romans 12: 2 “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. “

So WHY do Catholics understand that Mary is too OUR Spiritual Mother?

The SHORT answer is because JESUS HIMSELF SAID SO:grinning:

John 19: 25-28 [25] Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen. [26] When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved[John] he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. [27] After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.[28] Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst.

Permit me please to explain the significance of these verses.

1. Jesus recognizes HIS Mother and the beloved John
  2. Mere moments from Death Jesus; in excruciating pain; gives HIS Mother whom he identifies as “women” to John who represents here all of humanity; as our Mother too.
  3. Just before expiring Jesus** SHOUTS “I thirst**.”
  4. Jesus having had nothing to eat or drink for at least 12 hours; through the false-judgment; the scourging; carrying His Cross uphill to Calvary; being NAILED to the Cross on which He has now hung for 3 more hours; SCREAMS seconds before He Dies:** I THIRST!**

SURELY this does not mean a physical thirst; though that is self-evident. So WHAT is Jesus Teaching US in this Lesson?

Jesus is proclaiming that He desires to do even more than ALL He has already done; already accomplished. So WHAT then is this MORE Jesus desires to leave humanity?

This More takes 3 forms:

1. His One True Faith & Church

2. His Catholic Birthed Bible [time does not exist for GOD; everything is Present]

3. His Mother to guide, intercede, protect & lead Souls to Him and Jesus’ Personally chosen envoy “par-excellence”; as no other can be more effective in leading Souls to Jesus than can his; & now OUR Mother.

I pray my friend that this reflection eases your mind. Mary is too OUR Mother because Jesus said so. AMEN

Blessings
Patrick

4 Likes

You are fine. There is nothing at all wrong with praying to Mary as your mother in heaven. It is the same as earnestly asking your own mother or brothers or earthly friends to pray for you. You are praying TO them asking their intercession in prayer to God for you.

What you owe to the Trinity as God and Creator—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—is much more than prayer. You worship God as your Creator, who brought you into being from nothing and holds you in existence. You owe the Father the offering of his Son at Mass for your own redemption and the redemption of mankind. You worship the Persons of the Trinity as a creature worships his creator. That is much different than praying to Mary, or the saints, or your friends on earth for their help in praying for you. We are called the communion of saints because we are all in this together and help one another, whether on earth or in heaven.

2 Likes

You must be reading anti-Catholic sites. My suggestion is to stay away from sites that go against the Catholic faith.

Resume prayer and the rosary and ignore ignorant people who try to confuse you.

2 Likes

hectorturcios11:

Since I was a little kid, I always PRAYED TO Mary, asked her for help, for her to protect me and my family. Maybe it is a similar relationship like the one I have with the Holy Trinity. I’ve lately been reading that allegedly that is not correct. Can someone please tell me what should I do. I love her like my mother but I don’t want to sin by reverencing her inappropriately. I can’t even pray the rosary the way I used to do because of my confusion. Please help. God bless

Keep up the good work hectorturcios11.

I pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary frequently too.

God bless.

Cathoholic

PS Beware of imbibing a notion of prayer by some Protestants. That is . . . . That ALL prayer = “worship”.

It doesn’t.

Protestants have no ministerial priesthood and thus cannot re-present the Sacrifice of Christ at Calvary (with ourselves in union to that one, once for all Sacrifice).

There IS no Eucharist in Protestantism because there is no ministerial priesthood to confect the Holy Eucharist.

Prayer CAN be worship. But prayer is not NECESSARILY worship.

Protestant services highest form of worship is prayer–not offering sacrifice (sacrifice at least in the sense of the Mass).

So when they see (hear of) Catholics praying to Mary and other Saints, some of them jump to the (wrong) conclusion that Catholics are “worshipping” Saints. (Their highest form of worship)

This Protestant “ethos” (including the prayer to Saints objections) has been pervasive in our society.

Don’t fall for it and don’t let Protestants define your prayer life.

As I said, keep up the good work. Keep praying to the Saints in the manner you are doing!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.