I'm confused

I have a question…

It’s my understanding that when I got Confirmed last November, I recieved the Holy Spirit.

Now, I was baptized 4 years ago in a Presbyterian church and I thought I already recieved the Holy Spirit then. :confused:

I guess my question is, did I not have the HS when I was baptized??? Or did I recieve the “fullness” of the HS when I came into the Church?:wink:

I think the Latter.

Ok, here is what my initial reaction is on this one.

If you were Baptised in the proper rite, must have water and an invocation of the name of the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost), then the Holy Spirit did come to you and put you in a state of grace.

At Confirmation, you are confirming your Baptismal vows, not rebaptising, and taking on the deeper level of the church as an adult within the church. This is why when children are of a certain age come into the church they are not just baptised, because at baptism as a child the parents make the pronouncement of faith for you, but must be confirmed in the church because they have reached an age where they can make the statment of Faith for themselves.

Does this help? The Holy Spirit never left you, he just watched you make the choice for yourself at the confirmation, hence to be Confirmed with Christ. :smiley:

The sacrament of Baptism removes Original Sin and makes us members of the body of Christ. Not members just in the sense of belonging to a club, but members in the sense of being like cells or parts of the Mystical Body of Christ.The Holy Spirit comes to dwell within with His sevenfold gifts which are listed in Isaiah 11:2-3. We become adopted children of God and brothers and sisters of Our Lord Jesus. Confirmation brings the Spirit on us more powerfully to reinforce and strengthen the Isaiah gifts as well as to bring other gifts that equip us to become active in building up the Kingdom, i.e. spreading the Gospel. Some of these gifts are mentioned in Paul’s epistles. Both Sacraments place a permanent seal or mark on the soul and so are not received more than once. All the Sacraments increase what the Church calls Sanctifying Grace, which put simply is a sharing in very life of love that exists between the three persons of the Trinity. Both John’s Gospel and Pauls epistles make it quite plain that we are temples of the Holy Spirit as well as of the Father and the Son. The conditions are that we love God and keep the Commandments. So God does not come to us only once, but again and again with a love that cannot leave us alone and orphans unless we chose to push him away and reject his love.

True but when the priest put the oil on my forehead, “be sealed with the HOly Spirit” was said obviously as if I just recieved the HS, like as if I never got Him before!

I must be taken it outa context:rolleyes::smiley:

[quote=kp1]Ok, here is what my initial reaction is on this one.

If you were Baptised in the proper rite, must have water and an invocation of the name of the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost), then the Holy Spirit did come to you and put you in a state of grace.

At Confirmation, you are confirming your Baptismal vows, not rebaptising, and taking on the deeper level of the church as an adult within the church. This is why when children are of a certain age come into the church they are not just baptised, because at baptism as a child the parents make the pronouncement of faith for you, but must be confirmed in the church because they have reached an age where they can make the statment of Faith for themselves.

Does this help? The Holy Spirit never left you, he just watched you make the choice for yourself at the confirmation, hence to be Confirmed with Christ. :smiley:
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.