I'm converting

Can anyone guide me along the process of what the RCIA involves?

I know some RCIA’s are diffrent (im scotland) but in the end the process leads to the same beautiful ending.

Any help is appreciated!

Go to your nearest parish, and talk to the parish Priest there. He’ll help you get on track. Your parish might not have RCIA, but I think you’ll receive some sort of instruction.

Just to ask, you say you’re formerly agnostic. But were you baptised by anyone?

no I’ve never been baptised, i was raised without any real form of religion.

I went to church when i was 12/13 by myself as i was curious but i stopped going soon after that, i did really like it aswell but i had the attention span of a gnat, I have ADD but i am alot more focused now than i was when i was younger

Godspeed on your journey, Holy Mother Church is waiting!

welcome home

Welcome home, God bless you. :)
Praying for you!

Talk to a parish priest and they can get you started in the right direction.

God’s blessings,
Joshua

This is wonderful!

I’ve been wondering what happened to you :smiley:

I think you will have to wait for next autumn to start RCIA unless you find a priest who would be willing to instruct you one on one. In that case you could start immediately and be received when he decides you are ready.

In case you are at Edinburgh University I would recommend the dominicans at George square. It is a great place to be and I have fond memories of attending mass there a few years back.

RCIA would cover all aspects of the Catholic faith. It is taught by a priest or lay people (or both). Since you have not been baptised you would be baptised, confirmed and would take communion all on the same day. You would probably be expected to go to confession a few weeks after that.

I found Catholicism for Dummies a really good, informative book. It would be a great source of info during this process.

God bless and best of luck!

Ah, okay, that’s important to tell your priest. He might baptise you right away, or put you through RCIA first :slight_smile: But, talk to a Priest!

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:8, topic:267400"]
This is wonderful!

I've been wondering what happened to you :D

I think you will have to wait for next autumn to start RCIA unless you find a priest who would be willing to instruct you one on one. In that case you could start immediately and be received when he decides you are ready.

In case you are at Edinburgh University I would recommend the dominicans at George square. It is a great place to be and I have fond memories of attending mass there a few years back.

RCIA would cover all aspects of the Catholic faith. It is taught by a priest or lay people (or both). Since you have not been baptised you would be baptised, confirmed and would take communion all on the same day. You would probably be expected to go to confession a few weeks after that.

I found Catholicism for Dummies a really good, informative book. It would be a great source of info during this process.

God bless and best of luck!

[/quote]

That's where i actually started going with the ex! I know a couple of the Priests there and i don't think they would mind if i did go along to have some of my questions answered even though i'm not a student there. I go to the sacred heart just off lauriston place if you know that?

God Bless and Thank you so much for your support

As others have said, make an appointment and speak with a parish priest. (He may direct you to a Coordinator of RCIA - that’s okay, too.)

Even if you can’t formally start RCIA yet, you can “visit” the Catechism classes for as long as they’re going on, to start to get a basic understanding, so that next year when you’re doing it “for real” you’ll already have some grounding.

You can also start attending Mass every Sunday, even though you don’t yet receive Holy Communion, and start participating in social activities, making friends, and getting involved in various projects that don’t require you to be a fully initiated Catholic.

But get (and keep) in touch with a parish priest.

Okay, first: you take away “agnostic” from your profile! :smiley:

Welcome to your journey Home, I’m very happy for you. :clapping:

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:12, topic:267400"]
Okay, first: you take away "agnostic" from your profile! :D

Welcome to your journey Home, I'm very happy for you. :clapping:

[/quote]

haha yeh, can't figure out how to do that! :confused:

Profile>Control Panel>>Edit Your Details

Don’t know what to do about your name, tho’… maybe a mod can help you with that.

-Go to your page (click on your name to do that :p),
-Then click on your “about me” page. “Religion” is the fourth item listed.
-Click on the “edit” button in your “about me” page to edit anything there.
-Then delete agnostic and replace it with whatever description you want to include there.

Peace.

i might just make a new account and come back, i'm not to sure i can change my username

[SIGN]YAY!!![/SIGN]

[quote="theagnosticcath, post:16, topic:267400"]
i might just make a new account and come back, i'm not to sure i can change my username

[/quote]

I see you only have 33 posts, so yeah, it's worth just getting a new one. I'd PM a mod though so they don't think you are trying to multiaccount, just to let them know.

Hey, how fun is this?!!

I don’t think it matters i only have 33 posts, there is going to be alot more from now on!

I’ve actually posted something on the ‘staff chat’ asking if i can get my username changed, so i’m going to wait on that first, i’d prefer to keep my first account, actually a tad attached to it :o

I live around the corner from Sacred Heart :slight_smile:

But I go to mass at St. Andrew’s church (by Dean Gallery) that has the EF mass. In case you are interested in the traditional liturgy (and all that Latin stuff) you are very welcome to come and check it out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.